Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine editor

Joel McIver

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1343076613' post='1744973']
Hi Joel and welcome.

Going a little off kilter here but how about an article on hearing protection, dedicated ear plugs etc... As well as promoting bass playing and extolling the virtues of players and kit, a little social responsibility on how to protect our hearing would be interesting - once it's gone it's gone man :)

Also perhaps the mag could acknowledge Bass Chat for all the great ideas for future issues ;)
[/quote]

Have to agree. many musicians have developed hearing problems and for me the most important piece of kit for a bass player is quality moulded ear plugs. Screw strings , boutique basses and high powered amplification. They are designed to give you a tone to die for, but in the process may damage your hearing. So IMO they are only of any value when used in the proper context and that means protecting ones hearing

[quote name='Joel McIver' timestamp='1343075716' post='1744955']I'm on deadline with issue 82, which is a 25th anniversary Jaco cover
[/quote]Jaco, again? Oh dear. Sorry to all the Jaco fans, but hasn't he been done to death somewhat? (Ducks and waits for the flak)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343044604' post='1744133']
Also your artworkers still haven't worked out the difference between " the inch symbol and ” the closing double quote symbol.[/quote]

Having been a typesetter in another life, it's nice to know there are still people who can tell the difference.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343149169' post='1746154']
Having been a typesetter in another life, it's nice to know there are still people who can tell the difference.
[/quote]

It's one of my pet hates. And the reason why people keep giving me work because I spot and fix stuff like this. Interestingly in the case of BGM it's not the use of feet and inch symbols in place of quotes and apostrophes, but the fact that they are using automatic smart quote conversion which is being over-zealous and replacing instances of the inch symbol which are correct (15" referring to speaker diameter) with a closing double quote.

Of course no magazine dealing with contemporary music should be using an automated smart quote substitution system that can't parse <Rock ’n’ Roll> correctly!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343044604' post='1744133']
Joel, just finished reading all the way through Issue 80, July 2012 (the one with Geddy Lee on the cover). One of the things a good editor should be doing is checking for consistency throughout the publication.

So I was surprised to read in the review of the TC Electronic BG250 Combo on page 58 the following:

"Of course, with a 15" speaker, the low end is pleasingly full..."

and then to find 14 pages later a whole article by Alex Claber completely disbunking the myth that a particular sized speaker has a particular sound and that the bigger the speaker diameter the bassier the sound.

Also your artworkers still haven't worked out the difference between
" the inch symbol
and
” the closing double quote symbol.
[/quote]

Fixed it for you. ;)

[quote name='Joel McIver' timestamp='1343075716' post='1744955']
(I'm on deadline with issue 82, which is a 25th anniversary Jaco cover)
[/quote]

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1342268578' post='1732584']
One criticism Joel, could you set the cliche monitor to a slighly higher setting please!
[/quote]

Re the August edition, the review of the F Bass BN6 talks about "in terms of hardware, a mixture of chrome and black has been used. Chrome Gotoh tuners..." All the hardware is black in the photo, even the tuners!

Also Paul Geary's example notation seems to have lost its "T" and "P" 's. too!

I claim my free subscription!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=1728297"][/url]AndyBob09, on 11 July 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]I can +1 the full transcriptions (no tab please! If you don't even give tab as an option, it may encourage people to read actual music. People who play woodwind or brass instrument don't get a handicap) but I do understand the issue of paying publishers. IF the transcription wasn't accurate - out by a quaver or something - where does that have you stand?[/size][/font][/color]

[quote/]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Other people have mentioned that this is commercial suicide and I'd tend to agree BUT I think this is a cracking suggestion for online content. With a magazine subscription you could get access to the extras online, including dots only transcriptions of the features in that months magazine (which would feature dots and tab to reach out to most people). [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Give both dots and tab and let the reader decide what they use!! Giving dots only, or suggesting that they should, comes over as a bit "I can read dots so why can't you?". Why would you deny someone who likes tabs the resource, unless its to give you some sort of (misplaced) sense of superiority?

Personally I have read music for trumpet in the past, but tend to use my ears for bass with occasional reference to tabs where my ears fail me. I would use dots as well for the occasional reference but they are not so easily obtained (which I'd agree is a shame).

Joel, welcome, Kudos and all that.

Maybe you could look into doing some of the more 'business' side of being bass players, either looking at getting session work in theaters and how to get into it, to the more basic stuff about promoting your Original Math Rock/Jazz/Reggae fusion band to your mates for that gig at the Dog and Duck so that the landlord will bung you some beer and petrol money...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1341446485' post='1719355']
(you'd be amazed how many contentious issues there are between Land Rover enthusiasts.)
[/quote]

bizzarely, I believe you underestimate some of us

Welcome! If you want transcriptions (or extracts of!) give me a shout - I've got loads on my website and would be happy to throw stuff your way! Maybe you could get round the full transcription thing by using extracts and doing a kind of 'stylistic / genre study' kind of thing....? I'd happily do you a blues one if you wanted?!

All the best for the magazine - I will start buying it again I think having read through all of these post!

I have no idea why the bassists from Offspring and Europe have been asked whether they play slap. Was it so they could have the opportunity to say how much they hate it and how it's only noise, not music? Or was the interviewer unprepared, so went with the most obvious question for interviewing random bass players: "so... do you play slap?". I guess you wouldn't ask Marcus Miller if he sometimes lowers his bass to knee level and bangs it with a pick... I don't play slap myself, but it's irritating when I have to read several times in a single issue how wrong it is to do so. Why spread the hatred?

I'm not saying it isn't, just wondering why players who have been well known for decades for playing their styles, need to be asked "so do you play slap?". And if they answer with something negative (I'm sure I've seen the word HATE there), why isn't it edited out? Wouldn't it be better to ask them if/how they practice, tips for gigs etc?

I would dislike it just as much, if it was a slapper talking about how much he hates plectrums.

• 1 month later...