Why become a member? ×

First gig you went to - who was in the band?

paulconnolly

[quote name='Paulgm1' timestamp='1346360142' post='1788426']
Gillan - Southampton Gaumont with John McCoy on bass. All I remember is it being bloody loud!
[/quote]Ditto at the Bognor Regis Centre

Legend has it that their soudcheck started & less than a minute later the council switchboard lit up :lol:

First gig for me was Family at the de Montefort Hall leicester.....even though I was living in Nottingham....My friends elder sisters' boyfriend took us ...I have no idea why (well maybe it was something to do with us miming to Black Sabbath records every night whilst supposedly playing bass and drums,and perhaps he wanted to broaden our musical horizon)........Linda lewis supported ....I think John wetton was on bass but not sure ....it was 1972/3 ish their farewell tour I believe.

1979-Thin Lizzy at Sheffield City Hall absolutley amazing. Interesting to see Janick Gers and White Spirit referenced earlier, I saw them a few times in the late 70's when they used to play a Working Mens Club in Doncaster called The Yarborough. Another good band called Limelight used to play there as well I thought they might have made it but seemed to disapear. I think they were from Hull.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1346356910' post='1788363']
None other than Eric Clapton in 1988 as a spotty 13 year old.
[/quote]

I think Eric would have been a spotty 13 year old in 1950-something.

Not sure I can remember my first gig but we saw several bands in the town hall during the early 70s. In particular Camel (original line up on the Snow Goose tour) was most memorable, but also Stackridge.

When I was in the 4th year at school some lads in the 6th form organised to get Jonathan Kelly (with Gasworks as support) to play in the main hall at the school. I think that must have been the first time I went to anything that wasn't a classical concert.

Edited by musophilr

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1346373594' post='1788587']
Wishbone Ash, Fairfield Halls Croydon. 1975 or thereabouts.
With my schoolmate Barry Butler. His brother picked us up afterwards.
Happy days.
[/quote]

I used to play in a Wishbone Ash tribute band! My first gig was Automatic Fine Tuning at the Ritz Cinema Long Eaton, Nottingham late 1976, followed by Rush + Stray, Birmingham Odeon June 1977. AFT still my fave gig! :)

The first band I ever saw live was Odyssey in 1983. I was 12 & it was in a nightclub in Stirling. they wouldn't let me in to start with as I was wearing trainers (which cost me £50 back then!), so I ran home, put on an old pair of black shoes that had red & blue paint on them & they let me in!
Went backstage after the gig & blethered about music.

The first gig I ever went to was Skin, at the Ipswich Corn Exchange in the early 90's.
They were pretty good but they were supported by a band called Baby Stafford (or something like that) who were brilliant.
I've not really heard of either of them since but my mate did see Skin in KFC afterwards and their guitarist (whatever his name is) told him to check out Paul Gilbert and as a result I discovered Billy Sheehan!
Happy days!

My first proper show was Iron Maiden on the No Prayer on the Road in 1990, at the Oxford Apollo. Supported by Wolfsbane... I did see Thunder, Ugly Kid Joe and Skin at the Roadmender in Northampton around the same sort of time as well so which one was actually the first, I can't say :)