Why become a member? ×

My first Gig

paulypbass

Basicly got my first gig in just under 2 weeks and just wondering whats it like to play live. iv been in 2 bands before but never got to the giging stage of things, iv been playing for like 3-4 years but playing live is somthing iv always wanted to do. Its only for 30-50 poeple and half of those poeple will be friends.

Can any of you remember your first gig.

Not clearly. I was so keyed up on adrenaline that I don't even remember being on stage. Someone took a vid of it and on the whole I think I did OK (I had a music stand with cheat sheets off to the side which I can be seen perusing between songs), but I really can't remember any of it. No drinking.

It'll be easier in front of an audience you know half of. My first gig was a paid one for a 40th birthday. On the plus side, we were on last and the crowd were pretty well oiled by then :)

It was at a function at a hotel in Loughborough circa '94. We practiced that morning and I snapped the E string. Being both skint and inexperienced, I bought a single replacement E string, and couldn't understand why it sounded so 'zingy' compared to the rest. Not that it mattered, the gig was chaos but great fun.

[sub]Enjoy your first gig, it will absolutely flash by and you'll wonder where the time went. I started way too late in life and that's my big regret. Convinced myself for years that I wasn't high enough standard to gig and should have been out there 10 years before I did it seriously.[/sub]

[quote name='paulypbass' timestamp='1329820102' post='1547722']
...just wondering whats it like to play live... ...can any of you remember your first gig...
[/quote]

No-one can tell you what it's like to play live, just as no-one can tell you what it's like to have sex! :lol:

My first gig was on a Kay guitar tuned down an octave through a Woolworth's 'Audition' amp in a three-piece band (three guitars!) in a church in Gloucestershire in 1974. I was pissed, and threw up afterwards. I always think this must have made Jesus very upset for some reason, as the bugger seems to have been on my case ever since! ;)

On my first gig I was there to watch the old bass player who was leaving. They got me up to play one song - Red Red Wine (yeah, I know, but it [i]was[/i] back in '84). Two weeks later I took over from him completely, and then went off on a summer season with the band. I never looked back.

My first gig was back in 77, school open day, played in the main hall, Rolling stones, Hendrix, Blues cover,s and three Beetles song,s had to learn them in a fortnight! suffice to say we were not very good, and the music teacher was,nt impressed? he also told us to get a proper job? as we would never make proper musician,s???. The girl,s in my year liked it though, felt like a rockstar for a few week ,s lol. Got such a buzz i,m still doing it 35yr,s on! School Music teacher,s......... ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329823124' post='1547816']
No-one can tell you what it's like to play live, just as no-one can tell you what it's like to have sex! :lol:
[/quote]

This is brilliant, discreet! :lol:

I don't remember too much of mine. I was oh so nervous; full of nerves and excitement. The whole thing flew by.

Afterwards I wished we'd played more, and recognised the nerves were overdone. All that fuss! :)

We had about 30 people, most of whom were mates.

You'll do great. You'll know the stuff, and it 'll be just like a big rehearsal in front of people who want you to do well. Let us know how you get on :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1329873260' post='1549071']
I don't remember too much of mine. I was oh so nervous; full of nerves and excitement. The whole thing flew by. Afterwards I wished we'd played more, and recognised the nerves were overdone. All that fuss! :) We had about 30 people, most of whom were mates.
[/quote]

Are you referring to your first gig, or your first sexual encounter?? :lol:

I'd done live performances with a number of bands by the time I was 16 or so, but I played my first bar gig in 2006 when I was 17 for a 100 odd people. The adrenaline hit me and I don't remember much, other than it being one of the greatest experiences of my life! 5 years down the line and I've performed many, many hundreds of times over, with only a handful of gigs matching how great the first time I gigged was. Enjoy it.

Mine was equal parts terror and elation, felt like my legs were shaking so much I must have appeared to be having a go at an Elvis impersonation!
It helped that we knew a fair chunk of the crowd so we went down well even though we were pretty shoddy. All in all it was of the best nights Ive ever had :)

Edited by Subbeh

I remember it well. Not the best gig i`ve ever done.

In a church hall, in 1982. We did two songs. The bassist and I (I was on guitar/vocs) had rehearsed, but the gig was the first time we`d played with a drummer.

Not having done lead vocs before, I had a tendency to walk around stage whilst playing, so many of the vocs couldn`t be heard.

The bassist, in one song, got lost so stopped playing. he then remembered where he should be. but instead of just playing from there, he played all the notes he`d missed to that point, very quickly, to catchup.

Maybe he invented thrash?

Mine was at The Sanctuary Rock Bar in Burnley about 5 years ago (see pic left). We did about 40 mins to about 30 people as the first of three bands, it went by in a flash. The two incidents I remember were the guiatrist started the first song before I had plugged in (thankfully there were 4 bars rest for me), and then later on I completely blanked on an intro to one of our songs for what felt like ten minutes but was in reality probably only a few seconds. Happy days :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1329873260' post='1549071']
This is brilliant, discreet! :lol:

I don't remember too much of mine. I was oh so nervous; full of nerves and excitement. The whole thing flew by.

Afterwards I wished we'd played more, and recognised the nerves were overdone. All that fuss! :)

We had about 30 people, most of whom were mates.

You'll do great. You'll know the stuff, and it 'll be just like a big rehearsal in front of people who want you to do well. Let us know how you get on :)
[/quote]

thats a good way of looking at things to be fair, yea i'll let everyone know how it went, thing we are doing 8 songs

Hmm.. Some advice? You know when you practice at home and you think you've got it nailed...? Then go to rehearsal and find it's completely different? Playing live for the first time for me was a big a jump as that... Everything sounds different, and it takes a while to adjust.. The only one noticing this about you is..... you... :-) so just keep playing and you'd be surprised how quickly it becomes fun...