Why become a member? ×

drummer slowing down

ojplaysbass

Has anyone else had a drummer freak out on them?

I play regularly with a drummer friend of mine in a few different bands (a big band, a '50s tribute show and a function type outfit) and I've know him personally for about 15 years.

Over the last few weeks i've noticed that he's been slowing down during numbers (especially during upbeat numbers) and didn't know whether it was through bad practice, no practice or intentionally pulling the band back for effect.

it's worth noting at this point that when i notice him slowing down i try to push him with what i'm playing but he usually clean ignores me.

Knowing what a sensitive issue this sort of thing is with drummers, I spoke to him about it in the car on the way back from a rehearsal the other day (I didn't want it to seem like I was having a go at him in front of people/ peers/ colleagues). I spoke in the most inoffensive way I know how tried to be constructive yet-not- patronising and asked if a) he was aware of the problem and to B) please correct it.

Toys out of pram - hasn't spoken to me properly since.

how should I have approached this? I mean, none of us like to be told we're wrong, but I was trying to help - he's not a bad drummer and I wouldn't like to think he might lose work because of an issue like this (the tempo not the stropping)

was this a rant? if so, I'm done

not a rant, its a problem that needs dealing with and needs discussing with him in a constructive manner, which you did. Maybe his pride was hurt but he's taken it on board. You'll see at next practice. I try to stop songs when they go wrong then explain why, and we start again. Other bands I've been in try to bluff their way through it and finish the song then forget and move on to the next. This never helps anyone grow as a musician or performer.
Has he tried playing to a click track?

Edited by Al Heeley

Shouting 'ONE.... TWO.... THREE... FOUR...' at the top of your voice when you notice the timing waining usually gets noticed.....

If you've tried to talk it out with him you've done your bit. Maybe make the peace and see if he comes round to talking about the issue

Could one assume that the slowing down and the toys out of the pram might be considered uncharacteristic of your friend's normal behaviour?

Perhaps there is something going on in the background of which you are unaware - marital difficulties, health problems, day-job issues? A discreet pause to let the dust settle and then an approach on the lines of "I'm sorry if I upset you - is there something wrong and can I help?".

If he opens up, great. If there's no problem and he's just in a "can't be arsed, get out of my face" frame of mind, best leave him to fester for a bit. He'll come round.

Drummers, eh - you either have to slap them or give them a big cuddle. Sometimes simultaneously.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1337209066' post='1657307']
If there's no problem and he's just in a "can't be arsed, get out of my face" frame of mind, best leave him to fester for a bit. He'll come round.

[/quote]

its a lot more like that

hopefully its the kick up the arse he needed.....

I'm with Skank (albeit on a platonic basis), if this is very much uncharacteristic behaviour, you might get to wondering what else could be driving it.

Aside from personal issues, it would be inexcusable to find that the issue we stemming from simple capability issues, or lack of practice.

I've only hit it the once, and I was very robust with it. I don't throw my toys out of the pram, and I'm sufficiently full of ******hness to be direct and address people on the level where platitudes fail. It has not been repeated.

You might wish for a more moderate approach. Perhaps a more collaborative approach - after all, you both make up the rhythm section. It's a shared problem, in that respect. Not a "you were off today", but more a "we didn't seem to hit it today - what's up and how do we sort it?"

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1337212121' post='1657340']
Best way I've found in these situations, (in a practice at least), is to stop the song and just say "we're slowing down", without pointing the finger at anyone in particular.
[/quote]

plus the one.

it's usually met with agreement.

Good evening, OJ...

Two possibilities come to mind...

1 - Tiredness (going on towards exhaustion...). If the bloke is/has been up to now a good beat-keeper, and normally of an affable disposition, physical or mental overload could explain both changes in behaviour. What the causes could be, I have no idea, but it might 'ring a bell' with you, if you know him well...
2 - Aging. I suffer somewhat from this (apparently incurable...) condition; my fellow band members continue to want to play several up-tempo numbers in our set, and I'm getting to the point where I have difficulty keeping up the stamina, most notably on a brisk, sustained, hi-hat (Muscle Museum, Muse etc...). Result: I tend to drag halfway through. Not good. May not apply to your buddy, of course, he may not be 62...
Either way, go over the whole issue (not just the playing, but the relation too...) over a meal or similar shared (non-musical...) event.
Hope this helps, good luck to you both...

Best way I've found in these situations, (in a practice at least), is to stop the song and just say "we're slowing down", without pointing the finger at anyone in particular.
[/quote]

This seems the best way.

And as a couple of the others said, if both the slowing down whilst playing, and the response are/were out of character, maybe an "is everything ok" enquiry may be in order, from whoever is his closest mate in the band.

[/quote]

I would tend to agree except in this situation you've already pointed the finger privately and he might feel like you're trying to air the issue publicly in order to force him to deal with it...

Try and patch stuff up first and then sort it out with him.

On a more serious note, I would think something was getting his mood down. Whether it's a loss of interest or motivation in the band, or something completely unrelated in his personal life. Patching things up with him, and speaking with him as a friend before a bandmate will surely help him open up. You might be able to not only solve your timing woes but also help him out personally and consolidate the relationship you already have.

Hope all works out best for you, him, and the rest of the band! :)

[/quote]

This. exactly my approach

[quote name='KERMITNT' timestamp='1337245712' post='1657572']
i do the same:) stop the song

but some times i canot explain it is like is slow motion the song to my head especially with too much adrenaline in my vains.
[/quote]

This is what I thought. Are you sure it is definitely him slowing down? Or do you think maybe you are just speeding up and not noticing? I think that is what you have got to establish first.

[quote name='ojplaysbass' timestamp='1337208345' post='1657294']
Has anyone else had a drummer freak out on them?

I play regularly with a drummer friend of mine in a few different bands (a big band, a '50s tribute show and a function type outfit) and I've know him personally for about 15 years.

Over the last few weeks i've noticed that he's been slowing down during numbers (especially during upbeat numbers) and didn't know whether it was through bad practice, no practice or intentionally pulling the band back for effect.

it's worth noting at this point that when i notice him slowing down i try to push him with what i'm playing but he usually clean ignores me.

Knowing what a sensitive issue this sort of thing is with drummers, I spoke to him about it in the car on the way back from a rehearsal the other day (I didn't want it to seem like I was having a go at him in front of people/ peers/ colleagues). I spoke in the most inoffensive way I know how tried to be constructive yet-not- patronising and asked if a) he was aware of the problem and to B) please correct it.

Toys out of pram - hasn't spoken to me properly since.

how should I have approached this? I mean, none of us like to be told we're wrong, but I was trying to help - he's not a bad drummer and I wouldn't like to think he might lose work because of an issue like this (the tempo not the stropping)

was this a rant? if so, I'm done
[/quote]

he may be unwell?? or try a click track, but do tell him.....

I know this was a rehearsal, but if it ever happens during a gig, don't say anything until the gig is done! Seems obvious, but I used to play with a band where the frontman was always turning round to the drummer and criticising his tempo in a surprisingly loud whisper between or even during songs. This invariably made the gig worse not better, as the drummer tensed up and went all over the place and the rest of the band silently seethed at the frontman. I don't miss those gigs! The drummer in that band was good on a good day, but was often under-practised due to living in a flat.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1337246440' post='1657586']
This is what I thought. Are you sure it is definitely him slowing down? Or do you think maybe you are just speeding up and not noticing? I think that is what you have got to establish first.
[/quote]

i think the best thing is recording the rehersal and then listen to it in order to see if is adrenaline or actually has speeding issues

I've found this with a few drummers and other musicians too. I always tell them to their face and its up to them how they take it. It says a lot about a musician (and a person for that matter) who can't take constructive criticism. I personally love people telling me if I'm making a dog's arse of something as I always look to improve my playing and will take on board what they're saying. If a musician wants to spit the dummy out when someone offers constructive criticism then I don't think they're ever going to take what you say on board.

[/quote]This. I would definately treat this kinda common drummer problem whilst in the band situation. Stop the song and address the problem. That's what rehearsals are for. I would definately avoid taking it to a personal level after the fact. 1 to 1's can be very awkward.