Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.6, Surrey, Saturday 29th September 2012

Hamster

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1343307138' post='1748639']
Room for one more?
I live in darkest Surrey these days, well Sanderstead anyway, and so far it looks like I have the 29th of September free.

I can bring along a couple of ACG basses to show off, plus a few pedals and odds and sods.
I'm also going to be the proud owner of one of the prototype EAD Foundation 112 cabs very VERY soon, not soon enough of course.
I'll be able to bring it along for you guys to have a go if you fancy? :)

Eude
[/quote]

Sanderstead eh? I'm down the road in Selsdon. :)

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1343922891' post='1757415']
[/quote]

Probably more like along the road, we're between Purley Oaks and Sanderstead train stations...

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1343922891' post='1757415']
[/quote]

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1343923135' post='1757420']
Probably more like along the road, we're between Purley Oaks and Sanderstead train stations...
[/quote]

And I'm a little further down the road in Redhill... :)

You know what - I will try and be there for this - I just fancy hanging out with some bass nerds... :) like me - I don't want to do any workshops but if anyone wants to talk technique, music or jounralism for that matter then I'd be very happy to - jazzy jamming is also good!

Hope that sounds cool

Mike

[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1343994706' post='1758342']
[i]i've never been to one of these. Do you just turn up on the day and make donations or do you need to book? Not sure that i have anything worth bringing along but would like to come[/i]

[i]jeff[/i]
[/quote]

I would also love to know more. My intention would be to attend but mostly spectate. I've got a couple of items that could go in the raffle, and I could probably bring my NXT 5 if any other lefty is going to attend and would like to have a look at it.

[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1343994706' post='1758342']
[i]i've never been to one of these. Do you just turn up on the day and make donations or do you need to book? Not sure that i have anything worth bringing along but would like to come[/i]

[i]jeff[/i]
[/quote]

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1343995636' post='1758373']
I would also love to know more. My intention would be to attend but mostly spectate. I've got a couple of items that could go in the raffle, and I could probably bring my NXT 5 if any other lefty is going to attend and would like to have a look at it.
[/quote]

I totally recommend it. It's a very friendly get-together and great to meet up with fellow bassists and play or just chat.
I've got a gig in Stevenage for that same evening, but as the bass bash is a daytime thing, I'll probably go off to the gig from there. Just means I may not have as much stuff with me as previously. (Not that there won't be plenty of other goodies there! :) )

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1343995019' post='1758356']
You know what - I will try and be there for this - I just fancy hanging out with some bass nerds... :) like me - I don't want to do any workshops but if anyone wants to talk technique, music or jounralism for that matter then I'd be very happy to - jazzy jamming is also good!

Hope that sounds cool

Mike
[/quote]

Sounds like a plan, Mike. :)

For the benefit of those who haven't been before, the SE BassBash is held in a school. There's loads of free parking.

The main foyer area is used for:[list]
[*]making your donation to the running costs of the event (a fiver each, as I recall), [b](£10 actually!!)[/b]
[*]provision of refreshments (Mrs. Hamster does a nice line in cakes & biscuits),
[*]a "quiet room" where no one is allowed to slap (ever, at all, not a bit, banned, enforced with extreme prejudice),
[*]a "sale room" where you can lay out anything you fancy offering, [b](More like a sale area)[/b]
[*]a teaching space for workshops on various subjects,
[*]a venue for the holding of the Raffle at the end of proceedings.
[/list]
The school has a large hall, and a separate theatre.

Usually the theatre is where people set up their kit if they have brought some. Typically, there will be over a dozen rigs and maybe 40 or 50 basses to play through them. Volume levels can get fairly high but are rarely outrageous. Except when people slap.

The hall can be used for really loud demonstrations of specific rigs and basses. And slapping.

At the end of a corridor, and away from the other three spaces, there's usually a jam room with a band's worth of gear and a real drummer with a real drumkit. There's no real volume restriction, and the space is there to be used for anything you fancy. Even slapping.

Turn-out over the last few years has been maybe 50 or so Basschatters at each event, but the venue is way large enough to take double that number and then some, so there's no restriction at all on how many turn up.

It's a face-to-face event that's every bit as friendly as Basschat itself. No surpise there then.

Edited by Hamster
Clarification in BOLD type

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1344164010' post='1760507']
For the benefit of those who haven't been before, the SE BassBash is held in a school. There's loads of free parking.

[*]making your donation to the running costs of the event (a fiver each, as I recall),
[*]provision of refreshments (Mrs. Hamster does a nice line in cakes & biscuits),
[*]a "quiet room" where no one is allowed to slap (ever, at all, not a bit, banned, enforced with extreme prejudice),
[*]a "sale room" where you can lay out anything you fancy offering,
[/list]

Usually the theatre is where people set up their kit if they have brought some. Typically, there will be over a dozen rigs and maybe 40 or 50 basses to play through them. Volume levels can get fairly high but are rarely outrageous. Except when people slap.

The hall can be used for really loud demonstrations of specific rigs and basses. And slapping.

At the end of a corridor, and away from the other three spaces, there's usually a jam room with a band's worth of gear and a real drummer with a real drumkit. There's no real volume restriction, and the space is there to be used for anything you fancy. Even slapping.

Turn-out over the last few years has been maybe 50 or so Basschatters at each event, but the venue is way large enough to take double that number and then some, so there's no restriction at all on how many turn up.

It's a face-to-face event that's every bit as friendly as Basschat itself. No surpise there then.
[/quote]

Yep - what he said...! :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1344164010' post='1760507']

[*]making your donation to the running costs of the event (a fiver each, as I recall),
[*]a "sale room" where you can lay out anything you fancy offering,
[/list]

[/quote]

Can confirm all of the above...a chance to put faces to usernames..

Great place to learn to slap too ;) ;)

Oh dont worry, you wont even realise its happened until your next gig, first track, you'll be there expecting some classy fingerstyle, when all of a sudden your thumb will take complete control and you'll find yourself doing a passable impression of Mark King....

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1344288184' post='1762403']
Oh dont worry, you wont even realise its happened until your next gig, first track, you'll be there expecting some classy fingerstyle, when all of a sudden your thumb will take complete control and you'll find yourself doing a passable impression of Mark King....
[/quote]

What!? I loose my hair and shrink by 3 feet?! You, Sir, can keep your slapping!