Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

drummer slowing down

ojplaysbass

I do this in one of my bands but they hardly ever tell me about tempo problems. It's pretty frustrating and I have no idea how to fix it. I can play to a click but they don't really like it because there are bits in the songs where they like the drums to shut up, at which point we go out of time.

for the rock band I play in (more up tempo) I don't seem to have the problem at all

nice one guys - I'll keep an eye on the situation

Just by way of explanation - it wasn't really possible to address it mid-song during rehearsal time because the band leader is a stress-fueled kind of guy so the emphasis is on the rehearsal schedule and topping/tailing the tunes rather than getting the numbers bang-on-correct first time.

that being said, the tunes were all fine except for the tempo issue.

I also had addressed it in private because I didn't want it to seem like I was showing him up in front of employers.

BUT - with hindsight and reading your responses, taking more of a "we've been slowing down" approach would've been more tactful. D'oh.

I'm pretty good friends with this guy and I really don't think it's a personal problem that's been distracting him - it's more like bad practice/laziness and his response was that of 'oh s**t I've been caught out' more than anything.

so in short - i'm off to buy a cattle prod.

p.s. it's definitely him slowing down not me speeding up :)

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1337329750' post='1658075']
I've found this with a few drummers and other musicians too. I always tell them to their face and its up to them how they take it. It says a lot about a musician (and a person for that matter) who can't take constructive criticism. I personally love people telling me if I'm making a dog's arse of something as I always look to improve my playing and will take on board what they're saying. If a musician wants to spit the dummy out when someone offers constructive criticism then I don't think they're ever going to take what you say on board.
[/quote]

Always help to set some ground rules, at the start. We give each other some right abuse, as a result :)

Hope the collaborative approach works. If not, aim for the bridge of the nose. Tears at bedtime, etc.

I'd quite like this problem. Our drummer speeds up on everything. I don't care though cos the punters are all still happy which is what its all about. We even laugh about it and its become a bit of a running gag.

In your situation i'd try and find out what the consnsus is from other band members. If they don't care then it's your problem. If they do then you have some support.

Always be nice about it though.

[quote name='KERMITNT' timestamp='1337247185' post='1657606']
i think the best thing is recording the rehersal and then listen to it in order to see if is adrenaline or actually has speeding issues
[/quote]

+ 1. We got a Zoom H2, and there's nowhere to hide with that - it shows up everything (but in a good way). Makes everyone want to raise their game, rather than be caught on tape with crap timing (to relentless piss taking from the others).