Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1353885569' post='1879482']
Sadly I have had it looked at by various medical professionals :(

Over many years I have broken my knuckles four times.
I now have arthritus that is agrevated by playing bass.

I have been advised on several occaisions to give up playing.

When I can no longer play, I will give up!
[/quote]

Oh no :( but maybe it is better to prolong the life of your hands than the life of your gigging career. you need your hands for everything man, and who knows how many more years you are going to be kicking around.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353885718' post='1879484']
Oh no :( but maybe it is better to prolong the life of your hands than the life of your gigging career. you need your hands for everything man, and who knows how many more years you are going to be kicking around.
[/quote]

You are correct of course but I am a stubborn middle aged bloke who does not give in easily.....

Over the last few months it has got worse but I just don't want to give up playing.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1353886072' post='1879488']
You are correct of course but I am a stubborn middle aged bloke who does not give in easily.....

Over the last few months it has got worse but I just don't want to give up playing.
[/quote]

Understandable... obviously anything i say won't change your mind, and will probably just rub you up the wrong way, so good luck :)

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1353931185' post='1879782']
I needed something out of the shed just as it started to fall down! Stepped on the deck and went straight down on my back. I hurts everywhere, I can barely walk. I was hoping a couple of diazepam might have done the trick but looks like im off to A&E when my daughters gets in from school! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

are bassists the most careless and nonchalant people ever? get well soon mate :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1353937941' post='1879919']
are bassists the most careless and nonchalant people ever? get well soon mate :)
[/quote]

Thanks mate, I dont intend to turn this into a boring back ache thread. But in my years of "falling over" incidents I have had two in the last 12 months that were bad. The last one was finding a wasp nest in my shed and backing out quickly only to stumble and do a backwards roll into my other shed! I was seeing stars after that one. But, this was so fast. I put my fut down and felt it go, next thing I was on my back. didnt even have time to break my fall by landing on my backside. I went straight down on my back flat on the floor. My decking and concrete step helped me break my fall!. Im back to doctors tommorow. I had an awful night and this morning I cant bend or stoop! But, the worst thing is I have bruised my left hand! :rolleyes:

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1354005381' post='1880596']
only to stumble and do a backwards roll into my other shed!
[/quote]

Arthur!? Are you really Arthur Jackson? BC is honoured, I'm sure. :lol:

Get well soon!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1354005381' post='1880596']
Thanks mate, I dont intend to turn this into a boring back ache thread. But in my years of "falling over" incidents I have had two in the last 12 months that were bad. The last one was finding a wasp nest in my shed and backing out quickly only to stumble and do a backwards roll into my other shed! I was seeing stars after that one. But, this was so fast. I put my fut down and felt it go, next thing I was on my back. didnt even have time to break my fall by landing on my backside. I went straight down on my back flat on the floor. My decking and concrete step helped me break my fall!. Im back to doctors tommorow. I had an awful night and this morning I cant bend or stoop! But, the worst thing is I have bruised my left hand! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

wow, there's a part in there that sounds a bit like something from a carry on movie. But all the same, get better soon, just take it easy :)

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday, band practice and a mixed day really.

Firstly, our lead guitarist who has has an absence due to cancer was back :D :D :D

I'd really missed him!

However, our dep lead guitarist is staying to share the playing and also do some lead and backing vocals.

This means we now have THREE guitarists.... Needless to say my amp was louder than usual last night :lol:

One song we play starts with me and two guitars. I count us in (being rhythm too ;) ) and off we go. Although the rhythm guitarist kept speeding up. I do have to say I lost the plot last night, asked him if he had a train to catch and told him to lock into MY beat or there would be trouble!!

The singer was also having an "off day" as well, we several duff notes and a whole section of the song that WAS NOT sung with the correct notes (I will say being kind :P )

That said, as an overall 3 hour practice, we were sounding pretty good :D

I just hope the Christmas break doesn't set us back.

Bloomin' marvellous.
(Which is handy, cause as everything else it sucks at the mo!)
But as a bassist. Great!
Just joined a funky covers band, had my first rehearsal last night where we tried some new material, we got 'soul with a capital S' (tower of power) and 'love rears its ugly head' (living colour) down really well, and Soul with a capital S is just such a fun line to play.
Happy.

'ish.

Yesterday had a r/h with the proggy lot for no real reason other than to keep our hand in, no gigs on the immediate horizon. Usual late runnig from work for a couple, but once we got going properly I got some of the enthusiasm for playing, sadly lacking in recent days, back.

Took the Squier P & the Wal through a Microbass II into the studios Peavy rig. Sounded pretty good generally. Used the Wal most of the night and had forgotten how heavy it got. The replaced shoulder is aching today. The weight was probably the reason it had to be replaced in the first place. Still not about to sell it anytime soon though

Edited by WalMan

Dunno.
GAS for bass guitars is suddenly not present these last days.

Had written several basses on Xmas wishlist ( "contribution towards" <bass> ), and then suddenly didn't want any more of them.
Just felt grateful and happy with what I have (and I understand I have every reason to that).
Deleted them.

That was three days ago, and the feeling is still the same.
Must be depression, doncha think? ;)
Seriously though, I'm happier these days, so I think there may be a link there.

I could live like this!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Been learning the Bruno Mars bassline... You know the one that sounds like the police.

Also been working on some more classical sounding bass, using Christmas Carols and playing up the dusty end of the fretboards using chords and harmonies.

So it's been good, although with stuff I'm needing to practice and learn for the band too my fingers are getting rather blistered at the moment!! No pain, no gain hey ;)