Why become a member? ×

Stompbox anyone?

Len_derby

I've got a Johnson. J Station that is. I've had it a while but not got around to using it until recently. I'm loving it so far.

Theyre quite cheap if you see them on ebay, and although the forums haven't been used for a couple of years, there are still plenty of patches available for download.

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a Tanglewood TW55N-NS(roughly 8 year old Jumbo acoustic, slightly older version of this http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/acoustic/sundance/03_superjumbo/TW55NSE.html ) off Gumtree, and I think the electrics may have had it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anything that'd fit in the same preamp mount. Seen you can still buy P4's from Thomann but they're £80 so I'm leaving that as a last resort as that seems an awful lot of money compared to what I paid for the guitar. I've seen a few mentions of Shadow P4's online, and none of them seem favourable, so I figure if replacement is the plan I may as well get something decent.

The fault itself is an intermittent crackling from the guitar when plugged in, and oddly only when I'm playing standing up which leads me to think a dodgy connection between battery and preamp may be to blame. This being the case I'm tempted to take it to KGB on the Wirral and see if they can sort it, should be cheaper then a new preamp if it is indeed just a connection issue.

Anyone got any thoughts?
[attachment=126860:S1050333.JPG]

Excellent! That turned out better than you expected, then... B)

My wife has a '45' (the smaller body type).
Many people who've played it - wanted to buy it (she would never part with it), or get one like it .

If it plays and sounds like the '45', with added oomph from the jumbo body - then you just bought my dream acoustic. :D

Thanks!
It's an absolutely beautiful guitar, a mate of mine has a 45 too and it's lovely, but you do notice the bigger body on the 55! :D[size=4] [/size]

I think I might replace the preamp anyway though, apparently they only made them with P4's for a year before swapping to B-Band because the P4's didn't sound great plugged in, tried it at an open mic last night and it sounded pretty tinny for what would have been a £600 guitar.

I reckon the P4 sounds much better than any B- Band I've tried....

I'd love a lefty for myself, but all the '45's I've tried were B-Band equipped and were a real disappointment compared - harsh and nasal imho.
Have you explored the P4 EQ settings to suit your taste?

I'd definitely try a B-Band equipped Tanglewood before buying anything...

I wonder if the pickup itself and not the preamp could be the problem then..? Overall the guitar sounds very tinny when plugged in with little low end or mids. Best sound I managed to get out of it was with both the treble EQ sliders turned all the way down and the bass and mids boosted... I've got a Harley Benton guitar somewhere that I prefer the sound of, tempted to swap the pickups over as both just plug into the preamp via the same size mini jack, with any luck they're the same thickness so it won't mess up the actions... be interesting to compare! B)[size=4] [/size]

• 1 month later...

Everywhere I look I can find 5m or 10m or 25m lengths but not a simple 1m cable.
Where can I buy a simple 1m 1/4" jack to speakon cable?
I suppose I could make my own but I just can't be arsed.

Edited by Twigman

• 1 month later...

In my experience, a POD 2.0 into a bass set up doesn't work so well. In isolation (ie at home) the sound was good enough, but in a live context there wasn't any throw...it sounded very tame. Maybe due to the cabinetry. My little Spider IV sounded way better/louder than a POD through a very large Ashdown/Hartke stack.
P

Have played a bass through a POD XT Pro and then the PA quite a lot, but not through a bass amp.

A couple of things to note, though -

1. Set the bass amp EQ flat and neutral and use the POD for tone shaping otherwise you'll have too many EQ settings to fiddle with.

2. Sounds that you create on the POD at low volumes do NOT work well at gig levels. Create the POD sounds at the volume you expect to be playing with for best results.

3. Don't "overdo" the POD settings just because they are there. The simple sounds are usually the most effective ones.

4. Try switching off "speaker cab simulation" on the POD otherwise you'll be playing with speaker "colouration" on the POD and then more speaker colouration from the speaker in the bass amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was using a Marshall JCM800 Super Bass with a POD XT Live for guitar,.. running into standard Marshall 4x12. My first choice was for a bass amp as had used JMP super bass amps in the past - preferred the more mellow, cleaner sound when using a lot of pedals.

The Marshall definitely warmed things up very nicely, but when using patches with full modelling (esp. noticed when moved to POD HD500),.. there were a lot of EQ conflicts. The JCM has a tone stack which is very unlike the earlier JMPs - Mid Parametric type control. I tried the POD with a JMP super bass clone that I'd built and to my surprise it wasn't happy at all,.. too much gain in the JMP clone (even after swapping the pre amp valves for lower gain versions)

so my 2p - I prefer my POD going into a very bland amplifier,.... try it into the FX return (I now run mine into a Marshall 50+50 power amp and it is superb). Guitar + OD type pedals (tube screamer , booster etc.) into a bass amp like the JCM/JMP Marshalls,.. superb ,.. as long as you drive them pretty hard.