Why become a member? ×

Faking It

AndyBob09

Do it. Bring your fretless if that makes you feel more comfortable, in case you find yourself in the position that it really doesn't work just swap to fretless in a burlesque-break if need be to get some rest for your wrist for a song or two.

If it is that sort of fun party then the girls and the whole shabang will make everything sound good ;) so don't worry and go for it.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1343682671' post='1753740']
Read this with nervous anticipation ... If it doesn't go well you good " faint" in a dramatic fashion mid song and get carted off stage. Just a suggestion.
[/quote]

.. or like Des O'Connor at the Glasgow Empire :lol:
True story.. apparently.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343739890' post='1754405']

Turns out you can't polish a turd.
[/quote]

But you can roll it in glitter!
To the OP , my thoughts are with ya, knock'em bandy! I'd never have the nutz or skillz to pull it off though.

Edited by Norm

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343668980' post='1753439']
Umm, not wanting to sound negative, but I tried a double bass a few months ago, and despite Clarky showing me the correct technique, it felt like playing a f***ing sperm whale.
[/quote]
The joke was on you Nige. It actually was a sperm whale

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1343725899' post='1754085']
Dude, you must have cojones of steel....
[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343750966' post='1754627']
I too was thinking pre-gig nerves might be a problem for him.
[/quote]

I guessing that our man here probably doesn't have too much of a problem with pre-gig nerves!

To the OP - good luck if you go ahead with the gig.....

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343668980' post='1753439']
Umm, not wanting to sound negative, but I tried a double bass a few months ago, and despite Clarky showing me the correct technique, it felt like playing a f***ing sperm whale.

Your upper body, wrists and hands may be f***ed after shedding for even a few hours, they will simply not be used to the techniques. Your muscles and tendons need conditioning over time. There's a risk that you will seize up a couple of days before the gig and be unable toplay, leaving the band in the sh*t.

My reaction is that the responsible thing to do is to let someone else do it, put the work in for a

future opportunity, and get a few lessons in the meantime so you get the correct techniques down.
[/quote]sperm whale... Ha ha fantastic

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1343752152' post='1754648']
I guessing that our man here probably doesn't have too much of a problem with pre-gig nerves!

To the OP - good luck if you go ahead with the gig.....
[/quote]

Pre gig nerves never really get me. I sometimes wish they did. I think it'd give me a much needed boost up the arse!

Day two in the woodshed: Half of the set is kind of cool. Half of my prep time has gone. I think that's kinda alright? Tomorrow I've got a rehearsal (not for this gig unfortunately - No rehearsal is being had for this one at all!) so will be against the clock then to get the db out when back in the house after the other rehearsal. I may take the db to the rehearsal just so I'm getting my hours up on the thing.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1343778090' post='1755252']
Pre gig nerves never really get me. I sometimes wish they did. I think it'd give me a much needed boost up the arse!

Day two in the woodshed: Half of the set is kind of cool. Half of my prep time has gone. I think that's kinda alright? Tomorrow I've got a rehearsal (not for this gig unfortunately - No rehearsal is being had for this one at all!) so will be against the clock then to get the db out when back in the house after the other rehearsal. I may take the db to the rehearsal just so I'm getting my hours up on the thing.
[/quote]

Go for It.
I was in the same position some time ago. I had about three/four weeks to get it together.
Although i did know all the tunes anyway [Medium Jazz Swing/Bossa's] it meant just concentrating
On fingerings and Intonation. It was for an old dears end of Pier tea dance,
So two in the bar all the way. It went ok and nobody died [not in the band anyway]
Down side - I ended up doing every Wednesday afternoon for three months.........
On an end of Pier tea dance for the old dears. :lol:

Good luck, i am sure you will be fine.

Garry

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys - And for the words of discouragement. I say thanks to the words of discouragement because it is you guys that have the nut screwed on and realise that this task isn't truly possible and have tried to make me aware of that and to steer clear of the gig.

Anyway, that aside, and my total ignorance of the words of discouragement;

Day 3 in the shed - I got all my charts sorted which is always a massive bug bare of mine. A friend helped me out with charts as I always utterly lose the rag. Now with chords in front of me, I can kind of see what I'm doing and where I'm meant to be going and what not, and it's coming together nicely. After day 3, I've not played the set in it's entirety. I hope to get that done in day 4.

The drummer did call me late last night though to tell me that there IS indeed a rehearsal today. Drummers, eh?!?! It's nice to be informed of rehearsals but with 17 hours notice, it's hardly ideal. Anyway, I'm pleased to be getting a rehearsal - Is it too late to be sacked at the rehearsal if they really think I'm not up to it?

Oh! And another plus point, at the rehearsal I took the db to yesterday, the guitarist - huge jazzer - didn't think I was awful on db. He just hopes that Cherokee or something hard swinging won't be called on the night to fill time. Ha!

Today I hope to be competent on all tunes by the rehearsal at half 5. Wish me luck!

Did I ever mention that the first big band gig I took, I couldn't really read at all? I'm now playing in three big bands and none of them are looking to replace me. Ropey "first times" seem to be my forte!

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1343907178' post='1757092']
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys - And for the words of discouragement. I say thanks to the words of discouragement because it is you guys that have the nut screwed on and realise that this task isn't truly possible and have tried to make me aware of that and to steer clear of the gig.

Anyway, that aside, and my total ignorance of the words of discouragement;

Day 3 in the shed - I got all my charts sorted which is always a massive bug bare of mine. A friend helped me out with charts as I always utterly lose the rag. Now with chords in front of me, I can kind of see what I'm doing and where I'm meant to be going and what not, and it's coming together nicely. After day 3, I've not played the set in it's entirety. I hope to get that done in day 4.

The drummer did call me late last night though to tell me that there IS indeed a rehearsal today. Drummers, eh?!?! It's nice to be informed of rehearsals but with 17 hours notice, it's hardly ideal. Anyway, I'm pleased to be getting a rehearsal - Is it too late to be sacked at the rehearsal if they really think I'm not up to it?

Oh! And another plus point, at the rehearsal I took the db to yesterday, the guitarist - huge jazzer - didn't think I was awful on db. He just hopes that Cherokee or something hard swinging won't be called on the night to fill time. Ha!

Today I hope to be competent on all tunes by the rehearsal at half 5. Wish me luck!

Did I ever mention that the first big band gig I took, I couldn't really read at all? I'm now playing in three big bands and none of them are looking to replace me. Ropey "first times" seem to be my forte!
[/quote]

I think that we have a new Basschat hero!

Good luck dude......

Day 4 in the shed:

I've spent less time in the shed today due to my teacher phoning me at 1pm this afternoon to offer me a db lesson for 2 so I hot footed it in to town to get my first db lesson. My teacher spent a lot of time speaking of bowing and went over a lot of really cool exercises, some of which would apply to electric bass too. We spent a lot of time chatting about the bow and intonation too. I shedded the tunes for an hour then went to my rehearsal.

We spent an hour and a half at the rehearsal waiting on the pianist and drummer (both no - shows) then I had to leave at 7. Time well spent. Not. At least they didn't hear me to sack me - And I've not heard of being sacked on a gig, though possible, I'm sure.

I feel I've come on the least today as far as prep for this gig is concerned, despite my lesson.

Tomorrow is going to be a case of seeing if I can keep going for 7 tunes at a time (2 x 7 song sets tomorrow night).

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1343944611' post='1757804']
Fingers crossed for you and good on ya for having the balls to do it , I was one of the [s]doughters[/s] daughters as well ! ;)
[/quote]
Fixed... :lol:

...and best of luck with the gig..!