Why become a member? ×

Fender Pawn Shop Basses Finally!

Clarky72

Yuck! Because I'm using my work computer, a lot of pictures wont load up if they've been posted using Photobuckets and the like, so I had to do a wee Google search to find a picture. Needless to say, I was really disappointed, I was hoping for something like the old Squier Supersonic:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1335872227' post='1637220']
[u][b]THE QUESTION[/b][/u]

Could this be the only fender that BRX would like? Find out next week on... Basschat

(Cue music from "soap")
[/quote]

Oh no no no.

A modern 5 string with upper fret access it's not.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1335871743' post='1637206']
Why do people go on about upper fret access.

I can get to 1-12 un hindered. Thats me covered.
[/quote]

I sometimes need to go to 14 on the G

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1335878960' post='1637415']
Yuck! Because I'm using my work computer, a lot of pictures wont load up if they've been posted using Photobuckets and the like, so I had to do a wee Google search to find a picture. Needless to say, I was really disappointed, I was hoping for something like the old Squier Supersonic:
[/quote]

Never seen one of those before, that's a sweet guitar. :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1335872227' post='1637220']
[u][b]THE QUESTION[/b][/u]

Could this be the only fender that BRX would like? Find out next week on... Basschat

(Cue music from "soap")
[/quote]

Not enough strings and no upper fretboard access so it's not for me. I don't have anything against bolt-on necks - just the ones that limit access to the upper frets. I have basses from Lightwave and Traben that have bolt-on necks but they've been designed so that I can get to all the notes I want without the neck joint getting in the way. For those who've never tried it there's something massively pleasing about the tone of notes between the 12th and 19th frets on the E and A strings. I certainly couldn't be without them.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1335879117' post='1637418']
Oh no no no.

A modern 5 string with upper fret access it's not.
[/quote]

You know me so well...

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1335884110' post='1637513']
Incredibly, bad quick and dirty photoshoppery...
[attachment=106654:not_as_bad.jpg]
This is a bit nicer, no?...

Eude
[/quote]

This looks far better! still rather poor though! No idea who's in charge at Fender these days!!

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1335871743' post='1637206']
Why do people go on about upper fret access.

I can get to 1-12 un hindered. Thats me covered.
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1335873348' post='1637253']
What's the point in them being there if you can't get at them?
[/quote]
That's just a minor detail.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1335874502' post='1637284']
....All Right Now then....
[/quote]
Is that the Jimmy Saville version?

Edited by mckendrick

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1335885903' post='1637556']
This looks far better! still rather poor though! No idea who's in charge at Fender these days!!
[/quote]

They're between a rock and hard place though, if they come up with some actual "new" designs, they'll never get it right, Fender heads will hate them, and non-fender players won't really be interested anyway.
They could do a lot better than just bringing out new(ish) colours every so often, or slight tweaks, they could develop things a bit more, refine shapes, improve the weight and handling of instruments, while keeping some more classic examples around too, and I'm sure everyone would be happy to see an improvement in Quality Control.
I guess they do this to a certain degree, but they could always do a bit more, it's not as if they don't have the budget for it, a proper Fender Jazz 6 string for instance, folks have been asking for one of those for a very long time, the Steve Bailey sig got close, but it was astronomically expensive, and didn't quite nail it for most folks.
I also thought the Roscoe Beck sig was a nice example of what Fender could be doing and should have filtered down to more affordable lines, but it didn't seem to catch on.

Mind you, Ernie Ball seem to come up with new and interesting ideas while keeping their brand style, ethos and rabid fan base, there's something Fender are missing...

</my other 2p>
Eude

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1335887770' post='1637595']
The main problem with this bass is that it looks like a bunch of left-over parts bolted together by someone who's never played an instrument before.
[/quote]

I honestly think it is, this whole "Pawn Shop" sh*t is perfect for getting rid of overstock odds and sods...