Why become a member? ×

Tribute Acts Degrading? A Tribute

skankdelvar

A tribute thread to the 'Tribute Bands - are they degrading?' thread.

One might imagine that the Wonderful World Of Music is neatly divided into Tribute, Covers and Originals acts. The reality is somewhat different, so here's my handy cut-out and keep guide to the 'Spectrum Of Shame' calculated in accordance with the Bilbo Scale of Musical Usefulness[sup][size=2]TM[/size][/sup].

* Impersonator (Elvis's only, maybe Sinatra at a pinch)

* Full tribute - one band / artist - wigs etc

* Musical Tribute - one band / artist - no wigs

* General Covers - all periods

* Genre Covers - e.g. punk - famous songs only

* Genre Inspired - e.g. blues covers, but including obscurities and / or some originals

* Semi-original - mostly originals but some general covers

* Genre Band Originals - originals that sound exactly like another, more successful band

* Genre Originals - originals which sound like everything else in that genre.

* Entirely Original - no-one knows what this sounds like because the band can't get a gig or a deal.

[b]So where do [i]you[/i] fit?[/b]

[color=#ffffff][b].[/b][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

I'm quite firmly in 'Genre Inspired - e.g. blues covers, but including obscurities and / or some originals' these days.....

Me and a couple of mates are putting together a band to gig around town, which will be either 'General Covers' or a musical tribute to a sub-genre rather than one artist (depending on who we choose as a singer / what we think will get us the best gigs)

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1346865534' post='1794240']
How about originals in wigs?
[/quote]

What, like Dokken (or any number of old rockers with suspiciously black & voluminous hair)?
When Dokken brought out their "Hell to Pay" album in 2004 it quickly got rechristened "Hell Toupée" :D

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1346862557' post='1794183']
A tribute thread to the 'Tribute Bands - are they degrading?' thread.

One might imagine that the Wonderful World Of Music is neatly divided into Tribute, Covers and Originals acts. The reality is somewhat different, so here's my handy cut-out and keep guide to the 'Spectrum Of Shame' calculated in accordance with the [b]Bilbo Scale of Musical Usefulness[sup][size=2]TM[/size][/sup][/b].
[/quote]

Genius. :lol:
[color=#ffffff][b].[/b][/color]

Oh, and another one in the Genre Inspired category.

Edited by Musky

* Impersonator (Elvis's only, maybe Sinatra at a pinch) [b]Not yet[/b]

* Full tribute - one band / artist - wigs etc [b]Not yet[/b]

* Musical Tribute - one band / artist - no wigs [b]Not yet[/b]

* General Covers - all periods [b]Regularly but mainly in a dep situation (and have a first practice with a full time band tomorrow)[/b]

* Genre Covers - e.g. punk - famous songs only [b]Did it for 5 years with a band called Vinyl Sleeves in Stafford (indie genre)[/b]

* Genre Inspired - e.g. blues covers, but including obscurities and / or some originals [b]Did it at the same period of time as the above (blues/rock)[/b]

* Semi-original - mostly originals but some general covers [b]The band below usually turns into a jam night as we run out of songs![/b]

* Genre Band Originals - originals that sound exactly like another, more successful band [b]I have been resident bass player for 2 years here[/b]
[url="http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/moonshine-and-spiders/id418470438"]http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/moonshine-and-spiders/id418470438[/url] [b]currently working on the difficult second album[/b]

* Genre Originals - originals which sound like everything else in that genre. [b]When I was young and pretty we had an originals band called Switch.[/b]

* Entirely Original - no-one knows what this sounds like because the band can't get a gig or a deal.[b] Only after a few shandys[/b]

[/quote]

* Impersonator (Elvis's only, maybe Sinatra at a pinch)

[/quote]

My first (only?) Elvis impersonator gig is in nine days' time ... ulp!

Incidentally, shouldn't there be a genre/category for bands who wear hats?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1346918642' post='1794726']
My first (only?) Elvis impersonator gig is in nine days' time ... ulp!

Incidentally, [b]shouldn't there be a genre/category for bands who wear hats?[/b]
[/quote]Er...NO! Are you taking the p**s? [url="http://www.musikear.com/imageficha/the-rubettes/the-rubettes-greatest-hits.jpg"]http://www.musikear....eatest-hits.jpg[/url] Devilishly handsome young man, bottom left, though.

Edited by SteveK