Why become a member? ×

Recognising players in a few notes

Bilbo

I have been listening to my ipod on shuffle lately and am amazed at how many players I recognise in an instant; not because I know the tracks but because I know their sound. Sometimes I can figure out a whole band simply on their individual tone, ideas, soloing etc. Sonny Rollins, Joe Lovano, Dave Holland, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Mike Stern, Richard Bona, Ornette Coleman, Don Cherry, Coltrane, Miles, W & B Marsalis, Mrc Johnson, Eddie Gomez, Chick Corea, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, Curtis Fuller, Bob Brookmeyer, Charlie Haden...the list goes on and on and on. All by osmosis.

What is also interesting is that this is easy when there is a singer involved but less so when it is an instrumentalist.

Impressive!

The only musicians I can think of that I'd be able to recognise would be Mark Knopfler (who couldn't recognise his style?!) and Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne bassist who has a very distinctive sound and playing style). The problem with recognising musicians is that over the course of a few albums, the whole bands style and sound changes which makes it a bit harder! I could maybe recognise a couple more guitarists from the solo style; Mikael Akerfeldt springs to mind.

Truckstop

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1340954484' post='1711858']
Stevie Wonder on harmonica - instantly recognisable.
[/quote]

Yes of course - also on many films from the 60/70/80's Toots Thielemans is always lurking
On some Music cue.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Billy Sheehan - the pinch harmonic. Was listening to a Mr Big d/l in the car from a memory stick that does not show track details ( :angry: damn you Audi!) and did not recognise the track/band (there are hundreds of tracks & all the car shows it "Track [i]nn[/i]") but the second he hit the pinch harmonic I knew who it was
Steve Morse - has a very distinctive lead guitar style due to picking every note.
Eric Johnson - has a pretty recognisable tone too

Don't think i could nowadays as so many great bassists on the go. Maybe Chris Squire but usually because i know the songs rather than the sound.
I used to be able to tell what bass was being used ie Rik, jazz, precision, ibanez, WAL, Shergold, Kramer, EB3 but again too many nowadays i don't think its possible added to the fact digital samplig makes it easier to sound like something else.

Dave

John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny, Larry Carlton, Eric Dolphy, Duke Ellington's piano and his Orchestra, Joe Zawinul, Jaco (of course), Stanley Clarke, Miguel Zenon, Paul Motian, Bill Frissel, Bob Mintzer's arrangements, Rush, Steve Howe, Allan Holdsworth, Jimmy Johnson, Pete Erskine, Roy Haynes, Philly Joe Jones, Eberhard Weber, Iron Maiden, Steve Lacy, Bill Stewart, Lee Konitz, Carla Bley arrangements, the Birth of the Cool band, Kenny Wheeler, Steve Coleman, Jeff 'Tain' Watts.......

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1340979795' post='1712387']
Lists is me all over, mate. I have lists all over the place. Latent autism.

Seriously, though, they are all players I can recognise from about 2 or 3 seconds of playing.

[b]Still can't tell a Precison from a Jazz, thoug[/b]h. :lol:
[/quote]

Note choice, phrasing, timekeeping, swing vs timbre, attack, sustain etc etc