Why become a member? ×

Why did I not do this sooner?

Moos3h

Last week I bought a rack EQ as I was curious to see how much difference it would make to my tone when gigging.

I used it last night with total roll off of 25 and 30 hz, nothing else, and the difference was immense - tighter, more focused sound and way more volume available before the speaker could be feel the pressure.

So impressed, and well worth the money!

This makes me wonder why more amps dont have sub sonic filters fitted to take out the frequencies that cause rumble and not much else?
Cheers
James

I have an SFX Micro Thumpinator to do the same job, it's designed to have a very steep high pass filter roll off at that point. There's a video on Youtube that shows how much of a difference it makes to the speaker excursion, without the filter they are all over the place, and with the filter hardly moving at all yet producing the same perceived volume.

Some graphic EQs won't be up to the job as they could have a less steep rolloff and a broader Q point were a 30Hz slider could actually affect freqs around 50Hz also. Sounds like yours has lots of bands if you have separate 25Hz and 30Hz sliders though!

I usually do this with stage monitors,even with a drum fill (then use a sub for dedicated low end).I get more volume and clarity, and the amps aren`t trying to reproduce frequencies nobody wants.
In any case, most venues tend to amplify low end frequencies and that`s what you`ll hear from the FOH on stage.
So rolling some off your stage rig is a great idea.
I work with one bassist (MIJ 80s P into SVT II and 810) and he insists I remove anything below 100hz from his wedge, bass mic input and sidefill. Works for him when the FOH goes up in vol for the encore and the low end takes off.

I think a few of the "Double bass" combos have HPFs built in don`t they? Should be standard on any bass amp.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327239910' post='1508123']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TacaSl6dimU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TacaSl6dimU[/url]
[/quote]That's impressive, I'll have to try and get to demo one of those bad boys.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1327334336' post='1509480']
Great product but daft price.
£109 for a high pass filter ffs?
You could do the same job with a half decent P.A cross over for half the price.
OK not as small and portable but still..
[/quote]

Talking about the SFX pedal? Yeah I've thought the prices were a bit steep myself, they do look like great quality though.

I'm a bit of an [sfx] [i]afficianado[/i]. I currently have four of Max's pedals on my board, and several others have passed through my hands.

Expensive? Yes - but they are beautiful pieces of handmade work (I've seen Max's workshop a few times), they are as small as you can realistically make a pedal, and they are damned near bullet-proof.

The Thumpinator is brilliantly simple, and simply brilliant. You put it on your pedal board, your sound improves, and you never need to think about it again. There are no controls, nothing to fiddle with. It weighs a couple of ounces (that's 60g for my younger, metric colleagues), takes up no more than a couple of square inches (that's ... oh, work it out for yourselves in cm), and looks sexy.

Game Over.

sorry if I'm getting this wrong. Does it take out the frequencies that make the cones move? And we can't hear these frequencies anyway?

Slightly confused by the whole thing but the video makes it look very useful although i think an explanation for tech dummies such as myself would be good.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1327334336' post='1509480']OK not as small and portable but still.. [/quote]

To some people thats pretty important.

I've got a small head so to buy a pa crossover larger than my amp is counter productive.

I'm waiting on my thumpinator to be delivered because its a hand made pedal in the uk. The quality of Max's work is really second to none. Take a look here, http://basschat.co.uk/topic/71973-sfx-builds-in-progress/

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1327339750' post='1509602']
....Does it take out the frequencies that make the cones move? And we can't hear these frequencies anyway?....
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327340646' post='1509618']
Mostly, yes. And mostly, yes.
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Tweeters perform higher than most basses can reach but they are supposed to add something, an ”airiness", to the sound. Is there anything similar happening down low which, while we can't hear it very well, actually contributes to the sound at a subsonic level?[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]What's the frequency roll off with this SFX gadget?[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1327413821' post='1510787']
I just wish I could understand all of this. I just plug and play, though sometimes.....I really wish I knew more about it.
[/quote]
Here` an example.
We listen to CDs recorded at 44.100 or 4800Khz as humans hearing is reckoned to go up to 20KHz and the theory (Nyquist) is we need at least twice the resolution of our upper limit.
Now of course we can record at double that, but most people can`t hear the difference and it costs more memory and resources,so we don`t.
The bottom end is the same. There are frequencies inaudible (or nearly so) that cost the amplifier a lot of juice to even attempt to reproduce.
So the solution is to remove anything below a set frequency (in the Thumpinator I believe it`s 30Hz) and this free`s up a lot of energy that can then go to reproducing frequencies you [i]do[/i] want to hear.
MM