Why become a member? ×

40 Noises That Built Pop

WHUFC BASS

Another dubious list!!

The main sound that built modern music was Earl Palmer's back beat drum style, snare on 2 and 4, first recorded in 1949. Everything stems from that feel. No, really, everything!

If you want to put feedback on the list (but I don't think feed back has played a very large part in the last 60 years), first recorded by the Beatles, you should use Hendrix as your example, who on earth is the Gang of Four!

Apart from Earl Palmer's drums, the other critical defining "noise" in modern music is the Fender Precision bass guitar. The double bass hung on for years but the Pbass was THE bass sound of modern music.... still is.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1340962817' post='1712016']
The sound that defined the early pop revolution in UK was Hank's intro to Move It. Turned a whole generation on to the electric guitar, Bert notwithstanding!
[/quote]

I'm fairly certain Hank didn't play on Move it , the intro has always been credited to sessioneer Ernie Shear , with rhythm played by Ian Samwell , Hank and the other 'Drifters' as they were then didn't play on the first few Cliff records .

[quote name='sticker' timestamp='1340964839' post='1712061']
I'm fairly certain Hank didn't play on Move it , the intro has always been credited to sessioneer Ernie Shear , with rhythm played by Ian Samwell , Hank and the other 'Drifters' as they were then didn't play on the first few Cliff records .
[/quote]

I stand corrected. Still an iconic sound and fair play to Ernie!

[b][i]On a bass guitar, the frets tell you where the notes are.[/i] [/b]

:scratch_one-s_head:

edit ....

[i][b]...but the resultant noise can lead to irritation among otherwise mild-mannered music fans.[/b][/i] :lol: :lol:

come on own up you lot - that journo is a BC member - whcih one of you is it??

editedit
kudos that theyve bothered to insert an example soundclip for each item :)

edit3
im liking some of the quotage too (28)
[b][i](Nile) Rodgers developed his technique based upon the wise words of Miles Davis: "It's not the sh1t you play, it's the sh1t you don't play." "The funkier I play," says Rodgers in a tutorial video, "the less you're actually going to hear."[/i][/b]

Edited by steve-bbb

As lists go I thought it was pretty good. The examples might not have been the most original or "coolest" but they perfectly illustrated each point, and remember "The Word" is aimed mainly at people who listen to music rather than make it.

I'm now off to see if it's possible to write and record a song that uses all of them. Wish me luck!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1340969676' post='1712178']
Surprised that the Yamaha DX7 E.Piano only made it to number 35.

If you were born in the 80's think yourself lucky you were too young to remember!
[/quote]

I think it was a chronological list, rather than order of importance.
(I quite enjoy a DX7 E.Piano myself, though I do jam it through a fuzzface and a phaser... ;) )

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1340970440' post='1712198']
I think it was a chronological list, rather than order of importance.
(I quite enjoy a DX7 E.Piano myself, though I do jam it through a fuzzface and a phaser... ;) )
[/quote]

For the synth-rock band I played in the 80s it was the starting point for most of our substitute guitar sounds.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340971092' post='1712217']
For the synth-rock band I played in the 80s it was the starting point for most of our substitute guitar sounds.
[/quote]

Oddly, I have a friend who did the same with a DX7 into one of those little Boss half rack multi-FX. To this day he's still proud that he got sacked from one band for sounding too much like a guitarist.

Errr what a poorly written and researched article. I particularly love the "The sound of a snare drum can be fairly insubstantial and generally needs souping up with reverb to make it sound more prominent" - Errrr no, the sound of snare drum is one of the only acoustic instruments liable to make you deaf. Of course if you record it badly and mix it to sound like a mouse farting it wont have the same impact.

What a tool.

Oh and where was "Parliament: Flashlight - first use of synth bass" - without which there would have been no sequenced bass - and why sequenced bass, why not just sequenced stuff, surely he doesnt believe sequencers are only used for bass - and IIRC it was an arpegiated line rather than sequenced (fine distinction I know).

Daft Punk seem to get a lot of props, yet nothing he mentioned there was invented by them by any means...

I'd also site Peek-a-Boo by Siouxsie and the Banshees as the most over use of tape reversal on a single (a #1 single at that IIRC) -virtaully the entire backing track was flipped before the vocal went down - killer idea!

I would put Multitrack recording at the top of the list, it has had a far wider ranging effect on the sound of pop/rock than every other thing in the list. And yes, it definitely has a sound, its [i]the[/i] sound of pop.

Then again I'd also put forward the sound of Neuman U87, U47 (FET and tube) and U67 mics; Fairchild, La2a and 1176 compressors; Lexicon reverbs; Studer tape machines; API and Neve preamps; SSL buss compressors; reverb chambers; Joe Osborne; NS10 monitors; tape loops and digital limiting mastering techniques ahead of most of that list.

Admittedly the sound of a lot of the above is more esoteric, but they have added more to pop music in general than those few musical idiosyncarcies mentioned in that list.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1340982209' post='1712430']
I would put Multitrack recording at the top of the list, it has had a far wider ranging effect on the sound of pop/rock than every other thing in the list. And yes, it definitely has a sound, its [i]the[/i] sound of pop.
[/quote]

Ditto. I also reckon the Korg M1 piano sound did more for popular music than the DX7 one, but that's just my opinion.