Why become a member? ×

What is your favourite brand of strings? (Survey)

davidmpires

Out of interest what do you intend to do with the info?

IMO the brand is less important than the actual string itself. I would be interested to know if the votes for Thomastik were for anything other than TI Jazz Flats.

I use different strings from different makes on different basses, and each string is picked on it's own merits and suitability for the bass.

For instance La Bella Hard Rocking Steels are great with my Gus basses but they didn't suit the Yamaha BJ5B at all. Also just because I like round-wound steels from a manufacturer doesn't mean that I'll like their Nickels or flatwounds as well.

Have voted La Bella - 1953 Flats for my bitsa P and 54 P alike - BOOOOOOOM!
AEB1 - super long scale flats from Bruce Johnson which I think he gets from D'Addario.
MM Stingray has D'Addario Nickel RW Heavies but on the Mustang, Hofner and Bullet I use Status Black Nylons.

Edited by Jazzneck

Been playing with D'Addario Prosteels for a couple of days now... A bit of a rougher feel on the fingers compared to Elites, but nothing like Warwick Reds! Mega mega bright too, and I got a proper 'piano tone' on my .125 B string, even on a 34" bass. Mega impressed! The gig tomorrow will be the true test, and then I'll see how long they last me... Might end up being a convert!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1344505531' post='1765483']
Out of interest what do you intend to do with the info?

IMO the brand is less important than the actual string itself. I would be interested to know if the votes for Thomastik were for anything other than TI Jazz Flats.

I use different strings from different makes on different basses, and each string is picked on it's own merits and suitability for the bass.

For instance La Bella Hard Rocking Steels are great with my Gus basses but they didn't suit the Yamaha BJ5B at all. Also just because I like round-wound steels from a manufacturer doesn't mean that I'll like their Nickels or flatwounds as well.
[/quote]
This hits the nail on the head.

I use TI Jazz Flats but wouldn't use any other Thomastiks.

I use La Bella 760 flats but would never use hard rockin steels.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1344468643' post='1765220']
Back using roto swing bass after I got a free set on this very forum and realised you don't get that punch from any other strings.
[/quote]

They are really good. Even if the steel ones eat frets! (if you fret lightly and have stainless steel frets it should be fine).
The sound vicious when you run them fully open.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1344429250' post='1764284']
if they did double ball end steels in my prefered guage I'd probably have them on my headless too, but they don't so I'm sticking with Elites on that for now as I haven't found a better dbe string.
[/quote]

Have you tried the Status dbe strings? I've got those on the headless and I think I'll be continuing with them. I use Elites for just about everything with a head though.

Guitar - I use D'Addario 10s and because I like a nice low action I get Mark D Phillips to file my nuts.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1344378859' post='1763807']
Elixir for me.

They sound great and last the longest out of all the 'coated' strings i've used. Plus, everything else feels too rough to nowadays!
[/quote]

i usually buy rs66 swing bass sets but couple of weeks ago out of economic necessity i got a set of the roto's for half the price of the swingbass

rough as a badgers thingy!

think i'll wait and stump up the cost of the swing bass in future - buying online is fine but when you have a great music shop in town i prefer taking my custom there and supporting them so the choice is limited to ernie balls or rotosound lol :)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1344603205' post='1766970']
i usually buy rs66 swing bass sets but couple of weeks ago out of economic necessity i got a set of the roto's for half the price of the swingbass

rough as a badgers thingy!

think i'll wait and stump up the cost of the swing bass in future - buying online is fine but when you have a great music shop in town i prefer taking my custom there and supporting them so the choice is limited to ernie balls or rotosound lol :)
[/quote]

If you keep it local for some stuff - there's a better chance they'll be there should you need them. Not at 11.35pm when you need them but they might be faster than a courier.

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1344604908' post='1767008']
Love Rotos. Always used them and always will. Great tone for the money I think.
[/quote]

i thought the tone from the regular rotos was good if only marginally less bright and zingy than the swing bass but on my bass the tension of the rotos seemed noticeably more than the swingbass (35inch/trb) - maybe it was all down to the tension - they do seem 'less rough' now theyve been on a couple of weeks though :)

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1344708638' post='1768272']
Wondering if it's a coincedence that Fender strings have the same coloured ball end system as Daddario?
[/quote]

I'm sure D'Addario advertise the coloured ball end system as a unique thing :blink:

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1344718987' post='1768456']
Oh, man! Now you've done it.
I for one will miss you! :lol:

best,
bert
[/quote]

:lol:

Don't worry, it's only a good thing because I can get more headroom than ever out of my amp ;)

I voted for LaBella as I use Slappers & Deep Talkin' bass rounds on my Zons.

However, when I bought my Spector Euro 5LX a few months ago it was strung with Dean Markley Blue Steels & I love them so I'll be using those from now on - just as soon as I can find somewhere in this country that stocks them......

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1344725611' post='1768578']
Roto Swingbass all the way, 50% for the tone and 50% for that sexy red silk. However if Elixir ever bought out a set of their coated lovelies with red silk ends my loyalty would be severely tested...
[/quote]

...any prizes for guessing your favourite colour..? :lol: