Why become a member? ×

Boiling strings

wally8

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340791754' post='1709560']

Catheter hygiene is important.

Didn't think I'd be typing [i]that [/i]sentence today.
[/quote]

:D

I've tried boiling strings before and didn't notice a great deal of difference, I preferred wiping them down with meths instead. That said, that was back in the days when I cared enough to do it, the strings on my Jazz have been there for about 18 months or more, and my Precision only had new strings put on because I was refurbing it and thought 'Why the hell not?', they were only a tenner off the Marketplace here. Otherwise, I tend not to bother with new strings unless they break.

i did this for a short while throughout my high school days as my parents where tight as a (insert funny comment here).

I can support you on that they where cleaner. If i remember correctly, there was a nice greasy film on top and a brown merk to the water itself.
I don't think it added much back to the strings: technically they would have vibrated better than without but could have been my cheap as chips strings at the time.

I read a post not long ago on here from a guy who owned a '76 (jazz i think) and had the original strings on and still going strong.
If a process like this and a story like that really works, this could put a few businesses out of pocket :D

BSB

I soaked my Sunbeams in meths and it brought them back as-new! They'd gone past the point of sweet-spot worn-in warmth and were sounding a bit dead. Left overnight in an old dog bowl, curled up and soaked in meths, brought them back to the brand-new fresh out the packet clanky overly bright sound you hope will die down quickly! They didn't last as long the next time through, and after another month or so they became difficult to tune-a sure sign of string death.

It works, and is worth doing, but only to extend the life of the strings a bit.

Do not boil strings.

Use meths. You don't need a tube, just soak them in a bowl with the strings loosely wrapped around the perimeter and stand something in the middle to raise the level of the meths so they cover the strings, Leave for 24 hours and allow to drip dry. Works for me.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1341173918' post='1714773']
Is meths not Hygroscopic in that if you leave it open it attracts moisture so it would be not much better than boiling anyway.
[/quote]

Lid on the box. And it won't be 100% water like water is for a long while.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340119212' post='1699403']
IMO boiling string is a complete waste of time. I tried it once and the D string snapped when I put them back on. I couldn't hear any significant improvement in the others. Too much effort for too little gain.
[/quote]

+1

I don't even bother to try it any more.

Mind you, it didn't help when I tried it once and forgot I'd put the pan on and sat down watching the tele, and then wondered where the burning smell was coming from. Result was slightly over boiled (dry) Rotosounds.

Wife wasn't too happy as it ruined her pan. :lol: