Why become a member? ×

Magic Moments in music

Bilbo

From 2:10 to where it all kicks back in again in this gives me goose pimples every single time I hear it:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVpikug3UCM[/media]

Ignore the cheesy WoW video... ta...

Edited by bartelby

There had been many 'moments' before this and many after but I always recall the first time I listended to Zep's In Through The Out Door album. The song 'In The Evening' has two of them, first when Plant finally comes in with the opening line after a long long buildup. Then later just as Page starts his solo he kind of launches into it with the most over the top racket that sounds either like some huge piece of machinery cranking into life or something being dropped down the stairs. But it works.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1329406762' post='1542018']
There had been many 'moments' before this and many after but I always recall the first time I listended to Zep's In Through The Out Door album. The song 'In The Evening' has two of them, first when Plant finally comes in with the opening line after a long long buildup. Then later just as Page starts his solo he kind of launches into it with the most over the top racket that sounds either like some huge piece of machinery cranking into life or something being dropped down the stairs. But it works.
[/quote]

Ooh I love that 'dropped down the stairs' moment as well! I always imagine it's Bonzo kicking his kit downstairs. Or more likely Bonzo kicking an innocent bystander downstairs! :lol:

But sadly, I think that is the only good track on that album.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1329408102' post='1542055']
Ooh I love that 'dropped down the stairs' moment as well! I always imagine it's Bonzo kicking his kit downstairs. Or more likely Bonzo kicking an innocent bystander downstairs! :lol:

But sadly, I think that is the only good track on that album.
[/quote]

It's a Fender strat with the whammy bar being abused so much you can hear the springs straining coming through the amp.

Personally, the Cave In song Sing My Loves has an awesome moment at 4:02 when it all comes together beatifully after a long build. First heard it on this video through headphones wondering if they were still worth listening to after the average Perfect Pitch Black album. I was sold after hearing it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg1UAqt0lwY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg1UAqt0lwY[/url]

The following springs to mind: the keyboard intro to Tarot Woman off Rainbow Rising up to and including where the band kicks in; where the guitar comes in on Shine On You Crazy Diamond; the 'If we could just hold hands' part of the Rover Song by Led Zep; and the first few notes of the guitar solo on Deal With The Preacher by Bad Company, just perfect timing and choice of notes

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1329409984' post='1542086']
Interesting. But in my head it will always be a staircase accident! :)
[/quote]

Interestingly, Wikipedia say's it's a Mellotron but I remember a Guitar World interview where I heard the Strat story. I even remember going and borrowing my sisters copy of "Remasters" to hear it after reading about it but this was many years ago. Maybe it was Bonzo kicking a Mellotron down the stairs and it landing on a Strat?

I think the turning point or magic moment for me was the first 4 bars of Know Your Enemy by RATM, I was 15 when I first heard it and I'd just started playing bass, and that accelerated everything. Tim Comerford is still my favourite player, but it's actualy the guitar part in the intro I think is the magic moment.

First six chords intro to "The Wind Cries Mary" - Hendrix.
Intro to "21st Schizoid Man" - King Crimson.

The latter I heard as a playback from the finished master in the studio where it had just been recorded.
We, in our band, looked at each other and all had the same thought :huh: - "Time to f@*k off home and forget about recording our stuff"

The bit in Close to the Edge where the keyboard solo comes in over that repeating bass figure. That just sends me, man. Seriously, I adore it.

The 8-string breaks in Manowar's Battle Hymn ("To the battle we ride" etc) and March For Revenge By the Soldiers of Death ("Fallen brother etc"). Oh, and the solo coming in on Sign of the Hammer. The first few notes of the guitar solo on a live version of Green Manalishi by Fleetwood Mac. Peter Green, what a player he was. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff. And this, particularly the sequence that starts around 2:17; for all I know in classical terms she's the equivalent of Britney Spears but I really don't care. It moves me to tears pretty much every time I hear it. I could have done without the version of Bohemian Rhapsody though....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAbG4zxLTFs[/media]

Edited by 4000

I was about 12 and really just knew pop stuff and the charts - T. Rex, Slade, etc. - good enough in their own way, exciting for a kid but not exactly magic. I was kind of starting to be more aware of the fact that there was much more music out there and I was really keen to find out more about what seemed like a really intriguing whole world of music I knew nothing about. Trouble was, as a kid, I didn't know how to find out more: didn't hear it on the radio (during the day), couldn't afford to buy stuff just to try it out - and even if I had had the money I wouldn't have known what to buy.

Anyway, I kind of heard about John Peel on the radio and decided to try listening to him. First few times I tuned in, nothing really jumped out at me and it all sounded a bit weird. I was about to give up - when he played something that definitely counts as a magic moment. It was 'Solid Air' by John Martyn and I remember thinking "What kind of music is this - I have never heard anything like it before". It was FM radio - so pretty good quality - and the whole thing just blew me away: I had never heard anything like it - it just sounded unbelievable and made me want to find more. And I suppose, all these years later every time I hear something new and good it kind of brings back a little bit of that amazement I felt when I first heard that song.....

All of Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, but especially where the "heavy bit" comes in.

When the bass comes in on Hanging Around by The Stranglers.

The intro to Pretty Vacant, by The Sex Pistols, which is then superceded by the whole song coming in.

The "main" guitar solo in November Rain by Guns N Roses.

The piano coda in Leyla, by Derek & The Dominoes - just had to listen to it whilst typing this.

Oh, and Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton - quite how he ever manages to sing that live I don`t know.

Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers - simply wonderful vocal perfomance

Edited by Lozz196

More Peter Green - the solo in 'Need Your Love So Bad' is a masterclass in subtlety. And, in 'Man of the World', when he sings the line 'I wish I was in Love' at the end - I almost always well up when I listen to that properly. Soooo sad.

When the bass comes in on 'Smoke on The Water'
When the bass comes in on 'I don't Need No Doctor' Humble Pie Rockin the Filmore.
Another vote for 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' build up.

Plenty more.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1329396084' post='1541751']
For me there's a moment in Firth of Fifth (by Genesis for the uninitiated :) ) where the song moves into a sweeping keyboard (I know, I know) passage that for me really creates the whole atmosphere of the song.
[/quote]

Same song, but the bit at the end of the KB solo when Hacket swoops in with his sublime guitar work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPf1zv93qjs

from about 4.50 to around 7.00 the whole song just swells and builds, leaves me quite limp by the time the lyrics come back in :)

....and don't even get me started on Los Endos, also from Seconds Out.

Mary Hopkin, now [i]there's[/i] a name I wouldn't have expected to crop up in this thread..... :)

While the subject is on Genesis I have to add the mellotron intro to "Watcher of the Skies" - best intro of all time IMO.

Edited by RhysP

The opening bars of the World at War Series....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqONgYHYo88[/media]

And for some pathetic reason 'Miles' first couple of bars on this.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OddHP8_Em7s[/media]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood

Nik Kershaw - Show Them What You're Made Of

Gary Kemp - An Inexperienced Man

There are also a couple of guitar solos I have probably mentioned in a similar thread before, one being A.C.T - Mr Landlord. Both are a bit guitar w@nk BUT they have momenta where the run, through a key change give me bumps everytime

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1329425702' post='1542425']
Same song, but the bit at the end of the KB solo when Hacket swoops in with his sublime guitar work

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPf1zv93qjs[/media]

from about 4.50 to around 7.00 the whole song just swells and builds, leaves me quite limp by the time the lyrics come back in :)

....and don't even get me started on Los Endos, also from Seconds Out.
[/quote] Gotta agree mate! Hackett, is king of the e-bow the whole album is immense IMO