Why become a member? ×

Faking It

AndyBob09

Last night I received a text from a drummer asking me to play a gig this coming Friday. I told him I was free and was good for it. His reply was that it was on double bass, asked for my email address to send me a setlist and told me times to turn up ...

There was just one tiny problem - Despite owning a double bass, I've basically NEVER played it. I obviously had the chance to reply that I couldn't do it but decided to take on the challenge.

None of the tunes are bass heavy and nothing too intricate. It's all vocal jazz a la Etta James, Ella, Judy Garland, Billie Holiday etc.

I feel a bit like that TV show from a few years back, 'Faking It'.

If I shed the setlist over and over for four days, do you think I'll be able to make it? It's one of these gigs that'll mean I'll either be in good rapport with the rest of the band and may get a few more deps out of it or that they'll make sure I never play in Glasgow again.

Eek.

Id advise the band of your predicament, but the fact youre prepared tö do it and youll need tö Slam it for four days. They can either go with another dep, or go with you.

I think the important thing is its an informed choice on their part. I wouldnt want a dep blagging it personally.

If youre keen tö get tö grips with the db, good opportunity tö have a crack and let them know you can in the future once youre ready.

If love tö say go for it, but Could be a very long uncomfortable gig otherwise and sounds ike your rep could be on the line.

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

Depends on so many things. It could be a disaster or a revelation but please do tell afterwards and let us know how you get on.

If it were me i'd be doing some chord sheets so that there would be something to hang on to when/if it starts going tits up.

Good luck.

You've certainly got your work cut out for you!

One of the great things about playing double bass is that you can get away with two notes per bar. So, assuming that the actual music isn't a problem, and that you've played fretless a lot, so your ear and intonation are OK, the only challenge you have are the sheer physicality of playing for 45 minutes plus, on an instrument that you have little or no experience of. Most new players have difficulty getting through one or two tracks before the cramp sets in, so if I were in your place, I'd be learning some warm up exercises and building up stamina.

Another thought - is the gig a full acoustic one? If not, have you got a pickup? If so, have you ever used it at gig volume? Double basses are big resonant boxes and most of us regular players spend a lot of our time fighting feedback - it would be shame if halfway through an Etta James track, your bass started making noises like a jump-jet taking off.

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1343665659' post='1753383']
Id advise the band of your predicament, but the fact youre prepared tö do it and youll need tö Slam it for four days. They can either go with another dep, or go with you.

I think the important thing is its an informed choice on their part. I wouldnt want a dep blagging it personally.

If youre keen tö get tö grips with the db, good opportunity tö have a crack and let them know you can in the future once youre ready.

If love tö say go for it, but Could be a very long uncomfortable gig otherwise and sounds ike your rep could be on the line.
[/quote]

Yeah, I said to the drummer last night that as far as db goes, I own one but am not great on the thing. I know for a fact that I'll be way down his call list - Having never been offered a gig from him before and know for a fact he has a huge musical circle to pluck players from - There only is about 6 or 7 pro DB players in Glasgow that I can think of, of that style.

And yes, being a pro gig, my rep is very much on the line.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1343665660' post='1753384']
Depends on so many things. It could be a disaster or a revelation but please do tell afterwards and let us know how you get on.

If it were me i'd be doing some chord sheets so that there would be something to hang on to when/if it starts going tits up.

Good luck.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm gonna write up some charts beforehand. I think that's what tonight is going to be for and then I'll start my long week of just shedding.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1343666325' post='1753400']
Another thought - is the gig a full acoustic one? If not, have you got a pickup? If so, have you ever used it at gig volume? Double basses are big resonant boxes and most of us regular players spend a lot of our time fighting feedback - it would be shame if halfway through an Etta James track, your bass started making noises like a jump-jet taking off.
[/quote]

Erm, I have a pickup on it. I've never heard of DB's feeding back lots but I'll keep my gain right down in the hope that helps a lot?

Cheers for the heads up on the warm up for stamina. I hadn't thought about that one! I'll look up some good warm ups and things. It's 14 tunes over a couple of hours with some Burlesque dancing and compering in between times. I'd imagine we'll be playing two sets.

Umm, not wanting to sound negative, but I tried a double bass a few months ago, and despite Clarky showing me the correct technique, it felt like playing a f***ing sperm whale.

Your upper body, wrists and hands may be f***ed after shedding for even a few hours, they will simply not be used to the techniques. Your muscles and tendons need conditioning over time. There's a risk that you will seize up a couple of days before the gig and be unable to play, leaving the band in the sh*t.

My reaction is that the responsible thing to do is to let someone else do it, put the work in for a future opportunity, and get a few lessons in the meantime so you get the correct techniques down.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343668980' post='1753439']
My reaction is that the responsible thing to do is to let someone else do it, put the work in for a future opportunity, and get a few lessons in the meantime so you get the correct techniques down.
[/quote]
Yeah, I agree. While I understand the 'Challenge', the[i] I'll never know till I try[/i] philosophy, I think it's pretty bad form to accept a gig for an instrument you've 'NEVER played'. It [i]may[/i] work out, but there is every possibility it will be a disaster.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1343672619' post='1753526']
Yeah, I agree. While I understand the 'Challenge', the[i] I'll never know till I try[/i] philosophy, I think it's pretty bad form to accept a gig for an instrument you've 'NEVER played'. It [i]may[/i] work out, but there is every possibility it will be a disaster.[/quote]

+1. I usually urge people to 'go for it' (as there's never any risk to myself ;)) but in all good conscience I can't do that in your case. It's going to be like pushing a wardrobe with a noisy hoover in it up a spiral staircase while simultaneously having that nightmare where you turn up for your Maths CSE in the nude - for two hours! Don't do it! Or if you do, we'll need a detailed account of the catastrophe! And a professionally-shot video of the whole disaster! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343668980' post='1753439']
Umm, not wanting to sound negative, but I tried a double bass a few months ago, and despite Clarky showing me the correct technique, it felt like playing a f***ing sperm whale.
[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am not the type to LOL or even type "LOL" but in this case i was ROFL.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1343667048' post='1753411']...I'll be way down his call list...[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]my rep is very much on the line...[/font][/color][/quote]
Good evening, Andy...
Perhaps a frank and open discussion with your drummer friend would be in order..? You could explain fully your qualms, and leave the call up to him..? He may be desperate to have at least some figuration on stage, really low in the mix, and accept a minimum 'root/5' performance, but it would only be fair (and, imho, far more 'professional'...) to be completely up-front as of now, rather than disappointing everyone on the night. He'd appreciate more, I would imagine, knowing beforehand how things stand, and would better respect your honesty if it's all above board.
Good luck, anyway...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343673982' post='1753561']
+1. I usually urge people to 'go for it' (as there's never any risk to myself ;)) but in all good conscience I can't do that in your case. It's going to be like pushing a wardrobe with a noisy hoover in it up a spiral staircase while simultaneously having that nightmare where you turn up for your Maths CSE in the nude - for two hours! Don't do it! Or if you do, we'll need a detailed account of the catastrophe! And a professionally-shot video of the whole disaster! :lol:
[/quote]

I'll get a video if you like? I could compile a best(worst) bits compilation.

I'm practicing little and often just now, trying to keep the blisters at bay. The good news is that a song has been cut from the set list and that i have more or less nailed one tune ... Just 12 more to go and only 4 days to do it in. Simples. I've arranged a lesson midweek too. I'll see what my teacher says to it then. He says to just practice until we see each other.

Back to the woodshed.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1343675675' post='1753598']
I'll get a video if you like? I could compile a best(worst) bits compilation.

I'm practicing little and often just now, trying to keep the blisters at bay. The good news is that a song has been cut from the set list and that i have more or less nailed one tune ... Just 12 more to go and only 4 days to do it in. Simples. I've arranged a lesson midweek too. I'll see what my teacher says to it then. He says to just practice until we see each other.

Back to the woodshed.
[/quote]

Good luck Jonah :D

It can be done, i did something similar however it wasn't a gig it was a rehearsal. In my late teens and early twenties i used to do a lot of local amateur and professional theater gigs. I got a gig doing Grease it was semi pro but at at a big theatre running for a week, pretty tidy money. The night before the second rehearsal i got totally shitfaced and the following morning turned up for the rehearsal still arseholed and without my bass. The MD wasn't happy. He asked what i was going to do. I spied a double bass in the corner. I said 'oh, I'll just play that!'. He asked if i could play it. 'Course i can i lied'. Found a couple of notes and blagged it brilliantly whilst rough. My fingers were grim for a while after tho.

I didn't want to be the first one to get all negative, but I do agree that if you've 'almost never' played your DB, then nailing a 14 song set in 4 days is a mammoth task. It would be scary enough if it was just afun gig, but for a gig that your reputation depends on? Dude, you must have cojones of steel....

Still, many pro players have blagged their way into a major gig and survived to tell the tale. You could be one of them.

If you're going for it, my bets advice is to keep it simple. It's better to play one rignt note per bar than 4 wrong ones. Don't be tempted to get all flashy and impressive as your forearm WILL lock up halfway through song number 3.

Good luck!

If you do decide to go for it, there are a couple of ways to improve your chances; if you've got an adjustable bridge, drop it down low and play lightly - you'll lose acoustic projection but you'll be amplified anyway. Secondly, don't be afraid to put dots on the side of your fingerboard - use something removable. Neither of these will do you many favours in the long run, but they'll help you get through the gig.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1343672619' post='1753526']
Yeah, I agree. While I understand the 'Challenge', the[i] I'll never know till I try[/i] philosophy, I think it's pretty bad form to accept a gig for an instrument you've 'NEVER played'. It [i]may[/i] work out, but there is every possibility it will be a disaster.
[/quote]

That sounds a bit like that time I offered to be Macca's sound engineer for the Olympics opening ceremony. I mean, how hard could it be?

Turns out you can't polish a turd.

I would go for it... yes it won't be the best gig you did but if you are a pro player as long as someone shows you how to fret (nothing like a guitar), your left shoulder / elbow position, how you pizz with your right (again nothing like a guitar), then you will be fine.

Don't forget that finger position is all important and you may need to re-learn some of the progressions you normally do on a guitar on the DB to make life easier. Open strings are most definitely your friend for many reasons.

Finally, there should be no need for blisters if you play the right technique no matter how long you play for.