Why become a member? ×

What do these "ramp" things do

thepurpleblob

Swings and roundabouts I would guess. They can encourage/enforce a lighter touch, yes - but surely at the cost of limiting dynamic range? What's so bad about "digging in"? :huh:

I wouldn't have one, but then again I am heavy-handed and not very subtle! :rolleyes:

Here's mine:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/SeiLEDs.jpg[/IMG]

I like to pluck the strings at a variety of different points between the "24th fret" and the bridge depending on the tone I want. Mine has been arranged so that the fingerboard, pickups and ramp are all level, giving me a uniform playing surface and thumb rest from the end of the neck to the end of the bridge pickup. If I need to "dig-in" I'll normally be plucking the strings between the bridge and the pickup anyway. Works for me on this bass.

Put it this way, I would not put a ramp on a jazz bass or my Rickenbacker as I want to dig in at times.

However, on the Adamovic five string I have on order, I am definitely getting a ramp. Ramps make it feel as though you're playing over a pickup all the time. It doesn't get in the way, it just reinforces your muscle memory so you don't play to hard.

I like them, but not on my 'rock' basses...plus yes, the design I'm getting is a 'rampbar'. So there is good thumb supprt across most of the playing area. Dream bass time...

N

Edited by Cairobill

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1330014389' post='1551469'] Put it this way, I would not put a ramp on a jazz bass or my Rickenbacker as I want to dig in at times. However, on the Adamovic five string I have on order, I am definitely getting a ramp. Ramps make it feel as though you're playing over a pickup all the time. It doesn't get in the way, it just reinforces your muscle memory so you don't play to hard. I like them, but not on my 'rock' basses...plus yes, the design I'm getting is a 'rampbar'. So there is good thumb supprt across most of the playing area. Dream bass time... N [/quote] Like the line 6 one?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1330016634' post='1551526']
Like the line 6 one?
[/quote]

It's a housing that contains the pickups like this...

[url="http://www.adamovic.nl/3Options/Pickups.htm"]http://www.adamovic....ons/Pickups.htm[/url]

Edited by Cairobill

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1330012241' post='1551408']
You know they put those wretched things at PRECISELY the point I want to dig in. The inconvenience of it all. Tut.
[/quote]

Which is why this bass is mine and not yours ;-)

When I first started playing fretless I found I liked the feel I get when I played over the end of the fingerboard, but often the tone was too mellow. So when I had this one made one of the main specifications was that the fingerboard, pickups and ramp formed a continuous surface that gave me the playing feel I wanted and the tone(s) I wanted at the same time.

Besides if I need to dig in at one of the more conventional places I have another fretless bass that allows me to do that.

The ramp I think originated with Gary Willis although the raised pick-up thing works the same too which is one of Billy Sheehan's 'secrets' which he happy to tell everyone in a clinic.

A lot of people working on their right-hand finger-style technique, particularly using the Gary Willis approach, use them to govern their attack to ensure a light touch. The common element between Billy and Gary being that they both use three fingers to pluck, using the ramp/raised pick-up to provide a resistant surface to govern the slight uneven length and strength of the three fingers.

More broadly, you make the amp do the work in terms of volume, keeping your right-hand agile and tension-free. If you look at Gary's videos on YouTube, he certainly gets great dynamics. Over-playing, particularly to compensate for poor volume or monitoring is potentially very damaging to your hands. That said, in reply to an earlier post, I wouldn't stick a ramp on a vintage Rick or Fender either.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330011766' post='1551398']
Here's mine:

I like to pluck the strings at a variety of different points between the "24th fret" and the bridge depending on the tone I want. Mine has been arranged so that the fingerboard, pickups and ramp are all level, giving me a uniform playing surface and thumb rest from the end of the neck to the end of the bridge pickup. If I need to "dig-in" I'll normally be plucking the strings between the bridge and the pickup anyway. Works for me on this bass.
[/quote]

Sorry, but I am going to have to say it....... you have wooden pickups, they will never work you know!

Coat ready and on my way :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330011766' post='1551398']
Here's mine:

[/quote]

What a sweet little bass