Why become a member? ×

Sacking your students?

shizznit

Here's a question for those who teach...

...do you think it's right to sack your students if you feel that they are wasting your time?

I have been teaching this one lad for about 4 months now and has really ticked me off today. It is now 2pm whereby he was booked in for an hour with me. At 1.40pm he texts me to cancel. Not the first time he has cancelled with such poor notice. He has cancelled every rescheduled lesson over the past three weeks. Last week really cheesed me off as I managed to squeeze in a lesson an hour before left the house to head to the Brecon Jazz Festival for a performance with little time to spare to get dressed and packed before hand and he cancelled that lesson. I was thankful I had the extra time to get ready, but I busted my balls to fit him in for a lesson that day.

He's not interested learning any theory and simply just wants me to show him how to play songs in his band. Though that narks me off too, I don't mind coaching instead of teaching as I have had a few students in the past that have done that and have gone on to be regular performers on the local circuit. Though I have only been teaching him for a few months he has actually been playing for about three years. He learning rate is very slow and is quite an arrogant little swine. In a nut shell, I don't like teaching him and I am losing potential earnings.

I want to can him as soon as I calm down and call him to say I won't be teaching him again. I don't want to start a reputation of being iron fisted by being selective about whom I teach, but do you think I am doing the right thing?

I don't se any reason why you shouldn't teach him again, but it shouldn't be because he just wants to learn songs for his band or he's a slow learner. We are all different and I'm sure that won't be the basis on which you cancel him.

Do you not have a cancellation fee, in that he pays for the lesson if cancelled within 48 hours of the lesson starting? Studios do this, in fact so do driving instructors so theres no reason you shouldn't. I'd explain to him that if he doesn't want lessons any more then fair enough, but he has to tell you. If he does then he needs to stop pissing about.

Dan

I have a policy of charging students the full amount if they cancel within 24hrs of a lesson. That usually ensures I'm not left waiting for someone who has no intention of turning up...!

My view is that if someone wants to pay me to show them how to tie their shoelaces, then thats what I'll do :0)

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1345728162' post='1780939']
........In a nut shell, I don't like teaching him and I am losing potential earnings......
[/quote]

Ultimately if it's really annoying you then you should do what makes your life better.

I'd ask him to stop messing me about and stop cancelling lessons at short notice, I'd be less accommodating about rescheduling lessons and see if he sticks with it. If he doesn't, no great loss. If he decides to "learn" somewhere else then it shouldn't affect you reputation.

Edited by Fat Rich

a guitar-teaching friend of mine has his students pay for 4 lessons at a time and has a contract with each of them explaining under what terms they can cancel the lesson, something like with 24/48 hours. He allows them to move a lesson if given enough notice but if they just don't turn up then they lose the lesson and he still gets paid.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1345728444' post='1780952']
I don't se any reason why you shouldn't teach him again, but it shouldn't be because he just wants to learn songs for his band or he's a slow learner. We are all different and I'm sure that won't be the basis on which you cancel him.

Do you not have a cancellation fee, in that he pays for the lesson if cancelled within 48 hours of the lesson starting? Studios do this, in fact so do driving instructors so theres no reason you shouldn't. I'd explain to him that if he doesn't want lessons any more then fair enough, but he has to tell you. If he does then he needs to stop pissing about.

Dan
[/quote]

Most of the students that have come and gone have been great to teach despite of their learning aptitude or what the student wants to personally achieve from their lessons, so please don't think I am being elitist. I only remarked on his attitude because I was venting!

It's hard enough to aquire students as it is and I don't want to drop him as I lose money, but I feel that I am currently losing out from the cancelations anyway.

Difficult one as he can quite easily slag you of on social media etc, needs careful handling.
Not that I would ever be able to teach, but I'd do the cowardly sneaky thing "sorry young fella, haven't got any vacant slots at the moment, ring me back in 2020, er, sorry, next week".

...do you think it's right to sack your students if you feel that they are wasting your time?
[/quote]

Think of it as quitting a part time job, can you fill the void with another pupil?

It is now 2pm whereby he was booked in for an hour with me. At 1.40pm he texts me to cancel. Not the first time he has cancelled with such poor notice. He has cancelled every rescheduled lesson over the past three weeks. Last week really cheesed me off as I managed to squeeze in a lesson an hour before left the house to head to the Brecon Jazz Festival for a performance with little time to spare to get dressed and packed before hand and he cancelled that lesson. I was thankful I had the extra time to get ready, but I busted my balls to fit him in for a lesson that day.
[/quote]

Introduce cancellation fees as mentioned.

He's not interested learning any theory and simply just wants me to show him how to play songs in his band.
[/quote]

You work for him, not the other way around. When I have lessons (rare), I ask either for the theory to only be touched on if it's applied as I already have a basic (grade 5) understanding of theory.

He learning rate is very slow
[/quote]

That's upto him, the slower he learns the more lessons he needs, I expect he's not doing his "homework" but it's not your loss, far from it.

and is quite an arrogant little swine. In a nut shell, I don't like teaching him and I am losing potential earnings.
[/quote]

Again can you fill the slot? If you can then fair enough but maybe you should give him a "warning" first.

I want to can him as soon as I calm down and call him to say I won't be teaching him again. I don't want to start a reputation of being iron fisted by being selective about whom I teach, but do you think I am doing the right thing?
[/quote]

Again can you fill the slot? If you can then fair enough but maybe you should give him a "warning" first. That way you don't come across as iron-fisted.

Cheers Charic. All things already considered. Its just bloody annoying. I may have to go away and rethink how I manage bookings and cancellations. I like the idea of introducing block bookings with payments upfront...just like driving instructors do. I have been teaching for about 6yrs and no-one has narked me off as much as this until now. I guess I have had the luck of the draw! I am a stickler for punctuality and reliability and this lad has rubbed me up the wrong way over the past few weeks. I'll call him before I go out tonight and try to get back on level terms.

Sorry for the rant. I'm much calmer now. Thanks for all your comments guys. ;)

Edited by shizznit

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1345729299' post='1780975']
Most of the students that have come and gone have been great to teach despite of their learning aptitude or what the student wants to personally achieve from their lessons, so please don't think I am being elitist. I only remarked on his attitude because I was venting!

It's hard enough to aquire students as it is and I don't want to drop him as I lose money, but I feel that I am currently losing out from the cancelations anyway.
[/quote]

Haha! No worries, no one thinks you're elitist!

I know what you mean about students, I'm just starting on teaching and potentially have one student so I can only imagine what it'll be like in 6 years time!

Hope you get sorted!

Dan

As has been suggested, you need to hit people in the pocket. Definitely have a cancellation fee.

I would politely tell him you don't want to teach him unless he can demonstrate some commitment, maybe he has some family trouble going on or something that's causing this unreliability. But nevertheless it's not fair on you.

One such cancellation would be understandable, though admittedly bad form and very annoying, but cancelling 'every rescheduled lesson over the past three weeks' is totally unreasonable.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he may not have thought about the financial implications for you, so I would talk about his unfair behaviour and explain that [u]because of his behaviour[/u] over the past few weeks you have no option but to ask him to pay in advance for any future bookings.

Hopefully that will make him realise the change is a direct consequence of [u]his[/u] actions and not just you being awkward.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1345728436' post='1780951']
I used to have to pay a cancellation fee
[/quote]

I make it very clear to my students from the onset that they agree to my T&Cs including fees for missed lessons. As for lesson content, i think that different people come for lessons for different reasons. Some do not want to learn theory and just have ambitions to play in a pub band one day. Others want qualifications and letters after their name. As a teacher it is important to make sure that you both know what you are offering in your lessons and what they should expect. But also what they want from lessons too, then there is no question should things go awry.

Draw up a 'teaching agreement' a kind of written lesson structure whereby you make an agreement over what you will do for the student and what you expect back. Have you both sign this 'charter'. No, it's not legally binding, lol, but it does have an effect on students. So far I've not needed one, but my students have a written diary every visit so they know and are reminded what they should have done for homework, but at the same time know what's coming next. I.e a definite plan to keep them interested and have an opportunity to contribute.

I don't want to start a reputation of being iron fisted by being selective about whom I teach
[/quote]

Why not? Surely the fact that you can choose your students is great for your reputation, proves you're not desperate; are a bit special.

Personally I would just introduce a cancellation fee. Draw up a "contract" (doesn't have to be a legal one!) that outlines what you expect from students (ie how much they need to pay you and what the cancellation fee is) and what they can expect from you (ie what they get in return for their cash). My wife was a driving instructor and I think her cancellation fee was 50% of the lesson fee for less than 48hours notice and 100% of the lesson fee for less than 24hours notice.

If you introduce a cancellation fee he'll either bugger off of his own accord or will stop messing you about. Either is a win.

Make all students pay a lesson in advance (double fee for first lesson) which is non refundable if they cancel without 24 hours notice. In addition, make it clear that you have lots of students wanting to take lessons and if they miss more than 3 lessons at short notice in a specified time period (mine is 2 months) that it would be considered unreasonable and you'll remove them from your list of students. Simple.

My guitarist works full time as a guitar teacher and you just have to protect yourself; he gets a lot of older clients with important jobs who won't take direction but such silliness comes with the job. Losing money and wasting slots is not acceptable though. I think a general rule to all students needs to be introduced tactfully where nobody is blamed. Whether you claim in advance or students are fined for cancellations you then simply stick to this rule. Then there is much less danger of the guy being a prat about it as he's had the rules explained to him. I do think a rule for all though so as he doesn't feel singled out - the rest won't mind as they (hopefully) show up anyway

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1345728545' post='1780954']
I have a policy of charging students the full amount if they cancel within 24hrs of a lesson. That usually ensures I'm not left waiting for someone who has no intention of turning up...!

My view is that if someone wants to pay me to show them how to tie their shoelaces, then thats what I'll do :0)
[/quote]

This. I operate the same policy.