Why become a member? ×

Guy finds 62/63 Shell Pink Jazz Bass..it's all going off on Talkbass

umcoo

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1329610271' post='1544944']
A friend of mine picked up a 1962 P bass from a charity shop in Liverpool just before Christmas. Not nearly in as good a condition as this Jazzer, but he only payed £80 for it......it's genuine as well.

D.
[/quote]
Never mind that, I want to hear more about this

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1329679317' post='1545826']
imagine a jazz bass in shell pink, in great condition...... Then imagine some douchbags ranting about legal issues surrounding how the bass came into the owners possession.
[/quote]
But the funniest part was after someone described the OP as a 'brother of the bass', another poster pointed out that the OP couldn't be a 'brother of the bass' because he didn't know what a pickup cover was.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1329657972' post='1545382']
God knows what the rules are in America . But I know for talk sake my house which is Northern Ireland Housing Executive.

If I was to abandon the house, stop paying rent and basically disappear without notice. When they reclaim it everything has to go into storage for so long, they look after the local garages (I think council does it on your side of the water). There is a shortage of garages because thats where they store the stuff taken out of abandoned houses.

BUT

If I was to hand over the keys and give up the house anything I leave gets thrashed. Depending on what work crew does it they will sometimes leave things like carpets and blinds. Others will rip up brand new fittings and bin it. Some will leave the back door open if you ask nicely . For instance in this house it had a decent bathroom sink and fitted shower. The back door got left open and the stuff just happened to go missing before the Mrs got the keys. Across the road has changed hands a few times recently. The first time New wooden floors got ripped up the second time all the new carpets and blinds were left for the next tenant. Once the keys are handed over it's fair game and the NIHE doesn't really care what happens. By the rule book if a 63 pink Jazz was left behind it should be destroyed .

Same applies in the event of someones death. The family have so long to empty the place and hand the keys in, once thats done anything left gets skipped.

Once the keys are handed over thats it you can't come back and say I left a an all original '51 P bass signed by Leo in there I want compensated. You'll just get told it was destroyed and dumped.

So going on the knowledge of how it works with our house I don't see it as inconceivable the same could apply elsewhere in the world.
[/quote]

from personal experience working for a local authority in housing, if we had a tenant who "fled" the contents of the house/flat would be put into storage and held for three years. Efforts would be made to contact the former tennant or relatives where they would be told they could claim the Items back once they had cleared any outstanding arrears against the property. If this didn't happen within 3 years, the contents would be disposed of and set against any arrears. Dont know how this works in the US of A

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1329679526' post='1545832']
Yes, there were particular characters on talkbass mouthing off about the moral/legal intricacies of the situation that would easily qualify for the appellation 'cockmaster'. Quite amusing...
[/quote]

The topic was deleted before I could read it. I can only imagine what was being said. You can always find unsolicited BS lectures at TalkBass, though.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1329688133' post='1546063']
the americans all live in the land of the free......except on TB! We shall have no arguing here, unless we are wrong, then we shall delete you!
[/quote]

Was it deleted for the arguing - or by the OP for self-preservation?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1329692274' post='1546142']
Was it deleted for the arguing - or by the OP for self-preservation?
[/quote]
I'm not sure he'd have worked out he could do that. He was new on TB, and probably on forums generally.

To see some of the deleted thread: Google cache is your friend. (using Google Chrome, ymmv)

- go to [url="http://www.google.co.uk/"]http://www.google.co.uk[/url]
- stick the thread's URL in the seach box
- you'll get one hit, mouseover the link and then mouseover the double-right arrow and the preview pane will appear to the right.
- in the preview pane, you'll see the URL, and under that the page's title and the "cached" link. hit that to see the cached page

this will give you the latest page in the thread. to see previous pages, repeat with the specific URL for the previous page. The above process will link you to

[CODE]
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/1962-1963-shell-pink-vintage-fender-precision-jazz-bass-help-info-please-855542/index18.html
[/CODE]

repeat the search with "index.17.html" etc, back to "index2.html"

Edited by toneknob

It really frustrates me how something which starts off realy interesting and exciting can devolve so quickly on talkbass. Yes it is a much larger community than BassChat, but this place seems pretty fair, open and self governing whereas more and more TB seems to be becoming more closed and heavily moderated, not to mention more heavily infested with unhelpful contributors. I use it as a database as it is full of some great reviews and insights, but I try to keep away from all the speculation and what not, lest I suffer the banhammer for expressing my own opinion!

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1329749272' post='1546678']
It really frustrates me how something which starts off realy interesting and exciting can devolve so quickly on talkbass. Yes it is a much larger community than BassChat, but this place seems pretty fair, open and self governing whereas more and more TB seems to be becoming more closed and heavily moderated, not to mention more heavily infested with unhelpful contributors. I use it as a database as it is full of some great reviews and insights, but I try to keep away from all the speculation and what not, lest I suffer the banhammer for expressing my own opinion!
[/quote]

Don't forget the endless "What colour wraps should I have on my strings?" threads - or "Join my '67 Precision with tortoiseshell scratchplate club" threads - it's what makes Talkbass BE Talkbass.