Why become a member? ×

Strange band situation not sure how to react

Chrismanbass

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1339491078' post='1689066']
I think this too. I'm sure the OP is not an unreliable person but more than once I have seen second best musicians taken on because they can commit and the better couldn't - because they were good and in too much demand!
[/quote]

Very true.

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1339439366' post='1688538']
... one of the function bands i'm in ...

[/quote]

Late to the thread, I'm afraid, but IMHO this phrase is probably the root of the issue. It would be if I was running that band, anyway.

I wonder if your dep said something to them which implied that he was looking for a single-band situation.

I've joined bands on one premise then the band leader has changed goal posts. This results in all sorts of changes in line up.

The classic is where you join a band who only want to gig once a month. You say fine, I want to gig a few times a month so join another band. The first band then suddenly take off and the band leader sees money to be made. Two or three of the others say that they don't want to gig that much and disappear while your commitment is questioned because you are not able to commit to more than the one gig promised.

Ideally your comeback is if the band can guarantee additional gigs on a regular basis then they become first priority and you'll get a dep for the other band if gigs clash.

Ah, welcome to the world of band politics .
There is more cloak and dagger stuff in bands than the CIA and KGB combined.
Open talking helps , but being in a band can be a bit like being in a dysfunctional relationship, you never know what surprise lurks around the corner.

[quote name='P-T-P' timestamp='1339671502' post='1692319']
Easy solution.

Hand them your personal date sheet and say, "Fill this with gigs and I'll happily be a one band man."
[/quote]

It doesn't matter how many gigs someone is offering I'll never strap a bass drum to my back and learn harmonica!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1339440495' post='1688562']
i very much doubt that the person who gave them the new gigs on the back of their street party gig insisted that they keep the exact same line up

sounds to an old cynic like me that they are not happy with you playing in more than one band - i'd let them know politely but firmly exactly what i thought of their passive-aggressive schtick
[/quote]would the punter even recognise it was a different bass player - unless the dep was behaving like the "drummer at the wrong gig"!?

just an update really spoken to my friend who was the dep in question and he's told them in no uncertain terms that he's not doing the gig unless i can't do it, also found out that the guitarist and keys player would have to find deps anyway seems like a little power trip by the singer to me, and in answer to your question woody yes she is however she has worked her way around a few guys in my year at uni so if you'd be so kind as to pass me my barge pole. :D

The "we'll use the dep on the xx gig" thing has also happened to me. I told them I wasn't happy but there's not a lot you can do. People running bands generally like to be in charge. When you’re doing another gig they don’t feel so “in control”. Maybe this is a little immature “payback”?

One band leader even tried to run the band with 2 bass players (not on the same gig!). I left that one pretty quickly.

The bottom line is that everyone should know about, and accept, the fact that the other band exists and everyone has plenty of notice of depping. After that you're at the mercy of whoever's running the band!

You have to decide if the money is worth staying for, even with a dent in your pride. I can put up with a lot if the dosh is there.

I've been in 4 bands with female singers and in 3 of them they were "the star". Sadly all 3 were more trouble than they were worth.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1339713354' post='1693361']
Sadly all 3 were more trouble than they were worth.[/quote]

It's generally the case whether they're in a band or not! :lol:
(Looks around nervously to see if seashell or bluejay are here) :unsure:

I think the main thing is to be honest and friendly. I get lots of my gigs depped and as long as everyone is in the loop this shouldn't be a problem.

Just recently our regular drummer has got a dep to fill in for him and he has made a real mistake as the deep is the most amazing drummer I have ever played with. Both are pro drum teachers so both pretty handy but this guy is something truly special. However, even though this is a bit tempting to get this chap in full time, it is simply not the thing to do. Could this have happened to you?

Not the end of the world if you have other avenues to explore.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1339759954' post='1693829']
it is simply not the thing to do. Could this have happened to you?

[/quote]

yeh i've been on the wrong end of that before needing an emergency dep due to my grandparents being burgled who then took the gig from me
bit rubbish but the artist got dropped by her management 3 weeks later (karmas a bitch)

i think the problem maybe lies in the people i get to dep for me as they're all good players as i don't think its fair on the band to put someone in that isn't as good as i am maybe i should start using slightly worse players?

in terms of running a band with 2 bass players i do a function band at the moment with 4 of us rotating depending on each others schedules all of us know the set inside out and have gigged with the band before and its not a problem

I think it is best to be relaxed about these things.

If the singer is trying to replace you, what good will it do to put off the inevitable?

There are many bands and they change their line up all the time, good players will always be in demand and get in bands.

Myself? In 3 at the moment and operate a first come first served basis for gigs, gigs trump rehearsals and rehearsals are managed depending on work commitments.

If there is a clash then I find a dep to cover and give them all my materials. If they get the gig then so be it, who wants to be in a band like that anyway? My dep is also miles better than me but that is the way it should be!

I guess every "band" thinks their band is more important than the others and can get a bit selfish to a certain degree.

Band politics takes a fair bit of getting used to and one of the reasons i stopped playing in bands many yrs ago and only restarted last year.
Even my current band have had a few moments where members wanted to play in other bands to make money. I personally don't have any issue with that because quite simply bands are a hobby to me and my own job would take priority over band when it comes down to it.

I think an up front, honest and balanced approach might work. Clear the air and find out exactly what the other members are looking for and what they expect from you and if it doesn't fit with either yourself or the band then move on and enjoy doing what you do best and play with the other bands you are part of. I wouldn't get overly worked up about it. You seem to have various other options open to you which by the sound of it pay more money if that's the reason you are playing bass.

Personally money isn't really why i do it but each to their own. Its a release from the stresses of my day job and i just enjoy the fun of it. If it gets too serious and i see a return to the in-fighting and bitching of my younger days i will simply walk away and look for something else. It quite simply isn't worth the hassle IMO.

Good luck with whatever comes out of it and hope it works out the way YOU want it to.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[sub]From what I've read, this is ridiculous. Is the band full of people that have a day job and play musicians at weekend, or are they going to treat it as a pro band? If it's the latter, the ONLY way it can work is to have deps. People will never be able to make all the gigs hence that will lead to revenue loss for other members of the band. Understandably, these people will be pretty peeved if they lose money through lack of personel availability... hence the reason we dep. I play with different people all the time and actually enjoy it as it's great meeting new players on the gig. If the players are good enough, they'll be able to drop in no problem. When you say, play as per the record, any pro will do so... and hence they can just drop in. This is of course different if you are going to start introducing your own twists, melodies etc on songs - but generally, you can drop in deps and get the job done well with minimal, if any, rehearsing.[/sub]

Even later to this thread.

Sorry but I have a totally different view point. I'm a one band guy and that band has total priority. I have played with other bands for fun but strictly on the understanding that if my band gets a gig on the same date then that's the gig I'm doing. I really can't see how you can commit to more than one band at a time. Perhaps it's me.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1340061196' post='1698667']
Even later to this thread.

Sorry but I have a totally different view point. I'm a one band guy and that band has total priority. I have played with other bands for fun but strictly on the understanding that if my band gets a gig on the same date then that's the gig I'm doing. I really can't see how you can commit to more than one band at a time. Perhaps it's me.
[/quote]

with multiple band situations I work on a first come first served basis.
I think it would be very bad form to cancel a previous commitment just because later on I got an offer with my "preferred" band. If you do that with me, you will not be playing long with me because the number one quality I look for is reliability. If I say I will do X gig, then I will do it even if I get a better offer elsewhere.

Being in multiple bands, successfully, I think depends on how busy those bands are, and whether or not deps can be used and are easily available. But you cannot back out of a previous commitment just because you found something you like better. Unless it's one of those situations where you can provide a dep without causing disruption to the other band members.