Why become a member? ×

Ripped off!

skampino

[quote name='skampino' timestamp='1327012363' post='1505358']
So if there are any decent tutors around Southampton who can play what they teach and will not beat around the bush to drag out my learning in order to line their pockets, let me know!
[/quote]

Hello :)

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1327055335' post='1505643']
Tis True, Youtube is full to the brim with bass lesson. i.e. Marlow DK is a top guy (sure he will have been mentioned) No need to sit in front of someone to learn to slap.

We are so fortunate in these modern times!

I am sure the more 'experienced (time!) can tell you that once upon a time, there was nothing but your vinyl albums and cassette recorders to learn from.

I recall my ' bedroom days' when my amplifier was a wardrobe that was scratched to bits from my bass headstock pushed up against it, using it for its natural vibrational enhancements,
Those were the days.....................not!
[/quote]

Yep- how times have changes- so so so much easier to find out exactly how to do things nowadays- for more or less everything. Cant be improving peoples ear training though.

When I started playing, there were no "bass" tutors around. Everyone wanted to be a six-string god. Had about 3 lessons from a guy who taught my kid brother guitar. He was a propper "LA Sleaze wannabe" and in the end I gave up as he really wasnt much help - he actually admitted this, which was honest of him. I ended up teaching myself, a combination of ear and occasionaly Tab (No youtube in my day, or Tab websites. Had to buy a Tab Book for £7 to get ONE song that you actually needed to play!). I guess I do have "flaws" in my technique in fact I'm sure of it - but I play how I play. Can't sight read, cant slap, just starting to re-learn plectrum usage after 20 years of fingerstyle because I fancy it. Slap just leaves me cold - I can appreciate the skill it takes to do it effectively, but the only uses I've seen for it is to either be a member of RHCP, show off in a music shop, or demo a bass on youtube (because we all care what it sounds like slapped...)

I had about 3 months of lessons with one chap (also in Southampton :ph34r:) until I overheard him saying he reckoned all bass players were idiots to one of his guitar students.

I mean, I know we are... but saying it behind my back :(

Youtube keeps its thoughts to itself, it's brilliant.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327066870' post='1505946']
You should have refused to pay him in full, maybe give a token amount for the bass setup but I would not have paid for a full lesson.
[/quote]

Absolutely. It's a sad story but well worth sharing in order to help others looking for a tutor.

This is something that makes my blood boil :angry: So many people advertise as bass teachers who don't play bass. Use the links on here to find a recommended person who can provide testimonials. Good teachers are few and far between.

That said, these days there are so many great resources on the interweb for theory and stuff that i can't imagine why you would need to be taught theory by a person at least to an intermediate level.

Specific techniques like slap are easier (or should i say you will learn faster) with a real person i would say.

Sometimes there is more than one way to skin a cat. Lets take slap as an example. Is there a right way to slap? No. I use my thumb sticking up towards the sky - others have their thumb pointing down to the floor. Neither is wrong but what is more natural for you?

I've looked at youtube vids but can't seem to get the slapping technique. Most don't tell you where you should rest your arm and whether the hand should hover or rest on the body. It seems everyone plays slightly different with some teaching you to directly hit the string and others saying you should hit the bottom part of the string and end up with thumb on next string down. then there's those who say your thumb should be pointing upwards and others saying it should be perpendicular. It confused me as whatever method I tried either my fingers hit the body or my palm touched the strings. I decided to have lessons so a tutor could tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong. Last thing I want is to develop bad habits. It's harder to unlearn something than learn from scratch.
I doubt I will play slap much but I'd like to have the option of doing so and welcome a new challenge.

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1327135170' post='1506741']
Have a look at [url="http://www.riverstudios.co.uk/"]http://www.riverstudios.co.uk/[/url]
We're in Southampton and we know what we're doing....
Chris
[/quote]

Hey Chris, seems like you have a useful all round establishment going on there.
Looks like a great set up. ;)
Well worth people having a look.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1327068936' post='1506003']
[b] there are so many great resources on the interweb for theory and stuff [/b]that i can't imagine why you would need to be taught theory by a person at least to an intermediate level.

[/quote]

True, but people learn different ways. It's the old 'learning styles' theory. Some people just don't learn by reading. It's nothing to do with intelligence.
I think there'll always be a place for personal one-on-one teaching and learning. Even for the very basic stuff.

[quote name='skampino' timestamp='1327111706' post='1506692']
I've looked at youtube vids but can't seem to get the slapping technique. Most don't tell you where you should rest your arm and whether the hand should hover or rest on the body. It seems everyone plays slightly different with some teaching you to directly hit the string and others saying you should hit the bottom part of the string and end up with thumb on next string down. then there's those who say your thumb should be pointing upwards and others saying it should be perpendicular. It confused me as whatever method I tried either my fingers hit the body or my palm touched the strings. I decided to have lessons so a tutor could tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong. Last thing I want is to develop bad habits. It's harder to unlearn something than learn from scratch.
I doubt I will play slap much but I'd like to have the option of doing so and welcome a new challenge.
[/quote]

U-tube is a great resource, but it's no substitute for a real teacher who can see what you're doing wrong, and can answer specific questions.
A real teacher (for me at least) also gives more incentive to practise what you've learn't before the next lesson!

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1327141626' post='1506830']
I think there'll always be a place for personal one-on-one teaching and learning. Even for the very basic stuff.
[/quote]

I'd say, especially for the very basic stuff.
In fact, if you manage to get someone live to teach you proper basic technique (l/r hand, muting, alternating fingers etc..) then it's a lot easier to look at a youtube 'advanced' video and gather info from it. And with some study you'll be able to replicate that because you had a good basic technique laid down in the first place :)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1327137515' post='1506762']

Hey Chris, seems like you have a useful all round establishment going on there.
Looks like a great set up. ;)
Well worth people having a look.

Garry
[/quote]

Thanks Garry, Yeah, we're very proud of it!

Chris

[/quote]

Everyone does it differently, I think with slap any of the approaches you mention are valid but it can be difficult to find out what suits you.

My starting point is the height of your bass, plenty of people say your strap length should put the bass in the same position whether your standing or sitting. This also seems to make slapping easier in my experience.

However I wear my bass quite low as I play very little slap and a lower bass is more comfortable for me to play fingerstyle. If you're going to do that it's important to practice standing up otherwise all the angles change and most of your practice sitting down will be wasted.... unless you intend to gig sitting down.

I try to keep my thumb parallel with the strings so I'm less likely to hit two strings at once. When sitting (bass higher) my thumb is also parallel with my hand, but standing my thumb has to go to a more "thumbs up" position to still be parallel to the strings. I generally rest my forearm on the bass with most of the slap motion coming from twisting the forearm. Later on as you gain accuracy and confidence you'll find anchoring your forearm becomes less important and you can start showboating a bit.

Mostly I keep my palm off the strings but it can sometimes be useful for muting, however I'd suggest not worrying too much about right hand muting in the early stages of learning, you'll probably find yourself doing it automatically if you need to.

As mentioned in the Flea video above it's important either to bounce off the string or follow through to rest on the next string otherwise you'll mute the note. The follow through approach is useful as it can lead to the "double thumb" technique to get some serious speed. But I'm old skool and not interested in speed so I usually bounce, if you've got fast hands you can still play pretty fast with this method.

Once you've got your arm fairly well anchored and keep your bass at a suitable height for you it's just about practicing the basics. You'll soon improve your aim and get less bum notes and speed will follow, and a big part of slap is note length and muting on the fretting hand. It needs to be tight and accurate.

Good luck!

Edit: Also you might be surprised at how few of the notes are slapped or popped, hammer-ons and pull-offs are a great way to sound fast.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1327135170' post='1506741']
Have a look at www.riverstudios.co.uk

We're in Southampton and we know what we're doing....

Chris
[/quote]
Hey Chris,
I booked in with a tutor at another local studio before I saw your post. If it doesn't work out I will be in touch!

[/quote]

If you're really into learning the slap thing, get the DVD by Alexis Sklarevski called "The Slap Bass Programme". Out of all the slap bass videos that came out in the 1980's / early 90's this (IMO) is far & away the best of them all. It takes you from basics through to advanced, & all the advice the guy comes out with on the DVD is worth it's weight in Gold.

Edited by louisthebass

I have a mate who is a guitar tutor but also offers basic bass tuition. However, he is one of the few gtrists i've met who *really* understands bass and how it is such a different animal to gtr. He's a v.good bassist and could easily get a bass gig.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news....new tutor is amazing!
First lesson was really good. I learned a fair bit and have actually started slapping & popping quite well.
I can honestly say that whilst books, dvd's etc are ok they can't beat face to face instruction. Having someone there to ask questions and thwart any bad habits is priceless.