Why become a member? ×

Bassists, Unsung Heroes?

Themrperson

I know this can be a bit of a touchy subject and has been dealt with before but with something I have experienced recently made me think of this. Me and my mate were talking about music and when I mentioned bass someone said that they could play it with no experience what so ever! Luckily my mate who plays guitar in our band showed his Hysteria by Muse and I think I won.

But I believe the bass is the most under-appreciated part of the band as its most people wanna play guitar, sing and play the drums but not the bass. However we could be considered one of the most important parts of the band and its not as simple to play as it seems on face value.

I know I my be ranting I actually don't mind being a unsung hero as I know then that is all that matters to me at the end of the day but it when people start hating on it I don't like with people saying "You play bass because you couldn't play guitar" or "Anyone can play the bass" They have no knowledge on the area so how would they know.

So what are you thoughts on it all guys. Do you being an unsung hero? What do you think of the haters out there? Let me know.

I dont play bass to be a hero (unsung or otherwise), but because I love both the instrument itself and actually playing with others. As for people who think that bass is easy....when I hear that, I usually smile to myself and let them continue to wallow in their ignorance, as [b]I [/b]( and we on this forum) know different. ;)

It really is amazing how many people simply don`t regard the bass as being a vital part of the band. At a gig I played, I was chatting to a mate, and her friend asked if I was in the band. When I said yes, she asked what I played, I told her I played the bass, and her reply was "Oh that`s not as important as the others, is it?"

I could have tried to advise her of how important the bass is, but it`s difficult enough with other musicians who don`t play bass, so where was the point?

I just feel content in the knowledge she obviously thought I was in the band for my looks.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1348173542' post='1810523']
Sometimes I drop out in the middle of songs, just to see how long it takes for the other members of the band to figure out why they sound sh*t all of a sudden.
[/quote]
Lol this all day ;)

Sometimes I drop out in the middle of songs, just to see how long it takes for the other members of the band to figure out why they sound sh*t all of a sudden.
[/quote]

Always fun to do. Also great fun watching the guitarists then run to their amps and twiddle frantically, thinking as the sound is now rubbish, it simply has to be the guitar has gone wrong, cos what other instruments are there?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348173285' post='1810516']
I told her I played the bass, and her reply was "Oh that`s not as important as the others, is it?"[/quote]

Which is - of course - entirely true. At least, in the minds most audiences and about 50% of other musicians.

Arguing the point is a fruitless endeavour, IMO. We should simply agree with the contention and accept that we are the least visible, least appreciated and most replaceable band member. If we try to 'solo', everybody laughs or goes to the bar. The opposite sex shuns us as they would a rabid cur. Our nit-picking geekdom knows no bounds and our reputation for lukewarm passive-aggression precedes us.

Face it, we suck.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348173285' post='1810516']
It really is amazing how many people simply don`t regard the bass as being a vital part of the band. At a gig I played, I was chatting to a mate, and her friend asked if I was in the band. When I said yes, she asked what I played, I told her I played the bass, and her reply was "Oh that`s not as important as the others, is it?"

I could have tried to advise her of how important the bass is, but it`s difficult enough with other musicians who don`t play bass, so where was the point?

I just feel content in the knowledge she obviously thought I was in the band for my looks.
[/quote]
I was at a party chatting to some woman. I happened to mention that I was a bassist. She said 'Oh, you don't look tall enough to be a bassist'.

(I'm 5' 10", not that it's of any relevance.)

Let's be honest about this-the reason people think that bass is easy is because in many popular music
situations,it is. Take a listen at any number of bands over the years and you'll hear the bass player either
slavishly doubling the guitar riff (with less prominence) or playing root notes in constant quavers-it's really
simple to play. Of course there are genres and bands where the bass is more prominent,but most of these
aren't particularly mainstream. Then there is the fact that you get many acoustic guitar players who strum
chords and sing along....something that you never see with a bass,even though it is doable if you
choose to.
I don't think that the bass player should be the 'unsung hero'...they should be just as equal as the rest of
the musicians,but there have been/are many bass players and bands who constantly back up the thought
that it is an easy instrument.

With regards to people going to the bar during the bass solo,I believe that it's because many players don't
have the melodic or harmonic sensibilities of other soloists,like horn players,so it ends up being a poor
collection of disjointed licks.

[quote name='Themrperson' timestamp='1348171557' post='1810478']
So what are you thoughts on it all guys. Do you being an unsung hero? What do you think of the haters out there? Let me know.
[/quote]

All that thrusting on monitor wedges is very unbass. Ignore all the naysayers and enjoy being the glue that holds it all together.

I took up bass because I thought that it would be easier than playing guitar, and it wasn't until I decided to practise my guitar playing more, that I realised that actually, playing bass is more difficult than playing guitar, well it was for me anyway, as I quickly became quite a competent guitarist, but I would never give up playing bass, I absolutely love it, and my wife thinks the bass is really SEXY!!! :gas:

I remember the lead guitarist in my old band, who is very talented by the way, played bass at rehearsal on a night I had to cry off due to illness.
The following week, he and the rest of the band, all said that they now appreciate just what I do, the guitarist said that he would never be able to play bass in a million years, because you have to feel the music, take notice of what the drummer is doing, and the other guitarist didn't bother listening to anything at all.

To be fair I didn't play bass to be a hero I did it because I liked the instrument and I still do, its just people just tend to ignore it as you can barely hear it over the guitar as I told my brother to listen to a a bass in a song and he couldn't hear it but it all I look out for in a song really. I should have added their are notable exceptions like Flea form Red Hot Chili Peppers for example.

[quote name='Themrperson' timestamp='1348179391' post='1810644']
To be fair I didn't play bass to be a hero I did it because I liked the instrument and I still do, [/quote]

:) It's OK, we know that. It probably applies to most of us here.

And don't take remotely seriously what I said earlier on. I'm just being an evil bastard.

I started playing bass after having been average guitarist for a few years. When my mates band needed someone to play bass I had a go and found I had a far greater feel for the instrument and that spectrum of the musical register than I ever had for the guitar. I'm now a much better bass player than I ever was a guitarist. I never noticed at the time but now I realise, when I was a kid and listening to music it was the bass I was really feeling and listening to, but without consciously listening for it. I think most people are the same. The bass seems unimportant to them because, apart from some notable exceptions, as far as 'mainstream' music goes singers, guitards, horns etc are all so much more up front in mixes while the bass continues to do it's thing in a far more subtle way. People hear it unconsciously and so have no idea how their perception of the music is affected by what the bass is doing. I like being the unsung hero so to speak. If I wanted fame and attention I'd be a singer or guitarist. The drummer in my band is my favourite of them all so I'd rather hang out in the background with him.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1348173068' post='1810512']
I dont play bass to be a hero (unsung or otherwise), but because I love both the instrument itself and actually playing with others. As for people who think that bass is easy....when I hear that, I usually smile to myself and let them continue to wallow in their ignorance, as [b]I [/b]( and we on this forum) know different. ;)
[/quote]

People who say that are just showing you how little they actually know about music.

[/quote]

Whenever I've tried that the band all turn and look at me to see why I've stopped playing. Maybe I'm more appreciated than some :-)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1348177713' post='1810615']
All that thrusting on monitor wedges is very unbass. Ignore all the naysayers and enjoy being the glue that holds it all together.
[/quote]

That's what it is, the glue. If you break a plate and glue it back together you want to glue it in such a way as to minimise the appearance of the glue. If you can't see the join it's ideal. It's the same with bass, pulling together the rhythm and melody unnoticed by all but those who know where to look.

I can't remember what it was that drew me to bass. I just decided I want to play it out of the blue. My brother saw how much fun I was having and decided to follow afterwards, picking up a guitar and admittedly being better at his instrument than I was at mine. But we both found masses of enjoyment in playing music.

Is the bassist the unsung hero? Undoubtedly. But I think this makes it a captivating part to play. So much power in such a discreet fashion...

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1348178435' post='1810627']
I took up bass because I thought that it would be easier than playing guitar, and it wasn't until I decided to practise my guitar playing more, that I realised that actually, playing bass is more difficult than playing guitar, well it was for me anyway, as I quickly became quite a competent guitarist, but I would never give up playing bass, I absolutely love it, and my wife thinks the bass is really SEXY!!! :gas:

I remember the lead guitarist in my old band, who is very talented by the way, played bass at rehearsal on a night I had to cry off due to illness.
The following week, he and the rest of the band, all said that they now appreciate just what I do, the guitarist said that he would never be able to play bass in a million years, because you have to feel the music, take notice of what the drummer is doing, and the other guitarist didn't bother listening to anything at all.
[/quote]

Yep, a few months ago I damaged my arm/wrist, so at one gig our singer (who plays guitar) played bass. He said afterwards how difficult it was, and that he still viewed it as an instrument that went boom in the background, but now realised that keeping that boom where it`s meant to be is a lot more difficult than it seems. He also said that I make it look so easy, which is I suppose a compliment.