Why become a member? ×

You are a real musician when...

Silvia Bluejay

When you find yourself talking to your instrument.

Lately I've noticed myself saying 'in you go!' or 'out you come!' to the Fender when putting it in and taking it out of the gig bag. :o
Though I'm not sure if that's the sign of being a real musician or a really mad old spinster :ph34r:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1339609440' post='1691485']
When you find yourself talking to your instrument.

Lately I've noticed myself saying 'in you go!' or 'out you come!' to the Fender when putting it in and taking it out of the gig bag. :o
Though I'm not sure if that's the sign of being a real musician or a really mad old spinster :ph34r:
[/quote]

LOOOL - but you're not a spinster, you're closer to being a divorcee ;)

I don't talk to my instruments (yet!) but I've given names to some of them... :o I suppose I'm in good company though - IIRC a number of you guys name their basses too, and obviously so do/did some big names in music. So it's all right, is it? IS IT??? :ph34r:

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1339607450' post='1691438']
When you're looking at changing cars the first thing you think of is fitting all the gear in.
[/quote]
Glad I'm not the only one who does that!
Toyota Aygo=no SVT!

When you're lying in the park and you think " Wow , that dove is cooing in 7/4 ! " and you start making up basslines to it in your head .

or .....

When you're clearing up the half-empty glasses after a party and you end up arranging them on the kitchen table to make a scale .

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1339598913' post='1691225']
Or operate anything touchscreen/touchpad for the same reason. :(
[/quote]

You might be on to something there. I always attributed my issues with touch sensitive devices to low resistance caused by my sweaty mitts.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1339591104' post='1691017'][b][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]at the first glimpse of a ray of sunshine, rush to music corner and make sure the curtain is drawn and the gear is in the shade.[/font][/size][/b][/quote]

Aargh! No musician then. My curtains are always closed, unless I'm having visitors, and then I'll move the basses before opening the curtains.
Yes, I'm lonely. :)

What a lovely thread BTW, and what great answers up to now!

Being dead serious for one second, for me being a classical musician is about wishing to convey the greatness of the composer by playing yet another way of "looking" at the composition, never about wishing to convey the greatness of oneself (I'd guess that this changes somewhat in popular music, as I gather the audience becomes more in focus, and the composer less).

This "composer's greatness" thing is why I have a tendency to love classical organists and dislike classical pianists.
A psychologist once told me that it's not coincidence that a pianist moves a lot and thrives at the front of the stage while the organist is hidden on the gallery, behind the part of the organ we call the positive, and keeps his body rather still most of the time.
The old concierge (caretaker?) at my college could recognise what instrument people played by just looking at their general appearance and body language. Really fascinating. He disliked many pianists too, BTW.