Why become a member? ×

Michael Manring. wow!

leftyhook

I remember the first time i ever saw this i was completely blown away. I can normally take or leave unaccompanied solo pieces to be honest but this just draws me in, it's mesmerising. Even if it's not your cup of tea you have to admire him, he's a genius.

I love this guy's playing, his whole approach to the instrument. 'The Enormous Room' is my favourite solo bass piece, quite beautiful and mesmerising.
Still, i'm sure somebody will be along in a minute to tell us it's w***ery, grooveless, not 'real' bass, etc etc.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1328442388' post='1526874']
It's a beautiful piece of music,but IMO, it's as much a product of the tuning possibilities of his Zon Hyperbass as it is of his playing skills.
[/quote]

4 detuning pegs do not compare to the years of practice he must have put in! awesome player

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1328441693' post='1526857']
Not my type of bass playing at all but I can happily sit and listen (watch) this and admire his dedication, style and feel.
[/quote]

fair comment.
I can see why some people get annoyed listening to 'over-slapping', though the technique has to be commended for the rhythm more.
I have no intentions in trying to play in Manring's style any more than I want to slap beyond what I feel is enough for [i]me[/i]. But this is indeed, an intoxicating piece of music performed by a virtuoso of a quite unique style.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1328442634' post='1526881']
4 detuning pegs do not compare to the years of practice he must have put in! awesome player
[/quote]

Don't forget the bridge (re)tuner too!

As soon as you can quickly and accurately retune all your strings on the fly it opens up a lot more musical possibilities as anyone who has spent time composing with open drone strings and harmonics will know.

OTOH if you've seen the other video of this where he takes as long to set up the bass to play in tune in all the different tuning combinations as it does to actually play the piece you may wonder if it's really worthwhile...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1328443890' post='1526917']
Don't forget the bridge (re)tuner too!

As soon as you can quickly and accurately retune all your strings on the fly it opens up a lot more musical possibilities as anyone who has spent time composing with open drone strings and harmonics will know.

OTOH if you've seen the other video of this where he takes as long to set up the bass to play in tune in all the different tuning combinations as it does to actually play the piece you may wonder if it's really worthwhile...
[/quote]

7 minutes of tuning up, although there are some amusing comments especially at about 4 minutes:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPHrRwQqVE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPHrRwQqVE&feature=related[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1328443890' post='1526917']OTOH if you've seen the other video of this where he takes as long to set up the bass to play in tune in all the different tuning combinations as it does to actually play the piece you may wonder if it's really worthwhile...
[/quote]

i dont really wonder at all. it is worth it. I appreciate microwave cooking as much as anyone, but also I like slow cook stuff that requires patience and preparation. Takes all sorts. (didn't think you were slagging it off, BTW so I am not having a go, just registering that 7 mins tuning for this aint such a big deal)

Edited by RichF

I wonder if people who've only heard the piece on the album Thonk think it's anything more than a really good tune? Or if anyone has tried to play the piece on a standard fretless bass?

It puts me in mind of the story about Adrian Belew trying (and succeeding) to recreate Robert Fripp's solos from Heroes when the pieces in question had been assembled by Eno from multiple takes and had never originally been played as a continuous piece.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1328448161' post='1527043']
I wonder if people who've only heard the piece on the album Thonk think it's anything more than a really good tune? Or if anyone has tried to play the piece on a standard fretless bass?

It puts me in mind of the story about Adrian Belew trying (and succeeding) to recreate Robert Fripp's solos from Heroes when the pieces in question had been assembled by Eno from multiple takes and had never originally been played as a continuous piece.
[/quote]

interesting question.

[url="http://youtu.be/aFvwc082V3M"]http://youtu.be/aFvwc082V3M[/url]

This is a good effort but i think the hyperbass generates more certainly performance wise but also musically in terms of the musicality of the tuning shifts and the open strings etc.

It's a beautiful piece of music, and the thing that amazes me the most is how he manages to remember which note is which in all the different tunings (especially as it's an unlined board!) - I have enough trouble with standard tuning....

He's definitely stretched the boundaries of what is capable on the instrument that's for sure. Great player and I love the design of that bass - I bet it's lightweight compared to most basses (anyone on here got one?).

I remember this being the first thing I heard by Michael:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eTBc7aWBGw&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eTBc7aWBGw&feature=player_embedded[/url]

What struck me first was the beauty of the tune, the technicality of what he was doing hit me after, but it is a stunning piece of music IMO.

Si

I thought it was great; but...

... but you wouldn't put it on the car stereo.
... but it's a little self indulgent.
... but no frigger will ever buy it.

I spied an interview with James Patterson in Metro the other week. He doesn't call his books 'novels', he calls them 'entertainments' - and he notes the huge gulf between them and the real literary greats; but he also notes their indulgences and limited appeal, and perhaps that's what it takes to have that greatness and really push the boundaries of what you can achieve in your field of the arts.

I think the comparison works here. He's pushing it; he's to be respected for it; but outside of this thread, of people who also play, he'll get no recognition for it.

Which is alternately a shame and to be expected.

Just my late night musings. I was certainly glad to have seen the clips :)

i had the good fortune of seeing him play the enormous room at a clinic about a year ago - i didn't know too much about him before then but i sure do now lol

it was seriously mind blowing seeing this guy play - he's truly mastered the instrument.

another thing that struck me was his lengthy and thorough warm up routine (which is about the only thing of his that i've managed to successfully emulate)

honestly though - this guy...