Why become a member? ×

smell my fingers

whenever I've been playing my stratacoustic guitar or tanglewood acoustic bass my fingers get an unpleasant metallic smell which I don't get with any other basses/guitars. Is just me or is that normal? Are there any acoustic strings tht don't do that?

I'll probably put electric strings on the stratacoustic when I next change them, so that's not a problem.

I use Thomastik AB344 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Bass Strings on tanglewood. I use flats on all of my other basses (Thomastics if possible) has anyone used Thomastic jazz flats on an acoustic?

Any other recommendations? How about those LaBella black nylon wrapped strings - anyone used those on an acoustic.

I'm not too fussed about volume as long as its audible at home playing along to MP3s - for gigs & even quiet acoustic rehearsals it needs to go through an amp already.

This has to be the most disturbing thread title I've seen for a long time... :blink: :lol:

Phosphor Bronze strings have always given my fingers a metallic smell, I just ignore it.

One thing I'd never recommend though is restringing an acoustic guitar with electric guitar strings - they sound absolutely horrid and rattle more than a nuns knees at an Iron Maiden concert.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1338643763' post='1677551']
When the strings get old on my Ovation acoustic bass they make my fingers smell like pickled onion Monster Munch.
[/quote]

thats bizarre ... i had a packet of pickled onion monster munch at the back of the cupboard that were waaaay past their sell by date so i opened them up to give them the sniff test and they smelt like a set of old guitar strings

:gas: :crazy:

smelly fingers Ive been playing my acoutic a lot and get black green smelly fingers,thought it was just me,you can see the area on the neck I use nice clean frets up to no 5,then black up the sound hole. :blink: best get some new strings... :(

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1338638446' post='1677468']...How about those LaBella black nylon wrapped strings - anyone used those on an acoustic...
[/quote]

Good afternoon, J-L...

Not quite, but nearly. I use RotoSound TruBass RS88 black nylon-coated strings on my Höfner Verithin bass. Not quite LaBella, and not quite an acoustic, but close enough to say that, if you're not looking to play slap, they'll do the job just fine, imho. Extra bonus: they are good straight from the box, and stay that way for (literally...) years. Sustained attack from a hard pick will eventually do them some damage; I play finger style, so no problem there for me.
Hope this helps...