Why become a member? ×

Bass Tuner, what dya recomend?

Does it have to be a pedal type? This is smaller, easier to use and cheaper:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164034-planet-waves-mini-headstock-tuner/page__hl__mini%20headstock%20tuner"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164034-planet-waves-mini-headstock-tuner/page__hl__mini%20headstock%20tuner[/url]

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1337893110' post='1667180']
The TC polytune, Korg Pitchblack and Boss TU 3 seem to the the standard answers to this question. I'll leave others to fight it out as to which is best... :ph34r: :)
[/quote]

This.

Korg Pitchblack I think is the cheapest (I sold mine the other week for £45 including postage), and is actually my favourite as it's True Bypass, has the largest display... And its black! They all have a mute function though for silent tuning (or just muting if you need to be silent ;))

Ordered a Korg Pitch black a few days ago, still waiting for it to arrive. €58 on thomann but i was spending enough over all to get free shipping. There all really good though, ive used the korg and the boss pedal ones and ive never had a problem with either. Probably a question of which one you can pick up cheapest.

Got a TU3 at the moment, does everything I need it to, and it also has a 9v outlet which I use to power my EHX freeze - it miraculously cures the whining noise that appears when I'm using a daisy-chain PSU.

Win.

I used to use a Boss TU3, does what it's meant to do but it seemed pointless having that and a Zoom B2, if I wanted another tuner it would be another TU3.

For me that planet wavers tuner wouldn't work live, apart from the fact I'd still need a mute pedal, I don't think I'd be able to see it properly without the tuners getting in the way.

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1337902727' post='1667376']
I used to use a Boss TU3, does what it's meant to do but it seemed pointless having that and a Zoom B2, if I wanted another tuner it would be another TU3.
[/quote]

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1337926626' post='1667430']
Slight alternative take, I bought a Zoom b2 from forum, provides tuner with free effects thrown in, £45 ish if my memory serves me right.
[/quote]

To add to this, the reason I sold my Korg Pitchblack was because I now use the tuner on the Zoom B3 :)

TC polytune for me, i've used a tu-2 before and it was ok but it was a loan from a friend, went for the polytune on reccomendations from here (actually just asked for it as a christmas present from my darling wife), it's nice and solid and can be used for powering other pedals the same as the boss ones, i like the poly function where you simply strum all the strings to check them all at once, very handy as a quick check between songs that nothings slippped and it tracks the low B on my yamaha perfectly, it switches automatically between poly and single string as well which make life very easy.

Matt

I bought a Korg Pitchblack tuner to replace the Zoom B2.1u when I swapped over to pedals from the multi. I have to say mine doesn't work that quickly and often have to pick the string a few times to get a consistent reading, whereas the one in the Zoom worked a treat each time. On the plus side it is small and the display very clear.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1337978718' post='1668412']
I've used a Boss TU2 for years. It works.
[/quote]

+1

Mine got stolen and I bought a Danelectro one, but it didn't like low E, so I got another TU2 I've had it a long time with no problems.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1337939022' post='1667597']
I bought a Joyo chromatic tuner as a backup for less than £30 off amazon.. It's as accurate as the tuner in my RH450, true bypass and mutes....
[/quote]
These are the same as the Pitchblack apparently, which makes them even more of a bargain.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the market for a new tuner at the moment and a local guitar store has an ex-demo Boss TU-1000 for £80. It's a huge beast, but has anyone had any experience with them? The piece of crap Behringer tuner I've got at the moment really struggles with low tunings and it needs to go ASAP.

As i have an unhealthy obsession with Ashdown i got one of their Bassometer tuners. Its VERY precise and is techncally two tuners in one - the standard Ashdown UV meter acts as a tuner as well as a row of LED's. In the top right is a digital screen that tells you what note your playing. True bypass and i leave mine on once ive set up to act as a mute while my valves warm up until we play. Got mine off the bay for around £40. Some say the downside is the size of them - not a problem for me as i dont use a pedal board (or any other pedals for that matter)