Why become a member? ×

Best Beatles song to play in a pub band?

The Dark Lord

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1332669061' post='1591268']
Harmonies always seem to be the limiting factor in Beatles covers.
You don`t realise until you start messing about with them, just how much of that sound came from vocal harmonies.
We`re doing Day tripper and Saw her standing there, and I had to hammer out a 1x Morrissey tune for every extra Beatles tune type deal to prevent another 4 in the set.
First of the Gang is coming along nicely ;)
[/quote]
i would add to that even the chord voicings too

missing out even the occasional passing note is often enough to make a noticeable difference - a good beatles cover does imo require a strict musical discipline because their strength and beauty is pretty much totally encompassed in the melody and harmonic structure - unless you go the whole hog and are brave enough to do a crazy rearrangement such as esperanto's eleanor rigby! :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1332927689' post='1594876']
i would add to that even the chord voicings too

missing out even the occasional passing note is often enough to make a noticeable difference - a good beatles cover does imo require a strict musical discipline because their strength and beauty is pretty much totally encompassed in the melody and harmonic structure - unless you go the whole hog and are brave enough to do a crazy rearrangement such as esperanto's eleanor rigby! :)
[/quote]Considering mercuryl is in a guitar/bass duo I would assume that serious rearrangement is a given. I've got to say, I'm struggling trying to imagine some of the songs suggested with such a limited line-up.

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1332926179' post='1594850']
We do Twist & Shout...crowds always go crazy to it :)
[/quote]

We also do Twist & Shout and the crowd loves it and starts twisting away. Also in the set is I Saw Her Standing There. Both big crowd pleasers.

Done a few other songs in my time.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1332936535' post='1595064']
Considering mercuryl is in a guitar/bass duo I would assume that serious rearrangement is a given. I've got to say, I'm struggling trying to imagine some of the songs suggested with such a limited line-up.
[/quote]

There's an acoustic duo round Nottingham that only do Beatles songs and they get regular gigs;
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4mZWPDwHcE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4mZWPDwHcE&feature=related[/url]

Edited by KevB

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1332936535' post='1595064']
I'm struggling trying to imagine some of the songs suggested with such a limited line-up.
[/quote]

Note for note/arrangement/sound, of course.
But with a bit of creativity and a little outside of the box thinking,
anything is possible with Beatles tunes.

Garry

[quote name='HeavyJay' timestamp='1332667120' post='1591242']
Someone shouted out a request for Elenor Rigby at a gig of ours, we apologised for not bringing the orchestra that night.
[/quote]

We used to do that in a 3 piece (very differently of course) started off with a stabbing telecaster Em, and was oft mistaken for London Calling...
Got very 'eavy by the middle....

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1332937802' post='1595089']
There's an acoustic duo round Nottingham that only do Beatles songs and they get regular gigs;
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4mZWPDwHcE&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]
Yeah .... I don't consider our two-piece line up to be limiting in any way. It's kind fun and uncoventional and people are surprised just how big a sound comes out of just two guys.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1334230464' post='1612850']
Another vote for 'And Your Bird Can Sing' here. We play this in the middle of a set full of Green Day, RHCP, Killers, Stone Roses etc. and it works. It shouldn't, but it does. Plus it's only 2 minutes long ;)
[/quote]

Which Stone Roses songs do you do?

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1334236691' post='1612994']
'Can't buy me love' I'd opt for..... always get's people up and dancing and can be played with limited instruments
[/quote]

And when you say limited instruments - you mean the Bass Gtr ? :lol:

Garry

I've played numerous Beatles songs over the years and they're great fun: two I've played recently that went down very well, which I don't think have been mentioned - 'Norwegian Wood' and 'If I Fell'.

Don't rule out a medley neither - if you can keep it to about 5 or 6 minutes!

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1334233050' post='1612918']
Which Stone Roses songs do you do?
[/quote]

'She Bangs the Drums' and 'I am the Resurection' oh...... and Love is the Law by the Seahorses. Every one a crowd pleaser.

I skipped some of the posts, but no love for 'Taxman'? Great bassline - just ask Bruce Foxton, and plenty of latitude for your guitar player to give it some wallop if they want to - as in........... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OgkjcW0g4[/media]

There is also a great Stevie Ray Vaughan version, which will also appeal to the guitar fraternity.