Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

Rehearsal last night without Vox. Rhythm sang some of the songs and I thought I'd have a go on backing vocals. To my surprise, Rhythm looked over at Lead (who can sing) and then looked surprised when he realised it was my voice he was hearing.

Maybe I'll have a go at backing vocals next time we have a full line up.

I've been working away in London, so one night, sat on my own in a pub, I jotted down some lyrics based on my recent experiences in the 'smoke'. Sat down at home last night and worked a nice riff over them. Never tried the lyrics first, music second approach. Am pleased with the results so far.

Had a lesson today. Brill as usual.
I have my lessons at a local music college where u can get private lessons. So today they told me they are doing an end of term Xmas concert and do I want to be in it? Yay !
They are putting together a 'grown ups' band of private students. Don't know what we'll be pkaying yet - they are going to txt me a list of songs.
I think this is a great idea. I am really looking forward to working with the other students. :-)

A blissful few days here.

Played more than ever - which was a necessity, coz it feels like I now am back to square one. Must ratify the Daily Study Law of 2012 soonest.

Took reception of a whopping two basses (Bongo and CV Jazz) and two amps (Little Bastard + LB 112, and HB 110W combo)

Got a very good price for the MAG 300 combo I sold.

Now trying to sell the car for this. Walking is healthy.

best,
bert

for me it has been completely fulfilling.
1st, I finished my contribution to the november 2012 composing competition, only have to mix and master it properly on sunday (tomorrow - today? :unsure: .
then later his evening I had the 1st gig with my jazz trio (drums, keys, bass) to perform some songs of our 1st album.
it was a complete blast.
one of the most promising female singers in hamburg entered the stage just to join us during our set and this song was a real blast. we improvised over our themes to make her feel comfortable and it just rocked, if I'm allowed to use this expression in jazz context.
well, it helped that our 1st performance was on the birthdayparty of the label-owner and producer of our 1st album so we could really make some cool contacts, but it was rally cool since we agreed to do a collaboration with the great singer within the next 2 months.

so, it was a fantastic day! :D

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1352599122' post='1865124']
for me it has been completely fulfilling.
1st, I finished my contribution to the november 2012 composing competition, only have to mix and master it properly on sunday (tomorrow - today? :unsure: .
then later his evening I had the 1st gig with my jazz trio (drums, keys, bass) to perform some songs of our 1st album.
it was a complete blast.
one of the most promising female singers in hamburg entered the stage just to join us during our set and this song was a real blast. we improvised over our themes to make her feel comfortable and it just rocked, if I'm allowed to use this expression in jazz context.
well, it helped that our 1st performance was on the birthdayparty of the label-owner and producer of our 1st album so we could really make some cool contacts, but it was rally cool since we agreed to do a collaboration with the great singer within the next 2 months.

so, it was a fantastic day! :D
[/quote]

I just had a look at your web page and bands.
Looks like a lot of fun you are having out in Hamburg!

I've been to Espelcamp and Minden a few times (about 200 km south of you) for work but the music scene was non existant :(

I like your competition entry it really works with the pictures.

'[i]dimidium facti qui coepit habet: sapere aude, incipe[/i]' :)

Edited by Blademan_98

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1352626432' post='1865199']
I just had a look at your web page and bands.
Looks like a lot of fun you are having out in Hamburg!

I've been to Espelcamp and Minden a few times (about 200 km south of you) for work but the music scene was non existant :(

I like your competition entry it really works with the pictures.

[b]'[i]dimidium facti qui coepit habet: sapere aude, incipe[/i]'[/b] :)
[/quote]

thanks a lot and you got me, eh? B)

well, hamburg is one of the main music cities in germany, so I'm probably just a bit lucky.

cheers mate.

It's been bloody awesome :D

I have adjusted my first ever truss rod on my new 5 string.... And have mastered Another Brick in the Wall, playing it on my 5 string so I can get the low D without drop tuning :D

I am a very happy camper.

Also hubby has agreed that all 3 of my basses (well technically I have 4) can be out on stands in the living room, which makes it quicker to grab my trusty Ibanez 4 string, my fretless or my new Ibanez 5 string depending on what I want to play :D

Another day when I haven't picked up a bass. I spent most of the weekend promoting out next gig and adapting some full band songs to be performed with my guitarist as an acoustic duo. Its been interesting to take songs we know well and play them in a totally different way.

No bass though :(

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1352881392' post='1868657']
Really good. Another awesome lesson and a load more stuff to work on! B) B)
[/quote]

it's brilliant how a lesson lifts you and gives you more impetus to go on, isn't it?

The other day our guitarist experessed suprise that I was still going fo lessons after more than 18 months. He said 'I would have thought you'd need to go out and do stuff on your own now'. To which I replied 'Well I am, I'm in this band aren't I? But that doesn't mean that there isn't more to learn'.
He just didn't get it though.

The fact is the more I more I learn, the more I realise I don't know! I intend to keep going for lessons for as long as I can still lift a bass. Or until my teacher takes out a restraining order - whichever is the soonest :lol:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1352887364' post='1868743']
it's brilliant how a lesson lifts you and gives you more impetus to go on, isn't it?

The other day our guitarist experessed suprise that I was still going fo lessons after more than 18 months. He said 'I would have thought you'd need to go out and do stuff on your own now'. To which I replied 'Well I am, I'm in this band aren't I? But that doesn't mean that there isn't more to learn'.
He just didn't get it though.

The fact is the more I more I learn, the more I realise I don't know! I intend to keep going for lessons for as long as I can still lift a bass. Or until my teacher takes out a restraining order - whichever is the soonest :lol:
[/quote]
My mate is a drummer who has been playing for well over 20 years, has been in bands with most of the better musicians around here and is generally well respected yet he still has a lesson every week (when he isn’t gigging). I’ve played in several bands with him, always with very experienced (i.e. knocking on a bit) players, and no one ever sees fit to comment on him still taking lessons!

I could be wrong, but it occurs to me (from this and other posts) that your guitarist maybe has a bit of a problem playing in a band with a girl!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1352888961' post='1868775']
I could be wrong, but it occurs to me (from this and other posts) that your guitarist maybe has a bit of a problem playing in a band with a girl!
[/quote]

Hmm .. I hadn't thought of this. I think I'm so used to rehearsing drama and comedy with people of both sexes it didn't really occur to me that the dynamic in the band is somewhat different.

I don't think [b]he [/b]thinks he has a problem with it, but maybe there's something subconscious going on? And/or maybe I'm being a bit too tentative ... you know acting too much like a beginner?. He's always telling me to turn the bass [b]up [/b]for example (opposite problem from what a lot of you get, lol). I might be acting like I'm scared to be heard (again subconsciouly).

There's also a bit of tension between him and Vox, but I think that's down to the fact that 1) Guitar can be a bit slow on the uptake and 2) Vox can be a cantankerous bugger at times.

Drums just watches it all unfold and smiles to himself!! He's probably got the right idea :lol:

[size=2]Edited to remove erroneous smiley[/size]

Edited by seashell

Yesterday was a mixed day for me. Great rehearsal and finally got a date for recording in the diary. A friend of the drummer is coming along to our rehearsal space to do some rough and ready recordings. Hopefully end up with something decent we can give away to promoters and maybe sell really cheap at gigs.

Downer was that at the end of rehearsal out guitarist's amp died a bit of a death. It isn't the first time and he just doesn't have the funds to fix it. I've offered to lend him the money or just pay for it to be fixed properly but he's not going for it. Not sure what we're going to do, we've got a gig on Friday. hmmm

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1352905459' post='1869190']
Hmm .. I hadn't thought of this. I think I'm so used to rehearsing drama and comedy with people of both sexes it didn't really occur to me that the dynamic in the band is somewhat different.

I don't think [b]he [/b]thinks he has a problem with it, but maybe there's something subconscious going on? And/or maybe I'm being a bit too tentative ... you know acting too much like a beginner?. He's always telling me to turn the bass [b]up [/b]for example (opposite problem from what a lot of you get, lol). I might be acting like I'm scared to be heard (again subconsciouly).

There's also a bit of tension between him and Vox, but I think that's down to the fact that 1) Guitar can be a bit slow on the uptake and 2) Vox can be a cantankerous bugger at times.

Drums just watches it all unfold and smiles to himself!! He's probably got the right idea :lol:

[size=2]Edited to remove erroneous smiley[/size]
[/quote]
Oh, so it's possible that he doesn't have a problem with you being a girlie, but he's afraid that singer might have a go at him so he gets on your case so he doesn't look like the weakest link??

Quite a common occurance in some bands! If I may offer a tip, never be defensive in a band situation - don't give someone who may be a bit defensive themselves the opportunity to not give you the respect you deserve.....

Edited by peteb