Why become a member? ×

Choosing a Class D head with more than 500W at 4 ohms and no more than £700

Clarky

Sorry, another "help me choose an amp" type thread ....

The brief: I have been looking for a lightweight class D head that can do clean through to valve-esque warmth (doesn't need to be really gritty) and packs more than 500W into 4 ohms (my Acme 2x10" cab is fantastic sounding but not very efficient and needs lots of "juice"). Don't want to spend a small fortune, by which I mean more than say £700 (which probably rules out a Tecamp Puma unless there are any available second hand on BC).

The choices that I have come across seem to be the new Gallien-Kruger MB800 (the cheapest at £549), the Genz Streamliner 9 or Shuttle 9.2 (each close to £700), or the MarkBass LM800 Tube (about £700).

Am I missing any in this list and is there any reason why I shouldn't just go for the cheapest option - the MB800, as recommended by none other than BC's very own Dood? Ta muchly, Clarky

I'd say any of those would do the job, it's the old thing of is there anywhere can you try them all before you buy!
I often have to buy blind on reviews or videos I have seen on the net... have a good sniff round...
Good luck.

I love my Streamliner 900 for bass guitar. I haven't tried it with upright but it will certainly tick your boxes tone wise & should have enough oomph for your Acme.

I had G-K 700 before & much prefer the Streamliner in every way but especially tone wise.

Happy hunting!

GK and Shuttle should have a cleaner tone, Streamliner a valve sound and LM800 just muddys the sound too much (at least the one i heard did...).
Mind that i have the shuttle 9 and can assure you that it goes nowere near the stated 900W, it's more like 500W... I briefly had a Reidmar and even though i never used any of my amps at full wack i could swear that the Reidmar was louder than the GB, just not as good tone for my likings. I have a Walkabout for 2 days so i won't make any judgement on it but it's also very loud, not sure if enough for you.

There are more options out there but i'll let them be presented to you by people owning those amps.

cheers

Thanks for your comments so far. I would have included the Mesa Walkabout on my list, although its not as light as the ones mentioned nor >500W (although its damn loud!) but the new price is astronomical and I missed buying Scooby's second-hand one that was for sale last week for about 5 nanosecoonds!

My limited experience of two highly regarded class-D bass amps is that they couldn't punch their way out of a paper bag. Definitely try before you buy if you're spending that kind of dosh. And try with your band if you can - in the shop doesn't tell you a lot.

Of course, those who own these amps are going to tell you they are wonderful - and they might be right. But it's you're money.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1341853960' post='1725172']
Does the Hartke LH1000 fit the bill?

I have to confess that I'm still out to lunch on class D amps for bass but everyone has different needs and wants so the GK may well do the job. ;)
[/quote]

If I was coming down to newcastle in the next few weeks I would lend you my Puma1000 while I move house, but I'm not going anywhere near. Thunderfunk is pretty lightweight isn't it?

I know you stated more than 500 watts Clarky, but having had the GK MB500, and currently having the GK MB Fusion 500, these amps are loud. Admittedly I`ve put them through high-efficiency cabs, but I`ve never needed the volume on more than 9 o`clock for gigs. And that`s with fairly flat eq settings.

There's a very clever scientific explanation that I am sure someone will furnish us with but basically its an ultra-lightweight, compact power amp circuit ... effectively it means you can pack a decent powered amp head into a small lightweight package. Markbass probably first main exponents and now everyone does it

http://www.soundindustry.co.uk/acatalog/W-Audio-1300W-1U-Amplifier-Horizon1300-AMP44.html

I bought the 1100W version of this to drive a Barefaced Super Twelve. Discreet can tell you about whether or not it has sufficient headroom.

Stick your favourite head in front of it, and just use the pre-amp section.

It costs a quarter of what the equivalent Powersoft Digam unit costs, and it's way more than a quarter as good. :D

Thanks Jack but, er, wouldn't that mean I have to buy an amp and a power amp ? I'm not after recreating Grateful Dead's wall of sound, just driving a great sounding but low-efficiency cab with a gigbag-friendly head :lol:

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341856531' post='1725237']
If I was coming down to newcastle in the next few weeks I would lend you my Puma1000 while I move house, but I'm not going anywhere near. Thunderfunk is pretty lightweight isn't it?
[/quote]

It isn't my thread Luke, I'm not the one wanting an amp! :D

I'd not give up the Thunderfunk for anything... regardless of weight. ;)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1341857546' post='1725264']
I am not warwickhunt, although people have often said it of me
[/quote]

Oy! That's my line. ;)

Would the EA amps fit the bill then? They seem to come up now and again and the prices are way low for a used one.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1341857369' post='1725260']
Thanks Jack but, er, wouldn't that mean I have to buy an amp and a power amp ? I'm not after recreating Grateful Dead's wall of sound, just driving a great sounding but low-efficiency cab with a gigbag-friendly head :lol:
[/quote]

Nope, that IS the power amp. You already have some very nice heads ... just [i][b]Send [/b][/i]from one of them into the power amp.

T'was only a thought ...

;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1341857455' post='1725261']
It isn't my thread Luke, I'm not the one wanting an amp! :D

I'd not give up the Thunderfunk for anything... regardless of weight. ;)
[/quote][quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1341857546' post='1725264']
I am not warwickhunt, although people have often said it of me
[/quote]

good point... but it is an awesome class D that might be the... er end of lunch? and clarky is miles and miles away down south. Will be going no where near him! (hi clarky!)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341859291' post='1725304']
good point... but it is an awesome class D that might be the... er end of lunch? and clarky is miles and miles away down south. Will be going no where near him! (hi clarky!)
[/quote]

Not wishing to derail Clarky's thread :D but I will confess that the Tecamp 'Blackcat' class D amp that I had was probably the best class D amp but even that didn't stack up against the TF.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1341859437' post='1725307']
Not wishing to derail Clarky's thread :D but I will confess that the Tecamp 'Blackcat' class D amp that I had was probably the best class D amp but even that didn't stack up against the TF.
[/quote]was blackcap class D? *looks it up* aye so it is, valve front end? my guess that the power amp section is fairly similar/the same... just a different preamp/eq/compressor in a dinky box

And back to the main thing in this thread... which is Clarky!