Why become a member? ×

celebrity in the audience?

leftyhook

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1327479818' post='1511796']
Does Brian Johnson of AC/DC count? :)

Unbelievably, he actually wanted to sing with us in the second set! He knew our singer was having a hard time with a throat infection and as we were playing typical pub blues stuff Brian knew the material... He was too polite to ask and we were too gobsmacked to suggest it! A lovely guy who always gets together with his family for a meal when he is back home, which is how he happened to be in the pub we were playing as it is round the corner from the Indian restaurant where he had just eaten!

The night I nearly backed Brian Johnson... :rolleyes: :D
[/quote]Anything I see him on , he just strikes me as lovely bloke . No ego , just proper .

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1327485234' post='1511910']
Jack Bruce at a Sunday evening pub gig out in the Suffolk sticks.

Brown trouser time as we were a typical '60s blues band.
[/quote]

I've been playing in front of audiences pretty much daily through my teens and fairly frequently as an adult, but the thought of playing in front of Jack Bruce would fill me with butterflies !

Did a charity fundraiser with a few of the cast from the TV show 'The Bill'. A woman in the audience pledged £100 to see a fella do the full monty on stage as he stood there at the mic. He gave me a look that would kill when I started the bass line as I stood next to him :D

Michael Buerke - it was his birthday coincidentally (it was a charity gig) so we ended up singing/playing Happy Birthday to him.

Edwina Currie (haha, does she count?)

Bill Bruford I think, so claimed our drummer at the time.

Miss Serbia 2006 (well, we were in Serbia so she was a celeb where we were playing :D )

There are others but I'm buggered if I can remember them now.

used to play this pub on a regular basis,
the six bells at chiddingly,
some of the people who lived local and always came to see the bands were
keith emerson,I spoke to him a few times,smashing bloke
he would sometimes play the piano on a sunday lunchtime,a bit of jazz and ragtime
bob hoskins,
rodger daltry,his trout farm was not far,
led zeps manager

good times
cheers
stef

Bill Maynard turned up to a few gigs many years ago.
I spent half an hour chatting backstage with Dave Edmunds slagging off some highly talented 'balloon dancers' that were also on the bill - wish I'd have known who he was at the time
Larry Grayson - who was spending the weekend with his friends Barry & Gary (luckily I wasn't the target for their drunken affections that night!)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1327581953' post='1513640']
Bill Maynard turned up to a few gigs many years ago.
I spent half an hour chatting backstage with Dave Edmunds slagging off some highly talented 'balloon dancers' that were also on the bill - wish I'd have known who he was at the time
Larry Grayson - who was spending the weekend with his friends Barry & Gary (luckily I wasn't the target for their drunken affections that night!)
[/quote]

Larry, barry and gary? That would confuse the hell out of me

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327582062' post='1513644']
Larry, barry and gary? That would confuse the hell out of me
[/quote]
Harry was obviously ill that night.

Played to Bruce Foxton once.... he tapped his foot to our songs. Must've been very drunk!

Edited by tombboy

once sat on the next table to ELP, all 3, at breakfast at Marcus studios in chiswick once. their voices raised (noticably) when we sat down ( the great unwashed and unknown) about how much money they were arguing about with thier management. no really, they did....never meet heroes. I was disappointed by them. the keyboard player came across as the loudest "show off" & "bigtime" Git.
ah well ...Phffff ...

The Queen & Prince Philip
Princess Anne
Tony Blair & Cherie
Chancellor Kohl
President Chirac
Sultan of Brunei etc

It was at the Asia-Europe Meeting in April 1998 - the uni I went to at the time provided some of the entertainment. The show was held at the Picture Gallery in Buckingham Palace. The politest audience ever. Champagne reception afterwards with Her Majesty. It was all slightly surreal.

And the lights in the loo didn't work.

We were playing at the Flamingo Ballroom, Redruth in the sixties as a trad band (hated the stuff) and the owner told us that Georgie Fame was staying in the adjoining motel. While we were setting up he came over for a chat and before we knew it we were playing Dat Dere on piano (him) bass (me) and alto sax - I told you we hated trad. A great jam and a thoroughly nice bloke. I later booked him and the Blue Flames for a gig in Cheltenham for £35 - from London!

But that was long ago and far away.

Jerry Lee Lewis Played in Reading once. We also played with and shared a dressing room with Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee.
My brother supported the Stones and they used his (home-built) PA
And lots of others.

Edited by bassace

The bassist from Hepburn came to see my old band, I wouldn't have recognised her but she was a friend of a friend.

JWP supported Tony Wright's side project recently just before Terrorvision reformed.

I'm sure there's others too but I'm not one to be awed by someone being a celebrity so I have more important things to remmber. I have a friend that played on stage with the Chillis and has jammed with Mike Patton though which I'm rather jealous of.