Why become a member? ×

Basses you wished you never parted with

shizznit

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1329831650' post='1548038']
At the moment, after years of umming and erring, I am so glad I did not sell my streamer. Offered it up enough times! New pups and wow! This is going no where!
[/quote]

What pickups did you put in it?

I had a 79 black/black/maple P bass I wish I still had, but apart from that there arent really any other I totally regret selling. I did regret selling my DJ4 until I got my current bass, a Sandberg JM4 now I dont regret it all. The sandberg is my perfect bass!!

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1329844173' post='1548394']
What pickups did you put in it?
[/quote]
Bartolini PJ set.
Honestly it still sounds like the same bass but the difference is chalk and cheese. It has a piano like quality to it now, basically from sitting there going I have a nice bass... but I can't sound like all my bass heroes, or that style of playing doesn't work on my bass, I now have tone that highlights the good points of this warwick's sound. So so so good.
I think if I were a slapper I would prefer the MEC pups though.

Guest levelitup

My Alembic Mark King Walnut with blue LEDS. Made for me back in 97. Times were hard and It was that or my union jack GB.
Would love to have it back.

quote Philip Gould!
(When making mistakes, is a part of life's imperfections)

laters
Rob

[quote name='mikeh' timestamp='1329845283' post='1548425']
I had a 79 black/black/maple P bass I wish I still had, but apart from that there arent really any other I totally regret selling. I did regret selling my DJ4 until I got my current bass, a Sandberg JM4 now I dont regret it all. The sandberg is my perfect bass!!
[/quote]

I was just reading this thread thinking I wish I hadn't sold my S9 P bass, which is this one!, I got it from Mike (traded for my bongo). I think I swapped it for an old Stingray, which I also regret getting rid off.

Also I had a DeArmand Starfire that I fitted with DarkStars.....

I've been such a fool :rolleyes:

I have a couple I really wish I had kept, but at the time I thought I was doingt he right thing and wanted something new.

1. The sonic blue USA Fender Precision my Dad bought me. It was my first 'Proper' expensive bass. I even hassled a member on here recently because I thought he had it. So upset I never kept hold of it.

2. Fender Roscoe Beck V, traded with Happy Jack on here for an amp and cash. Needed an amp but was one of the best basses I have ever owned. Wish I could get another one

3. Squier Japan 80's Jazz bass. Wish I had kept it purely for its value now, I traded it in and got £90 off my USA Precision.

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned a lot of basses over the years some very good and some pretty awful but I only really regret selling one and that's my Fretless Shergold Marathon, it had a maple fingerboard and was finished in white, I played it for years in mostly rock bands and hardly ever did any slides on it so in the end decided it made more sense to get a fretted Jazz so I sold it to a guy through Loot in the early 90's. :(

The relic'd p bass copy I made. Sold it and bought it back once. Sold it again and I'm still gutted :(
Couldnt afford it even I could remember where it had ended up. But because I bought it and built it as parts it's got a real attachment for me.
Gutted.
Stupid money :(
[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/IMG_0352.jpg[/IMG]
That and my '92 ray. But although it was an amazing dream bass I'm oddly more gutted about the p bass still.

I sort of regret getting rid of my old 60s original Hofner Violin Bass, complete with original case. It played like a dog and sounded like someone kicking a cardboard box - and at least the fifteen quid I got for it paid for a night out :(

Edited by GregBass

It always pains me to think about these three:

Alembic Spoiler, bought off Clarky but in the end I had to sell. Many thanks to George Osborne for that one, never mind I suppose my gold-plated pension will let me buy a new one.

Prosebass Humbucker Fretless, inexcusably sold - still no idea why

[url="http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp53/taylorarcserve/Basses/prose.jpg"][/url]

Beedsters '73 Telecaster Restoration Project, no pictures for this one. Sold in a moment of financial panic after buying a new amp

[quote name='deaver' timestamp='1332003437' post='1582013']
Alembic Spoiler, bought off Clarky but in the end I had to sell. Many thanks to George Osborne for that one, never mind I suppose my gold-plated pension will let me buy a new one.
[/quote]
That was a wonderful bass which I sold because it didn't fit the vibe of my then-punk band. I'd have it back in a heartbeat too, now

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1332004050' post='1582022']
That was a wonderful bass which I sold because it didn't fit the vibe of my then-punk band. I'd have it back in a heartbeat too, now
[/quote]

Yup, between us we should have kept that one in the fold

Just two basses;

- Maple / maple 1972 USA precision with a white scratchplate. My first USA precision, the one I used to pick up when I got home after a gig and wanted to play just a bit more. What a dunce to sell it :( even though it did help finance my Goodfellow Rumour. I'd now sell other basses to have it back

- Hohner Jack bass, the best one of three in the shop. Just a good bass, nice and light, easy to play, sounded great, lovely sustain, did everything a bass is supposed to do. I keep seeing them come up around here when I havn't got the money. One day, in the not too distant future....... ;)

Gibson EB0 in GREEN!
This was not my bass, but a mates back in High Wycombe1968/69 which I tried to rustle up the cash to buy and never made it.
It was a standard SG type Gibson EB0 with one mudbucker and the finish was a stained emerald green with the wood grain showing through beautifully - think Rossi's Telecaster.
I have never seen another in this colour before or since and if anyone has it or knows where it is, please let me know.
Thank you.

Had a scruffy '62 Jazz for a short while but sold it because my cheap MIJ Jazz sounded pretty much identical and felt the same after some work with some sandpaper.

I sold the '62 for about £100 more than I paid for it so I shouldn't complain but it's the only bass I really regret selling. I'm still playing the MIJ Jazz some 20+ years later so that's some consolation.

Edited by Fat Rich

None. They all served a purpose and did a job for me. When that job was over I sold them. No regrets - no sentiment.

The bass I enjoyed playing most that was sold under the above circumstances as a headed Status Energy but I was still happy when it sold because I wasn't using it and I wanted it to be worked. That's what instruments are - tools to allow us to do our job as musicians. I'm a musician - not a collector.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1332063448' post='1582592']
None. They all served a purpose and did a job for me. When that job was over I sold them. No regrets - no sentiment.

The bass I enjoyed playing most that was sold under the above circumstances as a headed Status Energy but I was still happy when it sold because I wasn't using it and I wanted it to be worked. That's what instruments are - tools to allow us to do our job as musicians. I'm a musician - not a collector.
[/quote]

My sentiments entirely. I recently sold a bass I had owned for over 30 years. Over these years it was the best bass I had ever owned, but my needs are different now so I sold it on to an 'enthusiast' for the brand. It was a Hofner S7B