Why become a member? ×

A bloke walks into a music shop........

LeftyBiskit

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1328178976' post='1522996']Mainly it's a lack of dynamic customer service but I do realise that it must be the hardest thing in the world continually being nice to tyre kickers.[/quote]

I stopped going in guitar shops because they seem to treat everybody like that now. I don't think I've sat down with a guitar in a guitar shop since the late '90s (and that time I bought it) because it seems whenever I go in the staff are being twats to whoever's in there and I don't have the patience to be on the receiving end of their bullshit any more.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1328190877' post='1523307']
I stopped going in guitar shops because they seem to treat everybody like that now. I don't think I've sat down with a guitar in a guitar shop since the late '90s (and that time I bought it) because it seems whenever I go in the staff are being twats to whoever's in there and I don't have the patience to be on the receiving end of their bullshit any more.
[/quote]

I usually take a firm approach to guitar shop staff that wish to push their superiority complexes upon me if the store is offering something I think looks reasonable. They're there to serve you after all, so it's not like you have to take any of the sh*t they will sometimes try to shovel you.

A few months back I was in a shop in Liverpool that will remain unnamed. I was looking at one of the Fender Marcus Millers they had in there. The guy plugged me in to a feeble little Roland affair, and left me to play for a bit. Under a minute in and I was pretty sick at the fact that the bass hadn't been set up at all; fretbuzz all over the neck, intonation issues too. The guy's excuse for this was "we don't have time to set up every guitar and bass in the shop". I told him in no fewer words that he should probably find the time, seeing as the instrument cost over £1000 and was by far and away the most expensive thing they had on the bass guitar rack at the time. Absolute moron.

On the flip side of things, I've also dealt with some great people. I phoned Bass Direct a few weeks back to enquire about an amp they had in and they couldn't have been more friendly and informative. Likewise with the Bass Gallery down in Camden last time i was there, customer service was really great.

Edited by risingson

To add to the death of the music shop, I recently discovered that a small one had opened up in Tamworth a few years ago, I just hadn't realised it was there. So instead of my usual perusal of Crack converters and Cash Creators, thought I'd have a nose.

So we have a fairly nice Westfield B1000 P-Copy... for £183!!!! Same one you can get from Fleabay for £99, and the same one I picked up out of Crack converters for £40 s/h. There were a couple of other no name basses in there for similairly inflated amounts. Now for a budget bass the Westfields are pretty good... but £183 ?? Most expensive I've seen online is £140

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1328192205' post='1523343']
I recently discovered that a small one had opened up in Tamworth a few years ago, I just hadn't realised it was there.
[/quote]

Where abouts is that?
I'm over in Tamworth quite often and haven't spotted it either! :)

I'm lucky enough to have a good relationship with a shop in Ibstock (I live in the next village), not a huge range of bass product but they'll always get stuff in and do their best to match internet prices.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1328192112' post='1523339']
... The guy's excuse for this was "we don't have time to set up every guitar and bass in the shop". I told him in no fewer words that he should probably find the time,
[/quote]

That's the other thing. Always excuses. I want stuff, not excuses. Like the guy who wanted to buy flats I always get 'We can order them in for you' - I can order them in for myself, cheaper, but I was hoping to get it today which is why I trudged across here to find out you've got as many of them as I have.

I know it's expensive to stock a guitar shop but really, if all you're going to offer is budget basses, bedroom amps and six different sets of strings then you can't grumble when you get no bass players buying anything from you.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1328178976' post='1522996']
The point I was making is that you have to do something different from the big online shops. They can buy bulk etc but don't have that casual walk in and browse thing.

If you have a PC in the shop that you can let customers see what you can get in and they know it will be there next day you may not lose their custom. I get told "We can try and get some in for you", rather than "I don't have any in stock but can get some here for tomorrow."
[/quote]

This is my experience with going into a shop which doesn't have what I want on stock. They can normally have a go at matching the price too. I always use shops when I can, even if it might be a little more, I'll pay for the facility.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1328192799' post='1523359']
That's the other thing. Always excuses. I want stuff, not excuses. Like the guy who wanted to buy flats I always get 'We can order them in for you' - I can order them in for myself, cheaper, but I was hoping to get it today which is why I trudged across here to find out you've got as many of them as I have.

[/quote]

Of course, all the on line dicount outlets set up individual instruments to your personal desires, don't they?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1328192799' post='1523359']

I know it's expensive to stock a guitar shop but really, if all you're going to offer is budget basses, bedroom amps and six different sets of strings then you can't grumble when you get no bass players buying anything from you.
[/quote]

Which is why I would guess that a large percentage of bass players who use this forum and are already internet-savvy will probably much prefer to shop for their gear online. It is a tremendous shame though because part of the excitement of buying a new instrument is playing it first, and getting inspired to save, or indeed buying right there and then. Not that the same can be said for strings for example, but it's great to actually buy a product from a real person in a shop full of nice guitars and basses or whatever.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328192642' post='1523353']
Where abouts is that?

I'm lucky enough to have a good relationship with a shop in Ibstock (I live in the next village), not a huge range of bass product but they'll always get stuff in and do their best to match internet prices.
[/quote]

It used to be an oldfashioned "junk shop". Evans Music I think its called. You cut through the car park opposite the Assembly Rooms and turn left. opens funny days (closed Mondays and Wednesdays I think) [url="http://www.evansmusic.co.uk/"]http://www.evansmusic.co.uk/[/url] website.

My two guitarists are from vaguely up your way - ones from Measham, other lives in Overseal but was Measham originally.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328192642' post='1523353']
Where abouts is that?

[/quote]

Opposite Wilkinsons ?? theres another one round the corner as well, as you walk towards the Pizza place. Never been in them though.

I usually take a firm approach to guitar shop staff that wish to push their superiority complexes upon me if the store is offering something I think looks reasonable. They're there to serve you after all, so it's not like you have to take any of the sh*t they will sometimes try to shovel you.

A few months back I was in a shop in Liverpool that will remain unnamed. I was looking at one of the Fender Marcus Millers they had in there. The guy plugged me in to a feeble little Roland affair, and left me to play for a bit. Under a minute in and I was pretty sick at the fact that the bass hadn't been set up at all; fretbuzz all over the neck, intonation issues too. The guy's excuse for this was "we don't have time to set up every guitar and bass in the shop". I told him in no fewer words that he should probably find the time, seeing as the instrument cost over £1000 and was by far and away the most expensive thing they had on the bass guitar rack at the time. Absolute moron.
[/quote]

To be fair that is the kind of attitude that instantly makes me lose respect for a customer. You get one customer in who complains that the set-up is rubbish because the action is too high, then the next customer complains it's not high enough. As long as it's playable without any major issues, then the customer should accept that they will have to have it set-up to their personal preference AFTER they've bought it.

I've spent nearly 2 hours with a customer before, knowing that they were highly unlikely to buy anything and just wanted to inform their intended purchase (whether that was with us or not) just because the guy came in and talked to me like he valued my opinion. He didn't get into dick-measuring, which a lot of customers try, but at the same time he appreciated my opinion as a fellow musician. Having that respect for me and visa-versa makes for a much better shopping experience for both customer and sales assistant.

As for the 'they're there to serve you' comment, that's just idiotic. The assistants in ANY shop are there to accomodate you while you decide to purchase something. Running around and having to put up with crap from a customer just because they MIGHT buy something is just not acceptable...

You wouldnt p!ss all over the toilet floors in a shopping center because there's someone there to run in and clean it up, you have the respect to appreciate that these people have to work and have the right to be respected whilst they do it... they are human beings too.

But some customers feel its their right to be given the red carpet treatment DESPITE being a total arsehole to everyone in the shop.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1328193345' post='1523379']
It used to be an oldfashioned "junk shop". Evans Music I think its called. You cut through the car park opposite the Assembly Rooms and turn left. opens funny days (closed Mondays and Wednesdays I think) [url="http://www.evansmusic.co.uk/"]http://www.evansmusic.co.uk/[/url] website.

My two guitarists are from vaguely up your way - ones from Measham, other lives in Overseal but was Measham originally.
[/quote]

Ah - I go through Measham to get to Tamworth. :)
I'll try and track down Evans the next time I'm in Tamworth for a look, but their website does make their range look a little 'limited' (I've never seen a shop get so excited about plectrums before :) )

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1328195404' post='1523439']
Opposite Wilkinsons ?? theres another one round the corner as well, as you walk towards the Pizza place. Never been in them though.
[/quote]

You as well?!?

Is there anyone here that doesn't live in the Tamworth area? :lol:

Probably the reason I've not noticed music shops over in Tamworth is that I don't stay long enough to wander about, I just go to specific places.

[/quote]

When I worked in music retail we used to get stock arrivals straight on the hangers as soon as it arrived and get price tickets sorted.
When we were quiet we used to take the new stock down and then check it over to get rid of any general setup issues and then put an 'X' on the back of the price ticket so we didn't repeat the exercise unnecessarily (yeah, we cherry picked :)).

If it was a high value sale then we'd happily make any other non invasive tweaks, because we needed that sale to invest in more and better stock.

I think in all the time I was there, I only had one customer who felt he needed to speak down to me, and I threw him out. :)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1328195844' post='1523448']
To be fair that is the kind of attitude that instantly makes me lose respect for a customer. You get one customer in who complains that the set-up is rubbish because the action is too high, then the next customer complains it's not high enough. As long as it's playable without any major issues, then the customer should accept that they will have to have it set-up to their personal preference AFTER they've bought it.

I've spent nearly 2 hours with a customer before, knowing that they were highly unlikely to buy anything and just wanted to inform their intended purchase (whether that was with us or not) just because the guy came in and talked to me like he valued my opinion. He didn't get into dick-measuring, which a lot of customers try, but at the same time he appreciated my opinion as a fellow musician. Having that respect for me and visa-versa makes for a much better shopping experience for both customer and sales assistant.

As for the 'they're there to serve you' comment, that's just idiotic. The assistants in ANY shop are there to accomodate you while you decide to purchase something. Running around and having to put up with crap from a customer just because they MIGHT buy something is just not acceptable...

You wouldnt p!ss all over the toilet floors in a shopping center because there's someone there to run in and clean it up, you have the respect to appreciate that these people have to work and have the right to be respected whilst they do it... they are human beings too.

But some customers feel its their right to be given the red carpet treatment DESPITE being a total arsehole to everyone in the shop.
[/quote]

Tell me, at what stage does it become acceptable for a shop not to take into consideration the setup of an instrument, when said instrument is priced at above a thousand pounds (or even under for that matter)? The bass in question was terribly set up. Although I'll happily account for the fact that some instruments may not be totally to my fitting, it is totally ridiculous for shops that intend to sell bass guitars at £1000+ to not take into consideration the performance of their instruments right off the shelf. Would you have told me the same thing?

I don't expect to be pampered when I walk into a shop (although there are one or two stores that will offer me tea or coffee when I go in, customer service goes a long way), and am incredibly polite (if I don't say so myself!) but I do expect a level of service to be met and that includes a good knowledge of inventory, good customer relations, and if I'm paying top dollar for an instrument, care of the instruments in the store too. Is this asking too much in this day and age?

And as much as you might dislike the association of a store assistant being there to serve the customer, I'd have great difficulty trying to define the job by any other means. That doesn't mean that you need to take crap from customers either, no question, but it also doesn't mean that you should get to reserve the right to be surly to customers, whether you deem them potential buyers or not, or deal them a load of misinformation. I know, I've done the job before, just under different circumstances, and I would definitely argue that there are a lot of music stores out there that need to seriously assess the way they deal with people that walk through their shop doors.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328197081' post='1523469'] When I worked in music retail we used to get stock arrivals straight on the hangers as soon as it arrived and get price tickets sorted. When we were quiet we used to take the new stock down and then check it over to get rid of any general setup issues and then put an 'X' on the back of the price ticket so we didn't repeat the exercise unnecessarily (yeah, we cherry picked :)). If it was a high value sale then we'd happily make any other non invasive tweaks, because we needed that sale to invest in more and better stock. I think in all the time I was there, I only had one customer who felt he needed to speak down to me, and I threw him out. :) [/quote]

I wish this could happen in every store! I'm unaware of the guidelines set up by major music retailers as to this kind of thing, but this should definitely be featured somewhere, probably in bold and underlined.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1328196142' post='1523455']
You as well?!?

Is there anyone here that doesn't live in the Tamworth area? :lol:

Probably the reason I've not noticed music shops over in Tamworth is that I [b]don't stay long enough to wander about[/b], I just go to specific places.
[/quote]

Nor me, just run into the bank, then out again usually.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1328197451' post='1523480']
Tell me, at what stage does it become acceptable for a shop not to take into consideration the setup of an instrument, when said instrument is priced at above a thousand pounds (or even under for that matter)? The bass in question was terribly set up. Although I'll happily account for the fact that some instruments may not be totally to my fitting, it is totally ridiculous for shops that intend to sell bass guitars at £1000+ to not take into consideration the performance of their instruments right off the shelf. Would you have told me the same thing?

I don't expect to be pampered when I walk into a shop (although there are one or two stores that will offer me tea or coffee when I go in, customer service goes a long way), and am incredibly polite (if I don't say so myself!) but I do expect a level of service to be met and that includes a good knowledge of inventory, good customer relations, and if I'm paying top dollar for an instrument, care of the instruments in the store too. Is this asking too much in this day and age?

And as much as you might dislike the association of a store assistant being there to serve the customer, I'd have great difficulty trying to define the job by any other means. That doesn't mean that you need to take crap from customers either, no question, but it also doesn't mean that you should get to reserve the right to be surly to customers, whether you deem them potential buyers or not, or deal them a load of misinformation. I know, I've done the job before, just under different circumstances, and I would definitely argue that there are a lot of music stores out there that need to seriously assess the way they deal with people that walk through their shop doors.
[/quote]

I would have had the bass set-up so that there were no major issues. I.e., Intonation would have been spot-on, no fret buzz and new strings. Action probably medium height.

As for your comments about customer service, I agree. There are levels that should be met. You should have an extensive yet appropriate knowledge of the instruments (but should be forgiven if you don't know, for example, what material the machine that winds the pickups is made from... yes, I did have someone ask that once *sigh*) and I also agree with taking care of the instruments in the store...

However, that is another issue that raises problems, because in order to protect an instrument on the wall, you have to be selective over who you let play it, which by definition means you need to make judgements about an individual and whether they intend to purchase it or just want to rip a whole through the scratchplate playing mediocre slap bass because they have 10 minutes left of their lunch hour.

Luckily, our shop tends to have back-up stock that is brand new and not shop soiled so we can afford to let some instruments take a hit on the shelf and drop the price at a later date to shift it, but I think it's a dilemma for smaller businesses, because they need to protect their stock by not letting tyre kickers play the bass, which in turn will inevitably lose them custom.

I also agree that the way we deal with customers needs to be improved, but I also believe that customers need to change their attitudes too.

In the US for example, people actively decide to pursue a career in customer service and the americans (or the majority of) respect that and appreciate it when they get good service (as they show through tipping etc). Whilst this is not my personal ambition, I think the attitudes shown by customers and sales staff in the US is something we should aspire to.

I think in our country, we are all to eager to want the best/most out of everybody for nothing (as we show by taking advice from store assistants free and then purchasing online because it's £5 cheaper).

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1328198279' post='1523502']
I would have had the bass set-up so that there were no major issues. I.e., Intonation would have been spot-on, no fret buzz and new strings. Action probably medium height.

As for your comments about customer service, I agree. There are levels that should be met. You should have an extensive yet appropriate knowledge of the instruments (but should be forgiven if you don't know, for example, what material the machine that winds the pickups is made from... yes, I did have someone ask that once *sigh*) and I also agree with taking care of the instruments in the store...

However, that is another issue that raises problems, because in order to protect an instrument on the wall, you have to be selective over who you let play it, which by definition means you need to make judgements about an individual and whether they intend to purchase it or just want to rip a whole through the scratchplate playing mediocre slap bass because they have 10 minutes left of their lunch hour.

Luckily, our shop tends to have back-up stock that is brand new and not shop soiled so we can afford to let some instruments take a hit on the shelf and drop the price at a later date to shift it, but I think it's a dilemma for smaller businesses, because they need to protect their stock by not letting tyre kickers play the bass, which in turn will inevitably lose them custom.

I also agree that the way we deal with customers needs to be improved, but I also believe that customers need to change their attitudes too.

In the US for example, people actively decide to pursue a career in customer service and the americans (or the majority of) respect that and appreciate it when they get good service (as they show through tipping etc). Whilst this is not my personal ambition, I think the attitudes shown by customers and sales staff in the US is something we should aspire to.

I think in our country, we are all to eager to want the best/most out of everybody for nothing (as we show by taking advice from store assistants free and then purchasing online because it's £5 cheaper).
[/quote]

I think some stores have issues that are well beyond what happens at shop level. For me at least, the pedantry side of things doesn't happen... I couldn't tell you what kind of machine head gets manufactured where, how and why or what pickups work best in which position etc. I'm not a gear head in that way, I just know what I like :). But yeh, basic info is always nice.

The 'window shopper' aspect of the job is a funny one. I think discretion is the name of the game, like anything. Unfortunately, because of the nature of selling an instrument that can often be truly expensive and incredibly fragile, the necessity to actually have people in a store try instruments is something that just cannot and should not be avoided. It should of course be a bargain equally upheld by the customer in their respect for property that isn't theirs, but even if they aren't serious on buying a bass or guitar from you, it can often be a good way of ensuring that they come back to the store again, even just for a pack of strings or two.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1328199184' post='1523532']
I think some stores have issues that are well beyond what happens at shop level. For me at least, the pedantry side of things doesn't happen... I couldn't tell you what kind of machine head gets manufactured where, how and why or what pickups work best in which position etc. I'm not a gear head in that way, I just know what I like :). But yeh, basic info is always nice.

The 'window shopper' aspect of the job is a funny one. I think discretion is the name of the game, like anything. Unfortunately, because of the nature of selling an instrument that can often be truly expensive and incredibly fragile, the necessity to actually have people in a store try instruments is something that just cannot and should not be avoided. It should of course be a bargain equally upheld by the customer in their respect for property that isn't theirs, but even if they aren't serious on buying a bass or guitar from you, it can often be a good way of ensuring that they come back to the store again, even just for a pack of strings or two.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree with you more.

Unfortunately though, there are customers that don't have that respect/understanding and there are FAR too many "customers" who pop down to their local music shop to do a bit of dick-measuring to make themselves feel better without ever actually buying anything...

Edited by skej21

Interesting thread, but can I give another perspective and name names........................ I stress I have no affiliations or vested interests only a superb experience to relate.

In 2005 I sold off a load of my gear to invest in one really good playable guitar.

Having acrued a reasonable sum I then started to look around for what I wanted and ended up in a shop about a 2 hour drive from home.
I was left in peace whilst browsing and when I asked to try a particular guitar it was taken off the wall, checked over and cleaned off by the staff and I was installed, on my own, in the amp room with the door shut and allowed to play the guitar through any amp I wanted.
10 minutes later I had made up my mind to purchase and asked to do so.
The guitar was taken from me, thoroughly checked over again by the owner of the shop, cleaned again and to my astonishment the truss rod was tweaked to "suit my playing style" all this whilst a mug of much needed tea was produced for me along with a lot of good natured banter from the staff.
As I was about to leave I was also offered a special amp at a good price.
I tried the amp , did the deal and returned with funds the following week to collect it and subsequently bought a second much cheaper guitar at the same time.

The shop was Machine Head Music in Hitchin and the owner was Geoff Pumfritt who retired a few months later.

He is now out of retirement and running a wonderful shop in Stonehouse, Glos.

I have never experienced such amazing customer service before or since and I would recommmend anyone to try him just to prove that there are a lot of good'ns still out there.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1328197868' post='1523492']
I wish this could happen in every store! I'm unaware of the guidelines set up by major music retailers as to this kind of thing, but this should definitely be featured somewhere, probably in bold and underlined.
[/quote]

Well back in the 80's when I worked in the industry the only dominant store in the area had a bit of a reputation for being erm... 'less than helpful', partly because there had been no real competition for 30 years.
Putting it bluntly, we wanted as many of their customers as we could get and went out of our way to make sure we were as different from them as we could possibly be.

We nicked ideas from loads of different places and tweaked them to give us any advantage we could get.

I'm sure our 'setup when quiet' policy happens in a lot of stores, but it's only going to be an 'improvement' as what constitutes a 'good setup' is so subjective. .

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1328201017' post='1523565']
The shop was Machine Head Music in Hitchin and the owner was Geoff Pumfritt who retired a few months later.

He is now out of retirement and running a wonderful shop in Stonehouse, Glos.

I have never experienced such amazing customer service before or since and I would recommmend anyone to try him just to prove that there are a lot of good'ns still out there.
[/quote]

I did a lot of business with Geoff and his guys - top bloke's the lot of them :)