Why become a member? ×

What Guitar Should I Buy for this Budget?

Schnozzalee

I'd echo what EH says about having a custom guitar made.
A guitarist friend of mine has a PRS. I don't know the model name, but it's a type of 'slimline' semi-acoustic. While it's good, I wouldn't say it's 'that good'. He thinks the same.

I'm probably going for something HSS or Humbuckers with a Coil Tap, alternatively i'm open to P90s because it'll give me the grunt if I need it but some articulation. It's a really difficult one i'm afraid, I like blues, classic rock & 80's metal. I don't think PRS have much character about them personally but i've never played, only listened.

I suppose you'd need to consider what style of music you're playing although some guitars will do pretty much anything nowdays. If I was into blues/rock for example, I would probably go for a humbuckered Strat or a maybe a Les Paul if the weight were not an issue. If it's jazz, then maybe a 175 or something like that.

Maybe an Ibanez or an 80's Kramer Baretta if I were into something heavier. PRS are great of course but for me, not different enough to justify the cost.

If I could only have one that would probably do anything (and the looks didn't bother you) I'd have a Parker Fly. Great guitars, great sound and unbelieveably light. Had one a few years ago and regret selling it.

Good luck with whatever you buy, sounds like it'll be fun looking and trying with that sort of budget. At least they won't ignore you in the shop ;)

A good friend of mine has been through a string of guitars & always has at least 15 hanging on the wall of his home studio. He has a few PRS's but his favourites for the past couple of years have been the Suhr Guthrie Govan models.

I've heard these playing funky Nile Rodgers type stuff through to very heavy rock and they seem to sound great in any situation :)

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1339338848' post='1687022']
I'm probably going for something HSS or Humbuckers with a Coil Tap, alternatively i'm open to P90s because it'll give me the grunt if I need it but some articulation. It's a really difficult one i'm afraid, I like blues, classic rock & 80's metal. I don't think PRS have much character about them personally but i've never played, only listened.
[/quote]Which is why, if I were you, I'd go for two :D There is no one-size fits all in the world of guitars. You should be able to pick up two great guitars for a grand each and, having owned a PRS in the past, there's no way on Earth I'd spend two grand on one (or a Gibson for that matter).

If I were in your position, I'd look pick up a couple of Japanese made beauties, something like an early 80's Yamaha SG and a Bacchus strat. Tokai's Japanese 335 style guitars are very nice too. That would comfortably cover all the sonic ground you'd want to.

Something like this - I have something similar, amazing guitars
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bacchus-G-PLAYER-ALD-M-3TS-/370546493836?pt=Guitar&hash=item56464ac98c

And you should comfortably find an SG1000 or SG2000 with the change :)

Edited by Doctor J

I had this conversation a couple of nights ago with our guitarist, while we watched a guy playing a PRS in a local band. I know of a couple of local players who own them, and I've seen plenty of bands using them, and with the exception of Alex Lifeson, I'm yet to hear one I like. Don't get me wrong, build quality is fantastic from what I've seen, but they're just so[i] sterile[/i] sounding. When the guy I was watching the other night put the PRS down and picked his bog standard Strat up, the band's sound was transformed instantly.

PRS, Tyler, Suhr...etc....etc.....[i]pah[/i]

[i]To me[/i], if I had a couple of grand, I'd be looking at a Gibson 335, but pay close attention to build, I've seen some rubbish Gibsons recently. OR, I'd be looking at a nice Strat or 52RI Tele, then put the rest of the cash away for a rainy day.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1339338848' post='1687022']
[/quote]Musicman Steve Morse.

I always liked Anderson Guitars myself, the P90 equipped hollow Cobra, mmmm nice.

I think I like the look and prestige of PRS more than the sound, which has never really impressed me that much. Plus, the standard wraparound bridge is just daft if you think about the lack of adjustability.

Humbuckers are a little compressed sounding to me, I'm moving towards single coils and P90's these days. I'd have thought a USA Fender will hold it's value more than a cutom made guitar. There's a bunch of Telebration guitars celebrating the designs birthday, I'd have thought they'd be good players and a decent investment.

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/fenders-2011-telebration-anniversary-telecasters-359163/1"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/fenders-2011-telebration-anniversary-telecasters-359163/1[/url]

Personally, I'm moving gear around to fund a Gordon Smith. Specced to taste, a GS2.0 with 2 P90's and a tunamatic bridge will set you back £700. That's if you can stomach the 12-14 week wait time.

For the spec and music mentioned, I`d look at either Strats, or Gordon Smith Guitars. Strats are well known, and can do so much. Gordon Smith are less well known, but are incredible guitars. Plus, with these, you can get pickups to suit.

http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1339344846' post='1687140']
I think I like the look and prestige of PRS more than the sound, which has never really impressed me that much. Plus, the standard wraparound bridge is just daft if you think about the lack of adjustability.

Humbuckers are a little compressed sounding to me, I'm moving towards single coils and P90's these days. I'd have thought a USA Fender will hold it's value more than a cutom made guitar. There's a bunch of Telebration guitars celebrating the designs birthday, I'd have thought they'd be good players and a decent investment.

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/fenders-2011-telebration-anniversary-telecasters-359163/1"]http://www.musicrada...asters-359163/1[/url]

Personally, I'm moving gear around to fund a Gordon Smith. Specced to taste, a GS2.0 with 2 P90's and a tunamatic bridge will set you back £700. That's if you can stomach the 12-14 week wait time.
[/quote]

I was about to suggest a Gordon Smith, though I was thinking of a Graduate. You can pick them up stock, but whether you'd find one with the specs you'd like is another matter.

I have a PRS owning friend who described them as "Old man's guitars". Al the ones I've seen and played are very nice - I haven't yet come across a duff one - but none of them have that special something that will make them 'my guitar' as opposed to Paul Reed Smiths guitar.

I'd just go out and try as many different guitars as you can get your hands on. For the kind of money you are looking to spend you should be able to get two instruments that will cover most of the sounds you'll want. I'd be looking at something strat-ish in either HSS or HSH configuration with coil taps and a trem system, plus something Les-Paul(junior?)-ish with P90s.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1339340303' post='1687055']
Which is why, if I were you, I'd go for two :D There is no one-size fits all in the world of guitars. You should be able to pick up two great guitars for a grand each and, having owned a PRS in the past, there's no way on Earth I'd spend two grand on one (or a Gibson for that matter).

If I were in your position, I'd look pick up a couple of Japanese made beauties, something like an early 80's Yamaha SG and a Bacchus strat. Tokai's Japanese 335 style guitars are very nice too. That would comfortably cover all the sonic ground you'd want to.

Something like this - I have something similar, amazing guitars
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bacchus-G-PLAYER-ALD-M-3TS-/370546493836?pt=Guitar&hash=item56464ac98c"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item56464ac98c[/url]

And you should comfortably find an SG1000 or SG2000 with the change :)
[/quote]

Great advice there Schnozzalee.... but rather than a Bacchus stat maybe you could find a Fender American Vintage Series '57 Reissue stat (I hear 2011 is a good vintage) and then track down a Yam SG.......

:D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339348582' post='1687223']
Great advice there Schnozzalee.... but rather than a Bacchus stat maybe you could find a Fender American Vintage Series '57 Reissue stat (I hear 2011 is a good vintage) and then track down a Yam SG.......

[/quote]He's looking for a [i]good[/i] guitar, though, not a Fender :lol: :ph34r:

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1339340045' post='1687048']
A good friend of mine has been through a string of guitars & always has at least 15 hanging on the wall of his home studio. He has a few PRS's but his favourites for the past couple of years have been the Suhr Guthrie Govan models.

I've heard these playing funky Nile Rodgers type stuff through to very heavy rock and they seem to sound great in any situation :)

[/quote]

or almost identical appearance [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page12.php?area_id=3&data_id=270&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=1&series_id=75"]Ibanez S series[/url]

or if you can find an old fgm100 going cheap - amazing sound from the stock Ibanez F1 and F2 pups but hideous colours - body colour could be easily addressed but unfortunately they had a sharktooth shaped fret inlay marker in the body colour - they do sadly look very dated and somewhat tacky but if you see one dont pass it by without picking it up and having a go as they are a world away from JEMS and the like and imho much more versatile

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339348582' post='1687223']

[/quote]

Hahaha I like this, cheers Luke...I was sinking in my chair a bit when I read all the strat recommendations - maybe a mid boost custom shop??

I like the P90's idea BUT i've never tried them ever so it's risky - they sound great on Youtube.

I definitely think the PRS's look cracking but they do lack something and I think the same for Suhr although they are a little bit out of range.

I'm slowly slinking back to the idea of a HSS Custom Charvel but the ES-335 idea is turning my head a little although i'm keen on the Heritage copies for QC reasons.

Anybody tried or heard a Fano at all?? :huh:

Get down to a big big guitarshop that you can play everything there. Obviously I'd say Andertons but there are loads of others like GuitarGuitar that maybe nearer. And just play as many guitars as you can lay hands on and something will choose you.

Also at risk of offending the entire forum id take the opinions of bassists with a pinch of salt. There is such a cultural gulf between guitarists and bassists and bassists have a lot of stigmas about things that they can't really claim to understand from a guitarists perspective. Not saying that's the case of any advice given here but I'd give more weight to what guitarist buddies might tell you.

(please no one flame grill me I love you all really!)