Why become a member? ×

Minimum post count for selling items

Gust0o

Difficult.

I would be wary of a low or next to nothing post count as that might imply the only reason to join is to sell...
The best point for buying here, IMO, is that people should value their status and regard here and so therefore should not want to undermine that.

On balance I would prefer a min post count, but in effect, I probably apply that anyway at some level.

This is a good point, but personally I don't think a post minimum is beneficial.

I joined this forum to buy my dream bass and having acquired it, stuck around. Everyone has to start somewhere and I think the buy/sell section is a great because you can start with a focus. Admittedly using this place once to sell an item is abusing it a bit, but it's the perfect way of dodging evilBay and finding your target market. I love how active the market is on this forum, it gives me a chance to pretend I could afford some of these beautiful basses.

I know I don't post much, but I'm on here everyday reading what all these wonderful people have to say and occasionally feel a need to throw in my two cents (like now). I think a post minimum would deter new users, I know it would have deterred me. Plus, it'll will more work for our amazing moderators (suck up) to filter out all the spam posts.

So new users come and go, but at least people are coming and going and surely that's the sign of a healthy forum. I'd hate for this to become a clique instead of a community.

[quote name='thack' timestamp='1330693961' post='1561708']
So new users come and go, but at least people are coming and going and surely that's the sign of a healthy forum. I'd hate for this to become a clique instead of a community.
[/quote]

This is another key point. If it's just the same people buying/selling as regular it'll be the same gear circulating around all the time (this happened a lot when it was <1000 members).

I have no problem with people advertising their wares here - if you have any concerns don't buy from them or ask a more local BCer to check it out for you..setting a post limit will only mean they post drivel before advertising - not rocket science is it?? Maybe setting a daily/weekly "bump limit" would be an idea if users have an issue with this..

People who don't post often are already at a disadvantage as its less likely that someone will feel comfortable trading with them. Also, I personally decide to send Paypal payments as a gift (without being asked to, i mean) for members who either have a lot of good feedback, or post regularly.

[quote name='CPCustomdubwise' timestamp='1330604076' post='1560091']
As this is my debut non-transactional post and even though this is not the correct forum for this,Hi guys! Nice to meet you.
[/quote]

Nah, you only wrote that to qualify for your 5% forum rebate on my soon-to-be-sold and laughably cheap 2008 Nigeria X-pense 7.5 str. with Brazilian Rosewood body, neck and fingerboard
(whilst I write this only to boost my postings #, so I get to sell it). ;)

Nice to meet you too, CPCustomdubwise. :)

Bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='CPCustomdubwise' timestamp='1330604076' post='1560091']
Whilst conducting this transaction,I noticed
another BC'er was looking for a fretless neck.I had one I wanted to sell so contacted him and found him to be another genuinely nice
person.(I'm firmly of the belief that most people are...)Again,I attempted to convey as much integrity as it is possible to do via a medium
like this and we utilised PayPal for our mutual protection.So that's one purchase and one sale as my first activity on this site.
In my opinion imposing arbitrary constraints like the ones described above WOULD be a deterrent(particularly,perhaps,to
younger participants) and could even be viewed as counter to the ethos of a community like this.Everyone has to start somewhere
here on BC
[/quote]

Yep, and if he'd had to have a minimum post count I would still be looking for a decent fretless neck at a decent price (or i'd have bought that crap one on ebay i didn't like).
Which would make me a sad panda... :)

I don't know if anybody's suggested this already, but what about a limit on bump frequency? Regulars do it anyway, and genuine newbie sellers surely wouldn't mind. The only ones who would object would be the cynics who post and then bump ad nauseam in an attempt to secure a quick sale so they can bugger off again (who are surely the very ones we want to be rid of anyway, n'est pas?).

I don't see the point in a minimum post count. All it does is encourage forum spamming.

If someone with a low post count wants to sell something thats fine with me. I just might take a few precautions (ask for VERY specific pictures, a phone number, etc). Any genuine seller will understand.

Plus, its not like a high post count is a guarantee that you're not going to get ripped off (I've seen several sh**storms at other forums where regular users have ripped people off).

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1330624820' post='1560688']
That's about the top and bottom of it. The most expensive things I've ever bought are houses, and never ever have I met or spoken to the seller!
[/quote]

True, but OTOH houses are normally collection only. Most of the issues with buying and selling basses involve a degree of physical disconnection.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1330720074' post='1562283']
setting a post limit will only mean they post drivel before advertising
[/quote]

As opposed to those of us who post drivel after advertising?

On the whole, I'm inclined to keep it as it is.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1330518832' post='1558666']

Would be interesting to put up a poll - in fact I may do it later - on how many members joind with their first intention being selling an item.
[/quote]

I'd been reading these forums for ages before becoming a member. I only joined because I wanted to buy something that was advertised here...

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1330970711' post='1565603']
I'd been reading these forums for ages before becoming a member. I only joined because I wanted to buy something that was advertised here...
[/quote]

To which end a minimum post count for [i]selling[/i] would not have stopped :)

The fact that we have new people on this thread and posting about their experiences is good - but the suggestion was never aimed at you anyway. You know, cos you're posting.

Anyway, Machines has given his answer. It's down to the individual member to make their call as to whether the person is legit or not, or if they're someone they want to deal with. Sounds pretty straightforward, so no worries.

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1330883282' post='1564324']
I don't know if anybody's suggested this already, but what about a limit on bump frequency?[/quote]

We already contact anyone that goes a bit OTT with their bumping even if they delete their previous bumps.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1331029638' post='1566412']
We already contact anyone that goes a bit OTT with their bumping even if they delete their previous bumps.
[/quote]

Well in that case I don't really see the need to do anything further. What's wrong with trusting people in the absence of evidence to the contrary?

[quote name='CPCustomdubwise' timestamp='1330978099' post='1565767']
but the suggestion was never aimed at you anyway. You know, cos you're posting.

But it would still have scooped us up anyway.

Anyway,sorry,shouldn't keep worrying away at this...

One more thing..."gobby scouser"...LEEDS UNITED??? :blink:
[/quote]

Dad red; mum white - and you know how it is when your mam gets involved :lol:

I didn't post on basschat up to now, and only stopped by from time to time for reading and looking for equipment in the market place - so a minimum post count would exclude me from the market place (as a seller), for some time at least. Still, I have to say I'd actually recommend it.

I'm moderating the bass section in Germany's biggest musician's board, and we have introduced a minimum post count for selling at our market place some time ago. As far as I can tell, it didn't scare new users away - there were no noticable negative effects on the number of new users. But it did lead to a noticable decrease in user complaints about sellers from our market place section - of course a certain number of posts doesn't mean you can automatically trust everyone who has reached the minimum count. But 50 posts can actually help to get a better picture of the person you're dealing with, and peple who just sign up to rip others of in our experience mostly don't make the effort to participate that much.

Some do, of course, and try to get the minimum number of posts quickly by excessive spamming - that's why we introduced a minimum time of membership as well, and quickly react to obvious spamming. That of course does mean some additional work for the mod team, I have to admit that ;) But although I usally am very much against unnecessary restrictions, I have to say it really helped to minimize trouble with our market place section.

And all that actually seems to draw new users rather than scare them away - 'cause the market place offers at least a little bit more security for buyers, and people often sign up simply to contact sellers ... and quite often stay and begin to take an active part in the community :) Actually I just signed up on basschat to contact a seller in the first place ;)

I originally found BC as I was looking at getting a modern player tele bass and was looking around for user opinions/reviews etc.
FOund TB first then here. Joined both. Through finding BC I found a wealth of quality used basses I never even new existed. To that point the only souces of used equipment were ebay, cash generator, cash converter and the odd item as a part ex in local music shop.
Still a relative newbie (although now over the proposed limit) I have already bought two basses, am thinking about an Ashbory and intend to flog off some of my stuff to pay for it.
Its a nice place to be and I intend on hanging around.
However I still find forums in general can be a little uncomfortable. For example despite having played bass since I was 15 due to a long non-playing hiatus I am not as knowledgeable as I would like to be. Last time I played seriously you were lucky to have a bass and an amp, a choice never really came into it. Therefore I find a disproportionate amount of time asking questions which, to me, doesn't really feel like contributing and could p off long term members who don't want to read stupid questions from ill informed newbies.
I lurked for few weeks before I did anything to get a feel for things.

• 2 months later...

I'm sure this has been debated to death but I for one would approve of a minimum post count to post in the classifieds.

Any problems or irritations that have ever come through using the marketplace here have NEVER been with established members of the community, who I have found to be helpful, friendly and always happy to make a good deal.

However I've had contact with members who obviously have integrated with the main community first and are only here to sell. Not to tar all with the same brush, but this is where I've found poor packaging, late and uninsured delivery and most frustratingly, members relisting gear that has been sold to them only a week prior [i]at a much inflated price[/i]. Now far be it from me to question the laws of a freemarket which I wholy support, but I do question such etiquette on a [i]community[/i] such as this - I'd never want to do a disservice to a basschatter.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1337773690' post='1665168']Members relisting gear that has been sold to them only a week prior [i]at a much inflated price[/i].[/quote]

I really don't see this as an issue and I'd defend the right of anyone to sell items which they own at a price which they feel is appropriate. After all an item is only really worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Not sure it's necessary to be honest, i've had plenty of good deals with people who've only had a few posts, in fact the only bad deal I've ever had on here was with an "established" member. A lot of people find sale threads on here through google and register to buy stuff, in fact that's how I found bassworld back in the good 'ol days. As long as you're sensible and exercise caution I don't see the issue in dealing with new members.