Why become a member? ×

P Bass opinions please

sellisnba

Hi all
After a lot of deliberation and thinking about the kind of music I would like to play, I have come to a decision that a p bass is the way to go.
So I have been looking in a few music shops lately (local and not so local) and have been really struggling to find a bass that makes me want to spend the money. I thought that a MIM Fender p bass would be my best bet. Is it me or is the quality control at the Mexican fender factory run by a blind man?
Some of the basses I have seen have not been worth £50 let alone £500.
So I'm looking at a p bass copy at the moment from another company (not sure which yet,hence the question).
Does any one know or can anyone recommend a p bass copy? I have had a look at few online but nobody seems to carry anything but fender in stock.
Are the VINTAGE range any good?
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers.

Have a look in the 'for sale' forums here. Your fellow basschatters will give the lowdown on the P bass that they are selling. You will also get full value for your money. Apart from this have a look at the Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified P basses. They are superb value for your money.

The Vintage P-Bass uses Wilkinson components, which are pretty good. The V4 got a positive review in Bass Guitar Magazine. Whether you think BGM's reviews are objective is another matter.

[url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/reviews/V4MTB_BassMar12.pdf"]http://www.jhs.co.uk/reviews/V4MTB_BassMar12.pdf[/url]

If I were looking for a P-Bass I'd certainly consider it at least. Lots of bang for your buck by all accounts.

MIM P basses can be hit and miss but the ones that hit are fantastic, bear in mind that many stores only stock basses rather than care about them so they don't actually set them up nicely!

Personally? I'd either keep looking for a MIM P or go second hand on here.

Good luck

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1332754370' post='1592413']
dont know about the VM range as my squierJ is an affinity and for 150 notes the build quality is vgood - i only bought it on a whim as my original intention to use the neck for my own project build but the squier is defnitely staying in one piece now
[/quote]
edit - a bass playist friend of mine has a VM squier P which is modded with wilkinson pickup which i have gigged - the wilkinson (or any other upgrade for that matter) is definitely worth doing - the only reason he got it back was because he had my TRB which he was setting up :D

I've yet to see a review where the lowest mark was worse than "maybe it's slightly less wonderful than the twice as expensive super wonderful doodah.."

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332754109' post='1592405']
Whether you think BGM's reviews are objective is another matter.

[/quote]

Mmmmm Vintage V4, picked one up the other day and to be honest not that impressed, sound wise very good but finish wise could see through the white paint in places, frets were sharp and unfinished and neck had such a bad back bow it's going back today.
Only got one as i have a spare set of 62 pups and wiring upgrades laying about (by the way if your buying to upgrade, body route only has enough room for mini pots)

But all that aside for the money you get what you pay for, I'm returning it in the hope that the Tony Butler / Bruce Foxton / Roger Waters model might be a bit better cos the vintage white is vomit enducing. :unsure:

It`s worth persevering with MIMs. I picked one up 2nd hand last week for £350, and I can`t believe how good it is. I`ve done a review on here about it.

Squiers are very good too. I had a CV Classic 60s Precision, and it was very good indeed.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1332755760' post='1592453']
It`s worth persevering with MIMs. I picked one up 2nd hand last week for £350, and I can`t believe how good it is. I`ve done a review on here about it.

Squiers are very good too. I had a CV Classic 60s Precision, and it was very good indeed.
[/quote]

Hehe I picked mine up NEW for that :P

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1332755857' post='1592455']
I'd personally recommend going for a CIJ/MIJ P-Bass, or if you come across one, an old (MIJ) Tokai Hardpuncher.
[/quote]

And Lozz has a Tokai for sale right now!! Just in case Lozz didn`t want to plug his own for sale thread.

I would rather buy off of someone on here than take a chance on buying something blind off the internet. I wouldn`t write off all Mexican Fenders either. Some people on here have had some cracking MIM`s. The Mexican Mike Dirnt and Classic 50`s P bass are in your price range second hand and they are superb basses for the money.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

Go for a Tokai hardpuncher. Will absolutely blow you away and much better than an MIM, possibly better than a standard american, IMHO. Ash bodies though so consider what kind of weight you'd be happy with.

Although generally speaking Vintage guitars are very good, I don't really like their P basses. I don't think they feel right. You'd be far better going for a Squier classic vibe - very good basses.

Edited by TPTroll

I don't know where you've been looking at Mexican P's that are so bad? I've had 2 both bought blind second hand, a 2003 & a 2008 that were both superb, not just for me but the guys I sold them on to were also well impressed. As long as the build quality is good - there's a whole lot of improvement in playability that comes from a proper set up. That applies equally to a £2000 bass though, not a criticism of Fender Mexican Japanese or USA.

IMO you just won't find a new bass in a shop that is set up to how it's right for you, unless you're exceedingly lucky, it's very personal & once you bond with a instrument - then you can start 'getting it right' :happy: I know I have the time, inclination, experience & patience that some may not, but I'm constantly tweaking my basses until I'm happy that it's set up as well as it can be - FOR ME! If I sell a bass I always offer to set it up for the buyer, especially if they don't like the strings that I do, then I'll change strings (at their cost & choice) & set it up. If I was dealing with a shop I would hope for the same service!!!

Cheerz, John

MIM Fenders can be average, but as said previously, they can also be fantastic. I had a MIM Precision at one point, and it was a superb bass, in every way. MIJ (Japan) is widely seen as a good buy, QC seems to be good, but I have had my hands on a couple of clunkers too, so try before you buy is always best.

I love Fenders, but that's just me, plenty on here hate them. Lakland Duck Dunn is a superb P bass, but under £500? You'll be lucky. How about a Yamaha BB414 or similar? Fantastic basses the Yamaha BBs, and you can still find 1980s BB2000s or 3000s on ebay, or even a BB1100S, great range of basses.

How about this one?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/171793-fender-cij-precision-fiesta-red/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/171793-fender-cij-precision-fiesta-red/[/url]

Edited by Rayman

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1332756890' post='1592485']

And Lozz has a Tokai for sale right now!! Just in case Lozz didn`t want to plug his own for sale thread.

I would rather buy off of someone on here than take a chance on buying something blind off the internet. I wouldn`t write off all Mexican Fenders either. Some people on here have had some cracking MIM`s. The Mexican Mike Dirnt and Classic 50`s P bass are in your price range second hand and they are superb basses for the money.

Jez
[/quote]

Agree with that Jez - both me having a Tokai Hardpuncher (PJ pickup config) up for grabs, though dimly didn`t see the sales opportunity (doh), and the Mike Dirnt & Classic 50s Precisions being very good (I`ve had one of each), each are cracking basses.

If you want a cheap P-bass?
- I've just been down town to 'crack convertors' & seen a Encore P - Fiesta Red & Tort plate, £59 - looks a lot better than you'd think for 'pocket money' :rolleyes: From the same importers (JHS) as Vintage I believe ;) If I weren't such a self confessed 'badge snob' I'd have bought it :huh:

affinity P found on gumtree :) if youre anywhere in southeast this would be a good price plus another 50 for a wizard pup
[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-squier-p-bass-red/96028350"]http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-squier-p-bass-red/96028350[/url]

I'd say that was a little pricy for an affinity - they are good basses, but secondhand I'd be looking for no more than £100 or so - I paid £80 for mine. They are only £160 new.

Apparantly the affinities can be variable in quality, but mine has been fine, so definitely one to check out in person, or from someone on here with decent feedback.

Edited by fatboyslimfast

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332790076' post='1593200']
Stand tall, Gary. Steely gaze, hands on hips, groin thrust forward. Hooray! :lol:
[/quote]

If I were to do any thrusting these days, it would be followed by three days on the sofa with a hot water bottle on my back :rolleyes: