Why become a member? ×

Anyone doing more than just playing bass?

basexperience

The new project (2 weeks now) is taking a little shape: I'm starting to think I'll be:
- playing some fairly complex lines (funk/reggae/ragamuffin/grime/DubStep/garage - the vocalist has some great ideas),
- singing the odd doubling vocal line (call-response style verses, end of chorus), and
- triggering samples from a foot pedal (I'm in the process of building the sampler rig - those 1010 floor pedals by Behringer are really well built btw).

Anyone else multi-tasking? I'm going to have to grow a third arm...

Looks like I might be taking on backing vocals & some keyboard duties as well as bass if the band I might be joining works out.
More concerned about the voice than anything - it's a long time since I've done any "proper" singing & I don't know if my voice has held up over the years.

At the moment I play bass, sing plenty of BVs, and take lead vocal on maybe two songs in each set.

I'd love to find a way to start adding a bit of keyboards but the ergonomics don't really work and we play very few venues where I'd have enough space to have a bass rig, a pedal board, a mic-stand AND a keyboard. :lol:

I also have a cheap theremin which I bought after seeing Big Red X playing the 12 Bar Club in Denmark Street ... I haven't introduced that to the rest of the band yet though. :ph34r:

I'm rather looking forward to having a go on WalMan's organ-pedal set-up at the BassBash next month.

I do lead guitar and keys in "my" band*. They did try me with backing vocals, once, but never again ;)

When i record at home I do everything: drum box programming, bass, keys, guitars, hand percussion, descant recorder and anything esle I can find. But not all at once ;)

* meaning the band I'm in. It isn't "my" band.

Tried backing vocals but found it very difficult to get back into it so gave it a miss.
Do set up a full lighting rig incl pars, scanners, projectors and lasers before each gig nd straight into playing the set. No time to get nerves which is a huge bonus.

Dave

Yep, doing all sorts of stuff here. Nothing live but i'm trying my hand at recordng, playing guitar, singing, bass, songwriting all in the comfort of my own home. I even make a few noises on a keybourd.

I have never played any of it live but I would love to get some feedback so please check out my soundcloud account. Honest feedback on what you think would be much appreciated-especially bass I'm still learning. I have been looking at vids on youtube.

[color=#000000] [/color][color=#0000CD][url="http://soundcloud.com/mole-music-1"][color="#0f72da"]http://soundcloud.com/mole-music-1[/color][/url][/color]

I'm enjoying bass the most though as deep down I think I have a "bassbrain". I blame Jack Bruce and Lemmy as I used to listen to a lot of Harwkwind and Cream when I was at school.

Edited by Pinball

I sing lots and play acoustic six string on a couple of quiet numbers. I'm kinda the main crowd banter guy as well which usually involves bad jokes, taking the mick out of the band and flirting with anything female.

A chap called Steve Hahn plays the Stick simultaneously with the trumpet, and does it well. The trumpet is in a rig of course, and he's invented a pedal system for controlling the valves.

Me, as a renowned multi-instrumentalist, I've been known to play a Moog with my left hand and an ARP with my right hand. No less!

Seriously though, I've not had double roles, with one exception where my feet played organ pedals, my right hand synth or el.piano, and my left hand the flute. Of course the flute parts were specially written for this to work, and my sister played the other flute parts with two hands.

best,
bert

Never too satisfied with just playing bass! Playing much more acoustic guitar nowadays, mainly for songwriting and such. Usually having a mess around in Ableton as well, I'm a big electronica fan without the time or patience to really properly apply myself at learning the skills necessary to create that kind of music!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1344126103' post='1760262']
Never too satisfied with just playing bass! Playing much more acoustic guitar nowadays, mainly for songwriting and such. Usually having a mess around in Ableton as well, I'm a big electronica fan without the time or patience to really properly apply myself at learning the skills necessary to create that kind of music!
[/quote]
+1 here, I didn't get the electronic scene for a long time but am totally there now!