Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1329950869' post='1550433']
One of my fave basslines ever. Fits the song perfectly.
[/quote]

Its brilliant.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1329985275' post='1550680']
Been a Smiths fan since 84 but for some reason (which I am ashamed of) never took enough notice of the bass parts and never tried playing them.
They really do fly along and great fun.

Nowhere Fast is the line I has learnt this week.
[/quote]

I learned the Hatful of Hollow version of "What Difference Does It Make..." the other week. One of my all time favourite lines. Andy Rourke, I salute you!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1329986123' post='1550703']
I learned the Hatful of Hollow version of "What Difference Does It Make..." the other week. One of my all time favourite lines. Andy Rourke, I salute you!
[/quote]

I did Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now a month or two ago. That's another great bassline. Mind you, most of Andy Rourke's were.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1329987250' post='1550728']
I did Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now a month or two ago. That's another great bassline. Mind you, most of Andy Rourke's were.
[/quote]
I couldnt agree more tredders ,he is my all time great bass player !
btw have you seen this?
http://www.micturion.com/smiths/

Edited by gub

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1331318478' post='1571424']
I couldnt agree more tredders ,he is my all time great bass player !
btw have you seen this?
[url="http://www.micturion.com/smiths/"]http://www.micturion.com/smiths/[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers for sharing - I find some of Andy Rourke's basslines a bit fiddly - that's a really useful site! :)

Not sure if I ever learn any. I learn them, write them down and then forget them. The most recent one was Henri Texier's Soweto Sorrow (a year ago?) but I couldn't play it now if my life depended on it. I guess the only lines I learn now are the ones I write for my own compositions. If I don't learn those, nobody will :lol: BUt if I write them, I am not learning them, am I? I am writing them....

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1332496841' post='1589032']
Not sure if I ever learn any. I learn them, write them down and then forget them. The most recent one was Henri Texier's Soweto Sorrow (a year ago?) but I couldn't play it now if my life depended on it. I guess the only lines I learn now are the ones I write for my own compositions. If I don't learn those, nobody will :lol: BUt if I write them, I am not learning them, am I? I am writing them....
[/quote]

Me too. I have learned litterally hundreds of other peoples tunes over the years... yet if I was to sit down right now I could probably only rember a handful. however if you started jamming them with me well then suddenly they come flowing back. How does that work?

Our guitarist is classicallly trained and simply doesn't remember tunes at all - even original material. He has note books with mysterious scribings in them which somehow tell him what to do.

We're playing a wedding tomorrow night and we've had to learn Everlong by the Foo Fighters for the 'first dance'.

Why anyone would want that as their first dance song is beyond me!
Crap song with a really boring Bass line and it means I'll have to faff about re-tuning from drop-D straight after for the rest of the set.

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1332498634' post='1589072']
......Crap song with a really boring Bass line and it means I'll have to faff about re-tuning from drop-D straight after for the rest of the set.
[/quote]

Most Foos bass riffs are a bit on the simplistic side - I've always said he has the best $$$ to effort ratio job in the world.
Don't know about it being a crap song though... a bit commercial maybe.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332500641' post='1589123']
Most Foos bass riffs are a bit on the simplistic side - I've always said he has the best $$$ to effort ratio job in the world.
Don't know about it being a crap song though... a bit commercial maybe.
[/quote]
Maybe I was being a bit harsh there. It's just in no way am I a Foo Fighters fan, however I can respect why people would like them.
But I really do think it's an odd choice for a first dance. We did a wedding last year where the first dance was a Greenday song!
Each to their own I suppose, but 75% of our set is 60's or Mod based stuff, so these requests tend to stick out a bit.

Also had to learn Tears of a Clown recently which has a great Bassline to it,now that'smuch more our thang!!!