Why become a member? ×

Which 212 cab?

Freddie75

Hello fello chatters, I have a works Brucie bonus coming my way at the end of march and am looking to purchase a 212 cab, the only thing is which one do I choose?

Looking to spend no more than £800 and to sit underneath my newly purchased Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0.

The ones I am considering so far but would be great to have any others you think I should consider and particularly which sound great with the shuttle 9.0

Barefaced Super 12t
Genz Benz Neox 212t
Gallien Krueger Neo 212
Any others?

It ideally needs to be 4 ohms to get the full power from my amp.

I play in a few bands - a Chili peppers tribute, a funk / party band, an original 80s pop type band and also dep for some other tributes occasionally so I would like something versatile sound wise and fairly light/ish.

I have read very good things on the Barefaced front - but is there something else I should get or should I pull the trigger on one of those babies? I have spoke with Alex at Barefaced before and he was very helpful. £800 is a lot of money (to me) so want to make this a purchase that will last me for the rest of my playing days.

Many thanks for reading and hopefully your comments

Cheers
Freddie

Edited by Freddie75

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1328043776' post='1520935']
Schroeder 212L - VERY small and very light. Great cabs, I want another
[/quote]+1 on Schroeders, my 4ohm 1212L is great and gets plaudits from other band members too.

In one sense you can't go wrong: there are many satisfied users of different makes of 2x12 cabs on here, and every time this comes up they all say "mine's the best" or words to that effect.

I think the " 4 ohm to get the full power out of my amp" bit is a complete red herring though. I don't believe the difference in volume is noticeable, and If you want to make more noise you are better off with an 8 ohm so you can add another one at a later date. Moving twice as much air IS going to be noticeably louder.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1328045291' post='1520981']
I think the " 4 ohm to get the full power out of my amp" bit is a complete red herring though. I don't believe the difference in volume is noticeable, and If you want to make more noise you are better off with an 8 ohm so you can add another one at a later date. Moving twice as much air IS going to be noticeably louder.
[/quote]

+1
wish I had done that

Edited by nugget

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1328045187' post='1520976']
+1 on Schroeders, my 4ohm 1212L is great and gets plaudits from other band members too.
[/quote]

Yes, although not mentioned on the original post, Schroeders are great cabs. Not that nice sounding on their own at quiet levels, but in the mix they have a presence that I`ve not found with any other makes. My 21012L has to be the best sounding cab I`ve ever had, and is so light as well.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328080474' post='1521364']
Not that nice sounding on their own at quiet levels, but in the mix they have a presence that I`ve not found with any other makes.
[/quote]So true, especially when they're new. I was quite worried by mine when I first got it and tried it, but I had been forewarned by other BCers so I stuck with it until I got to hear it in a band situation. Marvellous, and LOUD! Way louder than my previous 2 2x10 Ashdown rig too.

I use GK Neo212s and they're brilliant. One is enough for most gigs but they're light enough that I take both everywhere anyway.

One of the guys that runs a night at a venue in Sheffield we sometimes play at almost fell over when he picked my cab up a few weeks back, he was expecting it to be much heavier than it was, so he stumbled back when he lifted it.

[quote name='tubbybloke68' timestamp='1328356626' post='1525880']
I've got a super 12 with a shuttle 9, very light cab but a do find I have to eq it alot to get any bottom end 'presence' from it, I'd go with the neox 212
[/quote]

I take it you have had experience with the Shuttle 9.0 and the neox212? Is it loud enough??

Many thanks