Why become a member? ×

Is an '8 X 10' equivalent to a '1 X 80'?? Eh??

discreet

[b]Is an '8 X 10' equivalent to a '1 X 80'?? Eh??[/b]

I'll say right now that this is not entirely a serious post, but... If a cab has EIGHT drivers that are TEN inches in diameter... and leaving aside for the moment considerations such as response speed and all that... and of course completely ignoring technical and manufacturing issues...

Does this mean that an 8 X 10 is equivalent to ONE driver EIGHTY INCHES (6' 8") in diameter..?? Or what?? Eh? Eh? :D

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1340492541' post='1705346']
You have to square it because it works on area not length. The Pi part cancels out.
[/quote]

Ah so 8 round 10" speakers is the same as 1 square 80" speaker. Thanks for clearing that one up Mr Foxen :)

A

My rudimentary maths, and basic knowledge of speakers, tells me that you'd need a 100 x 8 cab to get the equivalent surface area of a 1 x 80 cab.
But it's late so I could be way out.

Edit - I've now realised I've made the calculation based on 8" speakers. Told you it was late.

Edited by sixdegrees

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340493366' post='1705360']
A square speaker? Would that even work? :lol:
[/quote]
Yes (well, rectangular, actually...) I had a pair of polystyrene speakers (the 'cone' was flat and the polystyrene chassis was ultra-thin...) They were to be hung on a wall in a narrow cab, a bit like a framed painting. They worked very well with my Cambridge hi-fi amp at the time. I'd like another pair, if I got the chance.
As for the 1 x 80 speaker, it's been done. 'Back to the Future', anyone..?

Edited by Dad3353

8 x 10 = 628ish sq. ins.
1 x 80 = 5025ish sq.ins. and likely to need a humungeous magnet and cab.
Frig it - wouldn't bother, likely to be too heavy, unless I could afford a roadie.
But imagine it built in to the wall of the back of the stage - you could nail yourself to the floor and, BOOM, blow the punters clean out of their cotton socks and seats straight through the exit doors backwards without their feet touching the ground.
Now that would be a show, wouldn't it? :crazy:

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1340492968' post='1705354']
Ah so 8 round 10" speakers is the same as 1 square 80" speaker. Thanks for clearing that one up Mr Foxen :)

A
[/quote]

LOL.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340493366' post='1705360']
A square speaker? Would that even work? :lol:
[/quote]

Certainly would. In fact, you can buy them. They're not really strictly "square" though; the corners have to be rounded off to reduce stress on the unit:

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1340519381' post='1705456']
8 x 10 = 628ish sq. ins.
1 x 80 = 5025ish sq.ins. and likely to need a humungeous magnet and cab.
Frig it - wouldn't bother, likely to be too heavy, unless I could afford a roadie.
But imagine it built in to the wall of the back of the stage - you could nail yourself to the floor and, BOOM, blow the punters clean out of their cotton socks and seats straight through the exit doors backwards without their feet touching the ground.
Now that would be a show, wouldn't it? :crazy:
[/quote]
thats just had me howling :D the baby asleep on my chest was not impressed and isd now also howling, with about the same volume levels as your mythical wall speaker

So why don't us bassists use Kicker subs?

[quote]How do you improve on a patented mechanical brute? Since the 18-inch S18X debuted in 2003, KICKER engineers have been working to make SoloX more advanced. This year they went all the way, creating the world’s ultimate bass machine.

Patented square subwoofer technology designed with the serious autosound competitor in mind, SoloX Subwoofers go where no others can. The 10-inch S10X, the 12-inch S12X, and the absurd S18X… it’s KICKER ingenuity to the umpteenth power. The SoloX earmark is the SPAIR (Simple Pull Apart Insertable Replacement)™, the patented cone/coil assembly that differs from other field-replaceable cones because the woofer’s cast-aluminum basket and massive motor assembly (BAM) remains intact in the enclosure during reload. In 2008 the SPAIR, just as the SoloX itself, withstands unnatural amounts of abuse while retaining the infrastructure for thunderous bass that earned it both competitive SPL (sound pressure level) and sound-quality world championships within weeks of its original release. Additionally, the newest SPAIR retro-fits into the previous generation of SoloX BAM if needed, with no modification.

More KICKER firsts provide protection against ruthless heat and other potential hazards. The distinctive UniPlate V.2™ hyper-extended, pole/backplate assembly stays cooler with X-Vent™ technology (pat.pend.), yielding enhanced heat transfer for maximum power handling as well. This breakthrough in subwoofer motor construction increases linear magnetic fields around the coil gap for superior cone-motion control, all while releasing pressure under the cone for freer suspension and enhanced low bass. OK, it slams.

Further heat dissipation comes from the vented pole’s ARCTIC (Aluminum Rapid Cooling Thermal Induction Centering) Cap™, creating a Venturi-effect and forcing greater amounts of cooling air through the X-Vent, all while its high mass acts as a heat sink. SoloX’s dual voice coils and copper-clad-aluminum, edge-wound coil wire are oversized to withstand extreme heat too. No KICKER woofer possesses this many features to remain so reliable.

Additional cooling comes from KICKER’s perimeter venting™, pumping out heated air trapped beneath the S10X and S12X’s S3 Triple Spider Array™ and replacing it with cooling outside air (Quad Spider Array on the S18X). The one-piece, injection-molded cone’s new spoke design supplies structural bracing and contains a rolled outer edge to increase rigidity and decrease flex under high excursion. Stitched surround helps to prevent cone/surround separation. SoloX subs also utilize removable spring-loaded binding posts, making connection to any type or size of wire quick and easy.

For complete system flexibility, SoloX comes available with dual 2-Ohm or dual 4-Ohm voice coils, as do respective SPAIR models.[/quote]

Just found the answer...

[quote]

Model S12X
Size (IN.,CM) 12, 30.5 [b]Weight (lbs.,kg)[/b] [b]47, 21.3[/b] [b]Max Rec Amplifier Power (WATTS PEAK/RMS)[sup]*[/sup][/b] [b]3000/1500[/b] [b]Sensitivity (dB 1w/1m)[/b] [b]87.7[/b] [b]Frequency Response (Hz)[/b] [b]20-100[/b] Mounting Depth (IN.,CM) 8-9/16, 21.7 Mounting Cutout, Square (IN.,CM) 11-1/4, 28.6
Recommended Box Volumes:
The SoloX is engineered for Highly specialized installations/applications. See the Tech Manual or conslult the KICKER Technical Support Team for enclosure specifications based on your individual requirements.
[b][sup]*[/sup]Assumes typical music program with minimal amplifier clipping; varies with enclosure size. See your KICKER dealer for details.[/b]
[b][sup]**[/sup]Port Volume Excluded.[/b]
[b]Due to continual development, product, and specifications are subject to change without notice. Stillwater Designs and it's agents are not responsible for typographical errors.[/b][/quote]
:lol:

Question needs more info. I understood it wasn't just the diameter of the speaker but how far they can move in and out. Double the couple of mill they move by a couple more mill and you have the equivalent of two speakers.

Also my turn for this bit:

[attachment=111381:Squares.jpg]

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1340575308' post='1706582']
Question needs more info. I understood it wasn't just the diameter of the speaker but how far they can move in and out. Double the couple of mill they move by a couple more mill and you have the equivalent of two speakers.
[/quote]

That's a degrees of equivalence thing, if you are talking linear measurements, its all about area, once you get into volume displacement, new game, area still tends toward sensitivity to voltage, but more excursion means more power handling, which can make up your max SPL.

Strewth this is getting technical, or as my old boss used to say, "Bullsh*t Baffles Brains and I ain't got no brains".
I'm off to bed now to refresh and will consider the air movement, sensitivity, coil and magnet requirements along with the heat dissipation questions in the morning.
Goodnight all. :)

Edited by Jazzneck