Why become a member? ×

Classic line up of Status Quo to reform

PaulWarning

Any of the older Quo fans who liked only the original line up, should check out the Heavy Traffic album which is as good as any of the 70`s albums, which were written and recorded when Rossi and Parfitt were off their t*ts by their own admisson.

Jez

Originals sort of fan here, gritty, non matching cab stacks, Musicmaster bass etc, was exactly where I was at at the time.

Rockin' All Over the World was the end for me. Be great if they played the old rocker songs (Most of the Time, Big Fat Mama etc)

Edited by 4 Strings

I would love to see the old line up if they played with John Coghlan and Alan Lancaster. In the '90's I played in a Quo tribute band and gigged with Coghlan under the name of Coghlan's Quo, doing all the old toons, Big Fat Mamma, Most of the time , Roadhouse Blue and so on. Lovely guy and pulled in the diehard fans but was still bitter about the direction at Rossi and Parfitt had taken the band.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1337814334' post='1666051']

Is it wrong I want.

[/quote]

Not wrong enough, at any rate, so I ordered it right away. Had promised myself just yesterday to buy a new one (my present one is near deceased), and now you post THIS. Thanks for doing so!

55 quid is a lot cheaper than what I'd have to pay in a shop here (prolly 120 to 150 quid) PLUS I get to proudly wear that logo.

Boy, it's a long time since I bought the original "Pictures of Matchstick Men" single. I must be almost dying.

best,
bert

1967, at the ripe old age of 9, my first ever gig, Quo Darlington Civic. God knows how many times I've seen them.
Apart from all the Big Fat Mama's etc, Unspoken Words, Gerdundula, A Year has gone, Railroad, wonderful wonderful stuff.
Would be really great to see the original 5 again.
Karl.

"On the level" was the first LP I ever bought, pretty much wore it out.

Lancasters playing, I believe, reflected his general attitude in life, an aggressive no nonsense little bugger, not averse to the occasional snotting.....perfect! :-)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1337801033' post='1665757']
I think that was Marquerita Time - on one TOTP show they had Jimmy Lea of Slade as a stand-in. Apparently Rick was off his face on something & fell over the drum kit.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oChnHlBnpo[/media]
[/quote]
I'm happy to stand corrected, Marquerita time is even worse than living on an island, I have total respect for Alan Lancaster refusing to play such utter tripe

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1337842679' post='1666133']
1967, at the ripe old age of 9, my first ever gig, Quo Darlington Civic. God knows how many times I've seen them.
Apart from all the Big Fat Mama's etc, Unspoken Words, Gerdundula, A Year has gone, Railroad, wonderful wonderful stuff.
Would be really great to see the [b]original 5 again[/b].
Karl.
[/quote]

I can't see them getting Roy Lynes back at this stage ;)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1337849368' post='1666234']
I'm happy to stand corrected, Marguerita time is even worse than living on an island, I have total respect for Alan Lancaster refusing to play such utter tripe...
[/quote]

It's not exactly their finest hour, is it? :lol:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1337813315' post='1666034']
Great news. Hopefully Lancaster and Coghlan can pull it off. As entertaining as Quo still are in their current form, it's family-friendly cabaret compared to the early stuff.
[/quote]

I fully agree with your final comment, they are now just a cabaret act, almost a parody of their former selves.

• 2 weeks later...

[u]I [/u]heard an interview with AL on radio 2 a while back. He said all the lawyers kept on at him to sue etc etc and he really lost his way with it.
Rick loved Alan's mum (they used to all be mates) and Al lost his mum, and I think that's when they started talking again. (a bit like Weller and Foxton).
I commend quo for all that they have done, (I loved margharita time and all that pop stuff, it was just pop music) and I wish them all well for the future.
Quo are an enigma for me. Everyone (well the idiots in the pub) takes the piss out of them for their lack of ability etc, but I have NEVER seen a pub band cover a quo song well/properly. No one seems to understand the importance of Rick's rythmn guitar or open tunings.

Look forward to the tour and new album (last quo album I bought was in about 1988. Ain't complaining!)

Marguerita time was recorded by all 4 of Quo and it was actually meant to go on a Rossi solo album.
Lancaster freaked out bigtime when it appeared on a Quo album (Back to back). The reported comments
about facing his family are accurate. He married in 76 or 77 and went to live in Australia, refusing
to come back and promote RAOTW - hence the puppet in the video. He also apparently called a halt
to a partly planned tour at the same time. He hasn't missed an opportunity to bitch and snipe at Quo ever since.

It's good that they have healed their wounds before it's too late. Rossi has said it's 12 dates with the old line-up
and then Quo as they are now will continue. But he has qualified that by saying Quo haven't got long left to go.

Some other bands should take this reunion as an example of how to behave.