Why become a member? ×

Your Nemesis Song

Nibody

Do you have a song that you just CANT nail, or you truly hate playing?

In my case it's Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden (the intro) - I learnt it wrong when I first started playing all those years ago, and I've sat playing by ear, looked at Tab books, gone to sleep with a picture of Steve Harris under my pillow... doesnt matter what I try I ALWAYS end up playing it the way I first learned in which is usually followed by choice language! I'm not a sight-reader, took after my mum and dad who were folkies - always found ear easier. What makes it worse is I love the song, and being schooled in the Steve Harris style the first thing I usualy get asked when I pull out a Precision is "Can you play Phantom?"

So whats the song that usually creeps up and hits you over the head or ties your shoe laces together!? Im sure some of you Pro's and Sight Readers dont have this problem!!

I had to learn Galway Girl for a short notice dep job not long ago, and for a four note bass line, it drive me insane! I know, I know, it sounds stupid, but I just couldn't get it to stay in my head. On the night, I turned all the treble off, mumbled through it and glared at the guitarist occasionally. Worked a treat. :)

My one is that 'woh oh oh my sex is on fire' thing.
Absolutely hate it, always manage to start in the wrong place, always manage to lose track of where I am in the tune because it's so bl**dy dull and I lose the will to live after two bars.
I haven't managed to jetison it from the set because it's a crowd pleaser. :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1321697259' post='1442001']
i think hi ho silver lining should be a lawful excuse for GBH :)
[/quote]

True dat. Whenever I dep for bands I'll always ask for a setlist in advance. Usually I'll make an excuse about "Oh, Hi Ho Silver lining is offensive to short people, goldsmiths and tailors - so on those grounds I respectfully request its withdrawal" or similar to try to avoid playing it.

My absolute Nemesis in terms of, "can't really properly play it" would have to be "Hit me with your rythm stick."

I can play it at a slower speed, but never nailed it at the correct tempo.

My fingers on my right hand move far too much it seems to be in place for the next note.
Maybe I should work on tightening that up a bit.

I can do 16th notes at that speed, but not fluently across the strings like Norman does.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1321699917' post='1442054']
My absolute Nemesis in terms of, "can't really properly play it" would have to be "Hit me with your rythm stick."

I can play it at a slower speed, but never nailed it at the correct tempo.

My fingers on my right hand move far too much it seems to be in place for the next note.
Maybe I should work on tightening that up a bit.

I can do 16th notes at that speed, but not fluently across the strings like Norman does.
[/quote]

Well the man is a fine player

[quote name='blind pilot' timestamp='1321696808' post='1441994']
Why will it not post my you link? is it different now........... :)

anyway its Rossetta Stoned by Tool!
[/quote]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uytWxYKSupI[/media]

you need to do it this way, these days:
[CODE]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uytWxYKSupI[/media]
[/CODE]

Edited by bartelby

Double nemesis for my heavy band was 'Little WIng'. Ex-guitarist would almost invariably cock up the intro and half way through something melodic I would stick in a bum note. New guitarist plays it differently, doesn't cock up (but I still do occasionally :) )