Why become a member? ×

A bloke walks into a music shop........

LeftyBiskit

This morning I called in at one of our few surviving music shops with the intention of purchasing a set of flatwounds for one of my basses.
Assistant replies err we dont stock them-dont get much call for 'em,
But we can order them in.....
no thank's I replies I just called in on the off chance.
no problem if you want a drum kit,heads,etc even roundwound strings(rotosounds only tho')but a measly pack of flats not a chance-I might as well have asked for an SB1 Deep Impact.
anyone else had this problem recently?
I could go to another music superstore I know of in Bolton,But them robbing a@#eholes are'nt getting a penny out of me no matter how desperate things get.
so its either a trip to Manchester or do a bit of online shopping.

I'm not entirely surprised though, i worked in a music shop for 18 months and never once got asked for flats (did once get asked if we sold spark plugs though!?). The chance of the shop having in stock the right brand/gauge is almost nil as usually people are pretty specific about that sort of thing.

I have the same problem with Rotosound Rounds, heavy gauge. Music shops just don`t stock them. Still, considering that even with delivery, a set from GAK is at least a fiver cheaper than a set of regular gauge in a music shop, not a problem!

I would like to use my local music shop, but the problems begin when you walk in and the owner's large and unfriendly dog comes to greet you, barking. This seems like a drawback (maybe not to others, but to me). Then you discover that even if he has the strings you want, they are nearly -three times- the cost of buying the same item online. So, at least a couple of things are wrong with the picture.

I've had good experiences in music shops in Bolton, and know most of the team in the one on Chorley Old Road well (HW I think it's called). Also at Booths for that matter.

Never tried to buy flats though, and from the retailer point of view I wonder how much stock they would have to carry to keep say 80% of visitors happy?

I used to manage a shop selling car audio gear and the internet thing was getting depressing even then (nearly 10 years ago now). In many cases the internet shops were selling such huge volumes that they retailed stuff cheaper than we could buy it trade.

Shops can reasonably claim that they are selling a different product in that you get advice and good service. Except that rather too often you don't. As somebody said, they make the mistake of employing musicians - the last people you would employ to provide good service :rolleyes:

My local shop does not stock bass strings at all...... but sells basses!

When I asked him, he was honest and said that nobody ever bought them as he could not compete on price.
The fact is that bass players rarely break strings so are not in a hurry to buy more.
They change them when 'dead' and ordering on line is cheaper and just as convenient.

Buy them online as it is not like you can try before you buy!

+1 to buying online. I got my TI flats from Stringbusters & was a quicker delivery than what it would have been had I tried to get parked in town, walk to the local music shop & then order them in (as they're not stocked). And probably a lot cheaper too!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1325170021' post='1480498']
I used to manage a shop selling car audio gear and the internet thing was getting depressing even then (nearly 10 years ago now). In many cases the internet shops were selling such huge volumes that they retailed stuff cheaper than we could buy it trade.

Shops can reasonably claim that they are selling a different product in that you get advice and good service. Except that rather too often you don't. As somebody said, they make the mistake of employing musicians - the last people you would employ to provide good service :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I don't consider the rise of internet shopping as particularly depressing . . . it's just a matter of adapting to the inevitable change.

As for the advice point, that's where forums such as BC are so valuable. Why ask one or two shop assistants for advice when you can ask a few hundred people for a whole range of views, often based on far more expertise and experience than could be found in a high street shop, and then make up your own mind.

Given the time and hassle involved in driving into town these days, not to mention the ridiculous cost of parking everywhere, I'm amazed retail businesses have survived as long as they have. I guess a lot of people still like the 'shopping experience' - which is fine, but it's not for me.

Trying to stock everything for everyone is a non starter in a small music shop.

You have to consider it from the owners point of view - why would he spend £10 on a set of strings that will sit on a shelf for a year or two and earn him nothing when he could spend that same £10 on a set of strings he knows he's going to get £20 for within a week or two?

I never could resist the lure of posting something controversial. :yarr:

The much-maligned Bass Cellar in Denmark Street used to stock a pretty reasonable selection of strings.

Not as broad as, say, an on-line vendor operating from an industrial unit near Milton Keynes, but good enough to meet immediate demand.

It's one of the reasons that I always hoped they would find a way to improve their service & attitude, and maybe win back some customers.

In the days before internet what we used to do where I worked was kept a book on the counter.
Anything we were asked for but hadn't got was noted along with a phone number.

When the shop was quiet (or after closing if we were busy) we'd go through the book, track down the suppliers (or do a deal with another shop if they were the local main dealer) and then ring the person back to let them know 'we've found the supplier, do you still want it?'.

We got let down a couple of times after we'd ordered stuff but, on the whole, it worked well and I honestly can't remember a disgruntled customer.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1325173580' post='1480549']
I don't consider the rise of internet shopping as particularly depressing . . . it's just a matter of adapting to the inevitable change.
... I guess a lot of people still like the 'shopping experience' - which is fine, but it's not for me.
[/quote]

Until you want to try something.

Promenade Music in Morecambe are excellent. They have a wide range of strings in stock,including a few different brands of flats. The shop is run by musicians and the service is great. The prices are competitive and they are always keen to do a deal for multiple purchases. Give them a try, ask for Gary 01524 410202. Thoroughly good people.

If they'll order it for you, isn't that all you'll do online? Just let them order and everyone's happy. Flats are still way behind rounds in popularity and they'll have investment limitations in how much stock they can carry.

While I buy some stuff on-line I pay more to buy in my local music shops. They normally will have a go at matching prices if you ask too. We have a great relationship with our local drum shop where my youngest buys his stuff, where they also tune his drums, repair things etc for him for no charge and know him by name. He can spend an hour gong through countless cymbals to choose one.

I do my best with bass stuff at PMT but its a big shop and the staff change quickly and, to be honest, I don't buy an awful lot anyway.

Yes things are changing and on-line shopping is more convenient and usually cheaper so by all means get your i-pods etc there but its not better for things like music gear. How many people on here regret buying basses/amps without trying.

I've used Strings Direct and Stringbusters and can recommend both highly. If you're prepared to buy bulk (10+ assorted guitar/bass sets at Strings Direct last time I looked) you get an even better deal, and I have a feeling p&p is free as well - may not be these days though. 10 sets was no prob for me as I could shift unused stock onto students for a small profit, but you'd have to decide for yourself if it's worth your while for an extra few percent.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1325179043' post='1480665']
How many people on here regret buying basses/amps without trying.
[/quote]

I only ever did it once with a 'major' purchase.
A Line 6 amp head, I hated it within minutes of switching it on.
Fortunately, the online retailer agreed to take it straight back and collected it the following day.