Why become a member? ×

Boiling strings

wally8

Hello all

Bit random, but does anyone else boil their strings after a month or so from new to bring some twang back into them?

My dad is well tight and used to do it to his strings which always made me laugh but it does breathe a bit of life back into them and the cack that is left floating in the boiling water is pretty ming afterwards.

Cheers

Edited by wally8

A search on the forum would definitely answer that.

Boiling was more popular in the days of yore, those who once boiled are more likely to be using meths in a tube these days as it doesnt put the string core through a heat cycle or soak it in water, both of which weaken it.

I have a few sets of DR Lo-Riders that I rotate through the meths tube whenever I'm going to gig or record to freshen them up a bit - I would probably get new and play them in for a really important recording or gig to be on the safe side now as the youngest set it over 3 years old. Its not being a skinflint, its just avoiding wastage, the money I save on strings goes into other essentials instead....

I can confirm that soaking strings in meths does wonders for them. The tired crappy old strings on my Stagg sound completely, totally different after an overnight bath in meths. So different that you might want to tread with care; if you have some amazing sound that you just love, don't go doing this. But then if you had a sound you loved, you wouldn't be considering this in the first place, I suppose.

[url="http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/how_to_clean_bass_strings.html"]All you need to know about cleaning strings in meths[/url] - and yes it really does work....

[url="http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/bass_string_cleaning_tube.html"]How to make a nice string cleaning tube...[/url]

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340119212' post='1699403']
IMO boiling string is a complete waste of time. I tried it once and the D string snapped when I put them back on. I couldn't hear any significant improvement in the others. Too much effort for too little gain.
[/quote]

I used to do it and it definitely worked for me. Some sets were boiled two or three times, but the improvement got less each time and lasted less time too. I got some meths from school but haven't needed to use it yet. I too fail to see the necessity of the tube - unless it reduces stress on the strings by avoiding the need to coil them... but then again they may have spent months or even years in their packet coiled up, so what is the harm in doing it for another hour in a tub of meths? :blink:

This is so weird! I actually did this the night before the OP started this for about the first time in 15 yrs - the strings weren't that old just hadn't done it in a long time - actually only did one string, the D, and I can honestly say it made absolutely bugger all difference :-)

BB

Bear in mind if you use the same meths for ages it absorbs water, and can still allow strings to rust. Mostly if you use a tub instead of a tube so there is loads of area exposed to air. Also, I found my meths tub after being abandoned for a year or two due to house moves, and all the meths evaporated, and left a tub coated with dissolved out finger jam. Special kind of minging.

When I started playing in mid-90s, I bought a book to learn from, written by Wojtek Pilichowski (I know some people know of him here). He actually gave advice there. It was not to bother with boiling, just use hot tap water and dissolve some washing powder in it. Then put your (curled) strings in it for quarter of an hour, take out, rinse well, dry with a hairdryer. I followed that advice for many years, nothing ever happened and the sound afterwards was always fresher and zingier. I've never changed strings that I've had on a Peavey bass that I bought in 1999 and sold in 2008. Never. Same set of SS Rotos, only washed about three times a year. OK, I defretted the bass after two years, so didn't really care for highs too much. Boiled strings a few times, too, this time with some washing-up liquid added (just a couple of drops). The detergent helps to break the grub down, water only won't help much. As for water damaging the strings - nothing happened to mine, no rust (well, it did on nickel Dean Markleys), no breakages. It's stainless steell ffs, pots, pans and knives are made of it.

To be fair, tried meths as well (overnight), and it worked nicely, too. And, I seem to be blessed with hands that don't sweat, and light touch when playing.

Still playing the original strings that my J-bass came with when I bought it. That was...er...in 1974. But they just seem to be getting better and better with age. Love the tone from my setup.

All this new string stuff? Pah. Marketing hype.

CB

I don't know what the core is made of, but as I've said, I never experienced any problems caused by washing the strings. I don't do it anymore, just can't be bothered to take them off and then put on again. That's actually what I think might cause breakages (near the tuners). Now I just slide a sheet of plastic between strings and the bass, wipe them with a cloth damped with meths generously, brush a bit with a little brush (with brittle fine but firm), wipe again, let dry, remove the plastic. I'm usually good for half a year, until it's time for new ones.

I find that if I just loosen my strings (so they're all floppy) for 24 hrs and then tune them up it makes a significant difference to the sound. They definitely get their twang back. Of course I don't have sweaty hands which helps me keep my strings sounding good for longer.