Black Night - Deep Purple
In the Shadows - The Rasmus
Toxic - Brittany Spears

Crap innit.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1328186933' post='1523206']
All cried out is pretty cool. :)
[/quote]

A nice way of saying that the other songs suck giant hairy moose parts? :lol:

Edit: Wouldn't mind playing 'Rebel Yell', though.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328187384' post='1523221']
Admittedly its not a set with a specific genre/direction, but to be honest, with good songs like those, does there need to be?
[/quote]

I'd say yes, it's quite a lot of ground to cover adequately in a single gig. IMHO. :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1328186721' post='1523201']
Crap innit.
[/quote]
It's not really possible to say without seeing/hearing the band. Depends on the main strengths and weaknesses with the band. The songs themselves are mostly OK (couple I don't recall). A few of the songs will be pretty demanding for a singer. Unless he is quite exceptional, I would drop those. Some require a pretty tight rhythm section, so unless that's the case, I would drop those...
As you see it's difficult to be really helpful without knowing the band

FWIW Not sure I like the diversity.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1328188073' post='1523245']
It's all good except for "Use Somebody." That song is such a buzz kill.
[/quote]

Did it a few times in my last band, went down well for us. Guess it depends on the audience and the delivery. Marv's original list looks OK to me if it's a pub full of mixed ages. I quite like a bit of diversity myself in a covers band if you can pull it off, some bands can't. Make the songs your own. I'm guessing this is a female vocalist, if not then as Steve K mentioned a couple of them could be a struggle.

Edited by KevB

depends on whether you all enjoy playing them or it's just a load of compromises cause you've all got different musical tastes, which is not a good thing, I always say, 'if the band doesn't look like they're enjoying it, how can you expect the crowd too?'

We used to play quite a few of these until we went uber heavy. Every breath was so boring and I was forced to play it for a year. Was so happy that went. I do miss the Rasmus though. Great tune. My biggest advice would be if you enjoy playing it the crowd will enjoy listening. If you hate it the crowd will soon realise. I would also say have at least one song that you can claim you have stamped your flavour on it. I guarentee that will soon be the punters favourite.

Looks good to me.

One of my bands does 'Use Somebody' and it really goes down well. The first time we played it we followed Doctor Feelgood at a charity do (no pressure :unsure: ) and we ended our set with it to huge applause.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1328197787' post='1523491'][list=1]
[*]Got me doubts about anything by brian adams as well, although I used to like playin run to you when it was new. Just my 2 pennworth though.
[/list]
[/quote]

TBH summer of 69 always seemed to go down well and its easy to play

The rest of the list is OK although it is diverse - how are you getting on playing Black Night? I used to play it years ago and I always seem to remember struggling with it