Why become a member? ×

New Fenders on the way???

bigsmokebass

Hey guys,

According to Andertons music, Fender are discontinuing all guitars and basses from the '08 USA Standards to "make way for new lines".

Just wondered if anyone has heard or read anything of what they're bringing out?
As a Fender player, I'm super excited to find out whats coming, hopefully, nothing like the crap they've brought out recently.

Here's slink to support it: [url=http://www.andertons.co.uk/News/aid1324/fender-discontinue-2008-american-standard-strats-teles-basses.asp]Andertons[/url] and grab yourself a bargain :')

BSB

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1332330096' post='1586652']According to Andertons music, Fender are discontinuing all guitars and basses from the '08 USA Standards to "make way for new lines".

Just wondered if anyone has heard or read anything of what they're bringing out?
[/quote]

They do this every few years. Rename the range, make it ever so slightly different (a slightly different bridge, for instance) and charge you an extra £100 for the privilege.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1332331132' post='1586677']
More expensive 2012 standards.
[/quote]

Sadly, think you've just nailed it there... Not exactly expecting anything game changing. If they made that 5 string P bass with the MM lookalike (though it was two Jazz pups wasn't it?) in a 35" scale or just the standard P bass 5 string in a 35" scale I'd be all over that.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1332333711' post='1586733']
Might they be called the "012 USA Standards" do we think, or will it be those Blacktops with weird pickup combinations and necks?
[/quote]

I really do think they're quite ugly. Especially that Precision with the two soapbar pickups. Yuk.

[b] Prices[/b]
[font=arial, sans-serif]
[b]Standard[/b][/font][list]
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS RW 3TS £1,474.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS RW OWT £1,402.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS RW BLK £1,402.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS RW CCOLA £1,402.80
[*]AM STD J BASS RW JPM £1,402.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS RW CFM £1,402.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS MN 3TS £1,474.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS MN OWT £1,402.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS MN BLK £1,402.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS MN CCOLA £1,402.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS RW FL 3TS £1,582.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS RW FL BLK £1,498.80
[*]AM STD J BASS MN JPM £1,402.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS MN CFM £1,402.80
[/list][font=arial, sans-serif]
[b]Left handed[/b][/font][list]
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS LH RW 3TS £1,582.80
[*]AM STANDARD J BASS LH RW BLK £1,498.80
[/list][font=arial, sans-serif]
Music Radar link above![/font]

I've just bought a Precision Blacktop and the pup's are excellent! Much better than the ones on my US P Bass that I got rid of last year. My band noticed the diff straight away, just loads of bottom and loud! Lot's more variation available too compared to the standard split coil. I'm very pleased with it, does our 'rocky' set loads of justice. The first one I bought was a dud - back pick up didn't work but this one is firing on all cylinders. Sounds Live were very good and replaced it with no fuss. Build quality I would say is ever so slightly 'off' compared to the Mex Roger Waters I owned that was just superb. Some slightly sharp fret ends and a slightly bigger rout than is necessary for the back pup. Mine looks pretty in white chrome pearl which is not so sparkly as to make it tacky.

Best bit by far tho, the Pup's, try one for yourselves, I think you'll be impressed. According to BGM, the Jazz version doesn't work as well coz of the pup combo?.

LC

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1332334775' post='1586774']
I've been out of the loop in terms of retail prices for a while.... £1,400 for a standard US P???
[/quote]
Holy c**p, £1,400 from a Fender US Standard bass? That's only £100 less than what I paid for my Status.

Having said that, I shelled out £900 for my US Jazz 12 years ago. That's an average inflation rate of 3.2%, which essentially means that in real terms, the price hasn't moved.

However, given that you can pick up a Classic Vibe Squier for 25% of that price, what tangible benefit do you get for paying so much more?

[quote name='M-Bass-M' timestamp='1332420822' post='1588017']
However, given that you can pick up a Classic Vibe Squier for 25% of that price, what tangible benefit do you get for paying so much more?
[/quote]

+1.

Though I've got to say I'm feeling pretty smug that I got my '97 P secondhand for so little right now.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1332436329' post='1588406']
Anybody got a pic of the new Jade Pearl Metallic finish? I'm thinking British Racing Green. Would look great with a black plate and maple neck methinks.
[/quote]

That would look good! have I missed something or is the only noticeable change the pickups?