Why become a member? ×

Fender Dusty Hill Signature Precision Bass

TransistorBassMan

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1330786367' post='1563001']Add on £300 for some serious quality hardware and there's £1k.
[/quote]

300 quid? You could get decent enough hardware for about half that if you shopped around here at Basschat and elsewhere ;) So maybe 100 quid or so.

Edited by Jerry_B

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1330783771' post='1562963']
I think the price is in line with other similar signature stuff the Fender CS knocks out, so have no issue there. I personally don't like the bass though.

Here's a pic of him with my '52, (with a proper headstock!);

[/quote]Is that not Billy Gibbons??

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1330775165' post='1562764']As for the price. Does it not sit around the same price as a Pino Custom Shop Sig?
[/quote]

Maybe Pino is regarded as being more "upmarket" and therefore worthy of the price tag? Certainly both basses are rather aggressively relicked (sp?) but essentially very simple instruments...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1330796610' post='1563186']
Or a Skoda.

I drive a Skoda. :)
[/quote]

I drive a Skoda. An old one.
It's remarkably tough/reliable and the automotive design equivalent of IKEA furniture. Better still, the money I didn't spend on it helped subsidise a habit we on BC all share... GAS.

Edit - That bass needs a BadAss or some other kind of "proper" bridge.
Otherwise, still a resounding "NO!" from me, I'm afraid.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1330789291' post='1563044']
300 quid? You could get decent enough hardware for about half that if you shopped around here at Basschat and elsewhere ;) So maybe 100 quid or so.
[/quote]

I was just thinking nice 'spensive pick-up, some good tuners, decent electronics and a fender decal. Leaving £200 over for some full-on strap buttons.

All new-bought of course - simply trying to compare the cost of a bitsa to a custom shop where the parameters are roughly aligned.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

• 2 weeks later...

[indent=1]I had a bass made by Cliff Bordwell in Florida for around £1700 incl taxes and importing costs. It was totally to my spec. Walnut, maple, Hondurus rosewood, Nordstrand PUs with Audere preamp etc. Alright the exchange rate was very favourable at the time but no I don't think £2800 for a modified Fender is a very reasonable price.[/indent]

[indent=1]But folk love Fender. Fender know what price they can charge. Simples.[/indent]

[indent=1]Davo[/indent]

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1330782055' post='1562923']
Now then..THATS a nice bass, [b]none of that 'relicing' malarky that totally shagged the Dusty Hill one[/b]
[/quote]

It's meant to look like that?? :blink:
I thought the black one was just his old one that they based the sig model on!!!

Edited by chaypup

Dave [i]had [/i]been using an Epiphone Explorer in Eliminator, and I doubt very much he'd fork out for one of these, in fact I [i]know[/i] he wouldn't in a month of Sundays.

I like the bass myself, simple, functional, and dare I say it, stylish, I think it looks great. Waaaaayyyy too much though.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1330806163' post='1563342']
Who is 'not Billy Gibbons'? Sorry. Couldn't resist.

It is in fact BG and not DH.

Whilst the concept of a DH Sig bass is appealing, as mentioned before, I think I would want a little more for that tag price. Having said that, given the nature of the man and his music, what more could they really offer? Texas shaped inlays maybe?

I wonder what the difference in price would be without the relicing? Above that, the only thing you appear to be paying a lot for is a (singular) custom wound pick-up. Money no object, yeah why not. It is pleasing to my eye, but then again, so are a hell of a lot of other basses.
[/quote]

These young guys all look the same to me!!! Except Mr Beard , the one without the nice beard/hat combo, of course.
I like the simplicity of the bass, but you could sprain your wrist tuning it :o

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331752912' post='1578375']
[url="http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/13480/Fender-Custom-Shop-Limited-Masterbuilt-Dennis-Dunaway-Billion-Dollar-Jazz-Bass/"]http://www.themusicz...llar-Jazz-Bass/[/url]

And people thought the dusty was a bit much price wise.
[/quote]

That is ridiculous....oh hang on...whats that?.....free shipping!! Quite reasonable then! :lol:

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331752912' post='1578375']
[url="http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/13480/Fender-Custom-Shop-Limited-Masterbuilt-Dennis-Dunaway-Billion-Dollar-Jazz-Bass/"]http://www.themusicz...llar-Jazz-Bass/[/url]

And people thought the dusty was a bit much price wise.
[/quote]

That is truly horrible

• 2 months later...