Why become a member? ×

A bloke walks into a music shop........

LeftyBiskit

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328201330' post='1523573']
Well back in the 80's when I worked in the industry the only dominant store in the area had a bit of a reputation for being erm... 'less than helpful', partly because there had been no real competition for 30 years.
Putting it bluntly, we wanted as many of their customers as we could get and went out of our way to make sure we were as different from them as we could possibly be.

We nicked ideas from loads of different places and tweaked them to give us any advantage we could get.

I'm sure our 'setup when quiet' policy happens in a lot of stores, but it's only going to be an 'improvement' as what constitutes a 'good setup' is so subjective. .
[/quote]

Was this in Leicester ? I always found the Carlsboro centre helpful , Mind you, I did buy a Precision off them that they 'hadnt had time to set up'.

Green Lanes Music was OK as well back in the day.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328196142' post='1523455']
You as well?!?

Is there anyone here that doesn't live in the Tamworth area? :lol:

Probably the reason I've not noticed music shops over in Tamworth is that I don't stay long enough to wander about, I just go to specific places.
[/quote]
I used to live in Nuneaton, which isn't far from Tamworth. I have to say, though, that I avoided the place like the plague. I hate the place and I've never met a polite person while there, ever. And there was a band from Tamworth that wanted to poach me from another band. At some point, while they were at my place, begging and pleading and then getting nasty, the singer stole my old Shure Microphone, because he didn't have one of his own!

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1328202869' post='1523641']
Was this in Leicester ? I always found the Carlsboro centre helpful , Mind you, I did buy a Precision off them that they 'hadnt had time to set up'.

Green Lanes Music was OK as well back in the day.
[/quote]

No.
Back in those days Leicester was a mythical place as far as I was concerned - I was in Luton. :)

In June, last year, I went looking for a 4x10 Bass cab. We visited every music shop we could find in South Wales, without actually going as far as Cardiff. In all of the shops we went to we found a total of 2 Bass cabs, 1 little MarkBass and one secondhand Orange 4x10 that they wanted £600 for, which was more than I had to spend. I knew if was going to be too much but he wouldn't tell me how much, just kept going on about how good it was, finally, after about 30 minutes, he disappeared and came back about 10 minutes later with the price.
The place with the MarkBass was totally different, I could barely get a word out of the bloke behind the counter, he really, desperately didn't want to look up from his newspaper. They had a Bass in there that I liked but I couldn't get the bloke to even look at me. This was on a Friday. I thought about it overnight, I really did like the look of that Bass, so I decided to give it another go and we went back on the Saturday. What a difference! There was more staff and they were really enthusiastic. So I bought the Bass and even got a discount that I didn't ask for.

Also:

When I was a kid I worked in a Guitar/Drum shop with a fantastic reputation locally. But somethings bugged me. For most of the time I was there, every week a young girl would come in and ask if we'd got the Tambourine in that we siad we'd order for her. There was bloke too who had ordered some kind of oil filled Snare Drum skin, every two weeks he would come in and ask and everytime the boss would say "No, sorry, it's not come in yet.". He'd never ordered it, that or the Tambourine.
It was a tiny little shop but it was always full of people, staff and their mates, smoking like chimneys, so much so that we used to clean the "White" Guitars with lighter fluid to help stop them turning yellow.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328196142' post='1523455']
You as well?!?

Is there anyone here that doesn't live in the Tamworth area? :lol:

Probably the reason I've not noticed music shops over in Tamworth is that I don't stay long enough to wander about, I just go to specific places.
[/quote]

There's Crack Converters just down from the church

Cash Creators (Which has a nice Pre-CBS Mustang bass in the window for £799 - is this a bargain?) In George Street near the Peel Statue and does a fair few instruments
And Evans is the one near the Pizza place (PizzaHut delivery only)

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1328203387' post='1523665']
I used to live in Nuneaton, which isn't far from Tamworth. I have to say, though, that I avoided the place like the plague. I hate the place and I've never met a polite person while there, ever. And there was a band from Tamworth that wanted to poach me from another band. At some point, while they were at my place, begging and pleading and then getting nasty, the singer stole my old Shure Microphone, because he didn't have one of his own!
[/quote]

Ah well, you see, I was born in ~Coventry - that makes all the difference!! Which band was it? I'm intrigued - most of the local ones I knew were knobs to say the least!! PM me!!

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1328366056' post='1526051']
There's Crack Converters just down from the church

Cash Creators (Which has a nice Pre-CBS Mustang bass in the window for £799 - is this a bargain?) In George Street near the Peel Statue and does a fair few instruments
And Evans is the one near the Pizza place (PizzaHut delivery only)
[/quote]

I have a bit of a personal ethical dilemma with Crack Convertors and it's rivals so I tend to stay well away.

I'm not sure that £799 for a pre CBS Mustang is a particularly good deal.
Although there's been a bit of an upsurgance of interest in Mustangs over the last few years, back in the 60's they were just a lower quality entry level product.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1328366243' post='1526056']
Ah well, you see, I was born in ~Coventry - that makes all the difference!! Which band was it? I'm intrigued - most of the local ones I knew were knobs to say the least!! PM me!!
[/quote]
I have no idea what they were called. I don't think they were together for very long, and this was 18 years ago.

I lived in Coventry for a couple of weeks. In a stairwell by a building by the Showcase Cinema, while I was homeless.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1328203387' post='1523665']
[color=#0000cd][b]I used to live in Nuneaton, which isn't far from Tamworth. I have to say, though, that I avoided the place like the plague[/b][/color]. I hate the place and I've never met a polite person while there, ever. And there was a band from Tamworth that wanted to poach me from another band. At some point, while they were at my place, begging and pleading and then getting nasty, the singer stole my old Shure Microphone, because he didn't have one of his own!
[/quote]

Have to agree, I dont live there, Just not far away. they seem to hate anyone with a Birmingham accent as well which dont help much.

Nuneaton aint much better though, but at least there were a few good venues there...

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1328384694' post='1526348']
Have to agree, I dont live there, Just not far away. they seem to hate anyone with a Birmingham accent as well which dont help much.

Nuneaton aint much better though, but at least there were a few good venues there...
[/quote]
I was very, very glad to get away from Nuneaton, it turned into an absolute hell hole and a scumpit. Had to go 160 miles away to feel free of the place. Lived there for 26 years and I will never, ever, go back, not even to visit, there is nothing in that place that I want anything to do with ever again.

Yeah, so, I can't say I like it much...