Why become a member? ×

Stompbox anyone?

Len_derby

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1348510918' post='1814603']
I too had a powerbrake (flogged it here on BC a couple of years ago). Chunky item.

Thing I found was that it was good at the top two or three notches for shaving a [i]bit[/i] of volume off. But the quieter one went after that, the tizzier it seemed to get. In the end, I went out and bought a 15 watter and put the Marshall at the back of the cupboard.
[/quote]

I think all guitarists with 50w valve amps and above should think about that :)

Got chatting to the guitarist last night and he's really happy (even more happy when I pointed out some of the other possibilities with the amp that he hadn't yet considered, MIDI etc.)

However, he agrees it's probably going to deafen us, and actually cares about it. Weird for a guitarist eh?

Anyway we got looking at these HOTPLATES etc, but the overruling factor at this point in time is cost. Unfortunately in order to buy this amp he's traded in a lot of his gear to be able to afford it (2nd hand) and won't be able to afford something as nice as a hotplate for a while.

Are there any cheaper alternatives? He mentioned he read somewhere about dummy loads. Would that do the same job? I think this was the article.. [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/apr94/dummyload.html"]http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/apr94/dummyload.html[/url]

Thanks to everyone for their help so far, I'll be getting Mr Guitar to sign up to guitarchat as soon as it's live :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1348594363' post='1815745']
Turns out he typed wrong, its a peavey 4x10 bass cab
[/quote]

Brook no delay - [i]now[/i] is the time to pounce upon this territorial incursion.

Throw the Fitzmaurice 'horizontally aligned drivers dispersion nastiness' thing in your guitarist's path and watch his head melt.

Edited by skankdelvar

Haha, you're going to get your head blown off! I've been playing guitar in a gigging band for the first time in ages this year and had to throw a guitar rig together. I'm using a 70's Carlsbro 50 Top head and an Orange 2x12. I've only had the cab a month or two but already wish I'd bought the smaller one, it's absurd how loud it is. I can barely tickle the bottom end of the range on my volume knob before it's too much for the function gigs we're playing.

Obviously you guys are looking for more volume than my current situation requires (oh, for a chance to crank mine up like that!) but he's going to move a lot of air with a 4x10 behind him, not going to do you any favours for controlling your stage sound!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1348639600' post='1816203']
Ironically I remembered last night that in a previous band a guitarist I worked with used a Marshall amp through a peavey 4x10 bass cab and it was the best sound I had ever had from a guitarist so I'm getting pretty excited now :lol:
[/quote]

Until he asks you to lift it. The Peavy 4 by 10 I used to use was heavier than my car.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1348606096' post='1815997']
Haha, you're going to get your head blown off! I've been playing guitar in a gigging band for the first time in ages this year and had to throw a guitar rig together. I'm using a 70's Carlsbro 50 Top head and an Orange 2x12. I've only had the cab a month or two but already wish I'd bought the smaller one, it's absurd how loud it is. I can barely tickle the bottom end of the range on my volume knob before it's too much for the function gigs we're playing. [/quote]

That's a function of that amp - they just create a HUGE perceived volume, whatever the theoretical output is. I had a 50 Top for a short while and just had no use for it at all (came as part of a deal) because until it hit ear-bleeding levels it sounded stiff and dry, even through a 1X12 Celestion Gold. I'm pretty sure they are really just PA amps with a single channel.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1348652724' post='1816372']

That's a function of that amp - they just create a HUGE perceived volume, whatever the theoretical output is. I had a 50 Top for a short while and just had no use for it at all (came as part of a deal) because until it hit ear-bleeding levels it sounded stiff and dry, even through a 1X12 Celestion Gold. I'm pretty sure they are really just PA amps with a single channel.
[/quote]

I wasn't totally sold on mine at first but between a great service and spruce-up from my amp tech and getting the Orange in the mix it's really come to life. Love that bit of grit and breakup on input 1 but find I need to use input 2 for my clean sounds with current gig.

Dying to get the chance to really wind it up and see what it is capable of. I'm using my brother's Yamaha SA2000S at the moment, which definitely helps with the tone!

I use a Fdeck HPF (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fdecks-hpf-865291/) in front of my DB and my Ubass. It makes everything sound better than all the rest I've tried. I have tried LOADS of stuff and the HPF beats them all, for me. It does not do gain or a DI, but a DI box is cheap. People talk all sorts of stuff about one DI being better than another. Once your signal is buffered properly then a cheap and cheerful DI will do the job nicely. Of course, if you are recording at SARM West and Donald Fagan is employing you, then there are certainly other options.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1349175884' post='1822706']
Doesn't everyone use a DB?

The HPF buffers my Piezos on my yn pre-amped guitar as well.
[/quote]

if the room is tricky or the FOH EQ isn't up to scratch, it's nice to have a para EQ and a notch filter, too.

Sorry to all you lovely db'ers but I meant acoustic guitar. I am playing a martin dc1xe with a Fishman pre in the guitar. Do cheap di's do the same as more expensive ones? At the minute I can't afford to buy a Phil Jones acoustic amp, which has a simple bass mid and treble control. But until then would a di be as good a purchase or buy a pre with the capability of a di, what are my options for those?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1349177550' post='1822741']
if the room is tricky or the FOH EQ isn't up to scratch, it's nice to have a para EQ and a notch filter, too.
[/quote]

Tru dat.

However, in the past I have used all sorts and needed to back of various frequencies etc etc. With the HPF it seems to be easier. There is a variable High Pass Filter (hence name) on it and a phase reverse and between these I have not really needed any extra control.

This is not to say that everything else mentioned so far is not a great piece of kit.

My band's acoustic guitarist is selling his Fishman acoustic preamp pedal but it doesn't have a DI so may not be what you are after. FWIW its here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184947-guitar-pedals-fs-fishman-acoustic-imaging-dreadnought-boss-digital-delay/page__p__1820711__hl__fishman__fromsearch__1#entry1820711"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184947-guitar-pedals-fs-fishman-acoustic-imaging-dreadnought-boss-digital-delay/page__p__1820711__hl__fishman__fromsearch__1#entry1820711[/url]